PHForums Home PHForums PHForums Gallery PHF Arcade User Control Panel Register! Member List Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search Forums

Go Back   Pixie Hollow - Disney Fairies Online Forums > Other > Beyond the Hollow

Beyond the Hollow For anything not relating to Pixie Hollow or Fairies

Old Dulcie's Kitchen - A Shared Recipe Book

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 06-30-2016, 03:24 AM
Tinkering away
View Onionleaf's Photo Album
Onionleaf's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Thanksgiving 2017 Award Halloween 2017 Award Autumn Equinox Award 2017 Pet Training 2017 Award International Friendship Day Award 2017 July the 4th Award 2017 Summer Solstice Award 2017 Pixie Write An Acrostic Poem Award 2017 
Total Awards: 170

My Mood: Flutterish
Onionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond repute
Tinker Talent Water Talent
Dulcie's Kitchen - A Shared Recipe Book

Welcome to Dulcie's Kitchen, pixies!

As much as all the Mods love to see you flit in and out of the kitchen to bake them scrumptious (and unusual) cookie treats, they're also big fans of culinary delights in general.
Dulcie would be eager to let you borrow her kitchen to try out all sorts of recipes and share them with the pixie community!

Would you like to join in? Whether you're a baking-talent, have hungry mouths to feed at home, or simply like the idea of cooking something new, then this is the place for you!

~~~

Tiramisu and I have arranged a Dashboard in the kitchen for you all, so you can start filling it in as soon as you are ready.
It includes a categorised list of recipes that you can browse, with links that direct you to the posted recipe. We hope you will find it useful!

(Note: These links may not always work correctly, but I'll be working on fixing that soon!)

Breakfast | Main Meals | Soups | Salads
Snacks | Drinks | Desserts

<> Breakfast:
• Nothing yet!

<> Main Meals:
Classic Grilled Cheese by popcorn1234

<> Soups:
• Nothing yet!

<> Salads:
Apple & Carrot Salad by Onionleaf

<> Snacks:
Cocoa Scones by Sapphira110
Black Sesame Castella by Sapphira110

<> Drinks:
• Nothing yet!

<> Desserts:
Blueberry Cake with Peanut Streusel (with a twist!) by Tanglethorn
Blueberry & Lemon Drizzle Cake by Onionleaf

Our Baking-Talents:

As a way of saying thank you to all the participants, we're giving out points (and rewards!) to all our baking-talents!
As soon as you enter the kitchen, you'll start earning points for every little bit of help that you give.

Here's a quick outline of what you can do to help, and what you can expect to receive:

Share a recipe = 5 points
Share a fairy-themed recipe = +2 points (the + means it's added to the original 5 points)
Share a recipe that you created yourself = +2 points
Cook one of the recipes and write a review (just 1-2 sentences) = 3 points
Fulfill a request for a recipe = +2 points
Request a particular recipe = 1 point
Provide feedback on something = 1 point

We have lots of little gold stars and gifts planned for you, but you will have to wait and see what they will be!

Feel free to also write a little bit about yourself and we'll add the information under your name.
For example, you can write about what type of meals you would prefer to cook, or any likes or dislikes. Keep it short and sweet!

All of our baking-talents are listed below:

Onionleaf
14 points
  • While no baking-talent, this fairy is usually in charge of dinner at home.
  • Would be very grateful for some shared vegan recipes, or at least something with fish or seafood (but nothing spicy, please!)

Tiramisu
0 points
  • Loves to cook and bake daily, making up dishes as she goes along.
  • Enjoys cooking with minimal ingredients, fresh, and with fruits and vegetables!
  • Makes sweets often, and loves sharing them with others.

popcorn1234
5 points
  • Just beginning to get into cooking
  • Loves quick, easy, and delicious recipes!

Sapphira110
12 points
  • Rather bake treats than cook, like cookies and cakes.
  • Not a big meat eater, but would love tips on how to properly cook meat so it's safe to eat.

Tanglethorn
7 points
  • Is a keen recipe collector!

You are welcome to write your recipes in whatever format you like, but follow this template and you will never go wrong!

Quote:
[SIZE="4"][B][U]Recipe Title[/U][/B][/SIZE]

[IMG]Enter URL of image here (optional)[/IMG]

[B]Type of Meal:[/B] (Note: See the list of categories and choose the one that fits best)
[B]Time to Prepare:[/B]
Serves # (or for how many people?)

[I]Enter a short description here (optional).[/I] (For example: Vegetarian? A traditional recipe [name the country]? Perfect for parties, or has a theme? Created exclusively by you?)

[SIZE="3"][B][U]Ingredients:[/U][/B][/SIZE]

List them here. Don't forget the amounts required!

[SIZE="3"][B][U]Instructions:[/U][/B][/SIZE] (Try to be as detailed as you can)
[LIST=1][*]...
[*]...
[*]...[/LIST]

Please enjoy filling-in this Recipe Book. I can't wait to begin trying out the new recipes, as well as share some of my own favorites!

Profile pic by Mia L ~ Thank you! ♥ ~ Site Rules ~ Pixie Hollow Wiki

Last edited by Onionleaf; 10-03-2016 at 09:40 AM. Reason: updated
Old 07-01-2016, 05:59 AM
Loves my PHF friends!
View popcorn1234's Photo Album
popcorn1234's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Thanksgiving 2017 Award Halloween 2017 Award Autumn Equinox Award 2017 Talk Like A Pirate Day Award 2017 Scavenger Hunt 2017 Award International Friendship Day Award 2017 Summer Vacation 2017 Award July the 4th Award 2017 
Total Awards: 137

My Mood: Distracting
popcorn1234 is Tinker Bell's best friendpopcorn1234 is Tinker Bell's best friendpopcorn1234 is Tinker Bell's best friendpopcorn1234 is Tinker Bell's best friendpopcorn1234 is Tinker Bell's best friendpopcorn1234 is Tinker Bell's best friendpopcorn1234 is Tinker Bell's best friendpopcorn1234 is Tinker Bell's best friendpopcorn1234 is Tinker Bell's best friendpopcorn1234 is Tinker Bell's best friendpopcorn1234 is Tinker Bell's best friend
Light Talent Tinker Talent Animal Talent
Ooh, what a wonderful idea, Alexia and Tiramisu! I don't know too many recipes, but I'll share which ones I've tried here!
Little bit of info on me:
Just beginning to get into cooking
Loves quick, easy, and delicious recipes!

Here's an easy one I like to make for lunch sometimes: grilled cheese!

Classic Grilled Cheese

Click the image to view the full version

Type of Meal: Main Meals
Time to Prepare: Around 10 minutes
Serves 1

A recipe for classic, crispy grilled cheese.

Ingredients:

4 slices of bread
4 pre-sliced pieces of cheese (or, if you'd like to slice your own cheese, use however many slices it takes to cover a slice of bread with a bit of overlap in the middle.)
Butter
Tomato soup (optional)

Cookware Needed:
1 pan, small-medium in size (depends on how many sandwiches you want to make at once)
A spatula (the pancake-flipping kind, not the batter-mixing kind)

Instructions:
  1. Take 1 small or medium-sized pan and put on the stove on medium-high heat. Take small amount of butter (think about amount you would use to butter a slice of bread, or more) and put on pan to grease it up slightly. (You don't have to do this last step if you don't want to.)
  2. Take four pieces of bread and butter one side of them. I would recommend putting a good layer of butter on, since this layer is what will really help crisp up the bread.
  3. Place one piece of bread (or two if the pan is large enough), butter side down, on the pan. The pan doesn't have to be completely heated up by this point.
  4. Place two pieces of cheese on the bread. Try to make it so that the cheese overlaps slightly in the middle, but is still able to touch (or almost touch) either edge of the slice of bread. I recommend slices of colby jack, but any kind works!
  5. Place one piece of bread, butter side up, on top of the cheese. It's a sandwich now!
  6. Wait a few minutes, and let the sandwich(es) cook. You'll know when they're done when the butter bubbles at the edges of the bread stop forming. Still not sure? You can take your spatula and lift it off the pan so you can check underneath. If you want it to cook longer, you just set it back down and wait.
  7. When it's cooked long enough, flip it over. Try to keep the sandwich flipping kinda close to the pan, so that the cheese and top layer of bread don't get messed up.
  8. When your sandwiches are done, scoop off of pan and onto a plate. Don't forget to turn the stove off and move the pan off the heat!

One other cool thing you can do to spice things up is to put other ingredients in with the cheese, like tomato slices, or spinach leaves. Make it your own!

Signature by someone, avatar by Neverbelle ~ Come flit by my Userpage! ~ Switch friend code: SW-0846-5678-6094
Old 07-01-2016, 09:18 AM
Tinkering away
Onionleaf's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Thanksgiving 2017 Award Halloween 2017 Award Autumn Equinox Award 2017 Pet Training 2017 Award International Friendship Day Award 2017 July the 4th Award 2017 Summer Solstice Award 2017 Pixie Write An Acrostic Poem Award 2017 

Onionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond repute
Welcome aboard, Eve! Thanks for sharing your recipe with us, I will definitely try it out some time. We usually make something similar, except we place it in the microwave. I'd like to try your version as it looks like it has crispier bread. Oh, and I also like adding spinach leaves wherever possible, what a great choice for extra toppings.

====

Here's another super quick and easy recipe for everyone to try:

Apple & Carrot Salad

Type of Meal: Salad
Time to Prepare: 5 minutes
Serves 1-2

Hungry for a snack but would like a healthier option? This simple fruit and vege mix will give you that much needed boost of vitamins, especially during the winter months.

Ingredients:

1 apple
1 carrot
A dash of sugar
(Yep, that's all! For more servings, just add some more apples and carrots with a 1:1 ratio)

Instructions: (Try to be as detailed as you can)
  1. Wash and peel the apple(s) and carrot(s).
  2. Use a medium-sized grater and grate both ingredients into a bowl. Throw out the apple core(s).
  3. Sprinkle some sugar over the salad (as much as you need), and mix the salad. The apple pieces will let out some juice at this point, which softens the salad.

All done, ready to munch on during your breaks between daily tasks!

Extra: Feel free to spice up the salad with a small dash of cinnamon and/or some dried cranberries. What's more, this salad also makes for a great filling for pastry:
  1. Pre-heat your oven to around 350F/180C (lower if it's a fan-forced oven).
  2. Pick up a roll of pastry dough from the shops, let it thaw and then cut it into squares (about 3 inches/8cm wide).
  3. Prepare the salad as described above. For a medium-sized bowl, you'll need more apples & carrots (around 2-3 of each for 8-10 pastries). However, only add a little bit of sugar, otherwise the pastries will come out soggy!
  4. Place a spoonful of the salad onto each square and fold all the corners together over the filling to make an envelope-like shape.
  5. Place the pastries on a tray lined with baking paper and bake for around 10-15 minutes, until the pastry is golden and flaky.
  6. Take then out of the oven to cool a little and sprinkle with some icing sugar on top.

Old 07-11-2016, 09:44 AM
Tinkering away
Onionleaf's Fairy
Awards Showcase

I'm keen to bake something again this week, would anyone be interested in sharing a recipe? I still have a lot of frozen blueberries left over!

You are welcome to simply post a link to a recipe that you found online.

I'll be sure to post another of my favorite recipes some time this week!

Old 07-11-2016, 05:53 PM
Storytelling-Talent
View Sapphira110's Photo Album
Sapphira110's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Autumn Equinox Award 2017 Talk Like A Pirate Day Award 2017 Scavenger Hunt 2017 Award Pet Training 2017 Award Summer Vacation 2017 Award July the 4th Award 2017 Pixie Get Caught Reading Award 2017 First Day of Spring Award 2017 
Total Awards: 61

My Mood: Mischievous
Sapphira110 is on Tink's Buddy ListSapphira110 is on Tink's Buddy ListSapphira110 is on Tink's Buddy ListSapphira110 is on Tink's Buddy ListSapphira110 is on Tink's Buddy ListSapphira110 is on Tink's Buddy ListSapphira110 is on Tink's Buddy List
Water Talent Light Talent Tinker Talent
Rather bake treats than cook, like cookies and cakes.
Not a big meat eater, but would love tips on how to properly cook meat so it's safe to eat.

Cocoa Scones

Snack:
Time to Prepare: Maybe 10 minutes?
Serves 2 - 4 (or one if your greedy :P )

This was a recipe featured in a manga called "Kitchen Princess", so it's a Japanese-adapted to suit their tastes; but I, an American, adapted it to suit myself. So they're really Japanese-American scones

Ingredients:

Flour - 3/4 cups
Sugar - 1 1/2 tablespoons (I probably add too much sugar, the original recipe calls for just 1 tablespoon; but that usually makes them too bitter if you use a lot of cocoa powder.)
Butter - 2 tablespoons
Cocoa Powder - 2 or 3 tablestpoons (depending if you like 'em bitter or not)
Baking Powder - 1 teaspoon
Heavy Whipping Cream - 3 to 4 tablespoons
Vanilla - 1 teaspoon
Salt - Just a dash if you want

Sorry for the American measurements, I don't trust myself to convert them...

Instructions: Add dry ingredients first (flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt if desired), stir well. I melt my butter, even if that is not 'traditional' for traditional scones, and then stir in the vanilla. Add the vanilla-butter to the flour mixture, stir a little, then use your fingers to crumble it all up like little bread crumbs. Now add the heavy whipping cream and stir until dry ingredients are wet. I used to use plain milk, but heavy whipping cream is so much better. 3 tablespoons may not be enough if you use the heavy cream... You can make four really small scones, or two bigger scones. I sometimes like to hand-mold heart shapes out of them instead of just round treats. When I make maple-flavored ones, I press the dough down and use a maple leaf cookie cutter. Put them on a floured pan and bake at 400 Fahrenheit for 12 - 13 minutes in the oven.

Extra:
  1. ...You can change the recipe up a little by adding other ingredients. My favorite is Cocoa-Orange Zest, I just grate in the zest of an orange.
  2. ... You can omit the cocoa powder and make plain vanilla scones or fold in some fresh fruit - like blueberries.
  3. ... (Just make sure to use less sugar and less heavy cream if you leave the cocoa powder out.)

There's another recipe from "Kitchen Princess" that I would like to try, but I have no idea where to get some of the ingredients. I'll try to post the recipe soon.
Old 07-12-2016, 01:30 AM
Is a Pixie
View Tanglethorn's Photo Album
Tanglethorn's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Summer Solstice Award 2017 Talk Like a Pirate Day 2016 End of the Rainbow Award 2016 Happy Valentine's Day Award Autumn 2015 Award Happy Valentine's Day 2015 Pixie Resolutions Award Winter 2014 Award 
Total Awards: 50

Tanglethorn has made Fairy Mary's A listTanglethorn has made Fairy Mary's A listTanglethorn has made Fairy Mary's A listTanglethorn has made Fairy Mary's A listTanglethorn has made Fairy Mary's A list
Tinker Talent Water Talent Light Talent
Yay, so glad to be able to just link!
I collect recipes more than I bake/cook; I always did love Dulcie's.

I have not tried this recipe but it sounded intriguing...
For those collecting blueberries: https://food52.com/recipes/36588-blu...eanut-streusel

Image by the awesome artist Liana Hee
Old 07-12-2016, 02:59 AM
Tinkering away
Onionleaf's Fairy
Awards Showcase

Yay, thank you pixies! I gave both of you extra points for throwing in some blueberries that I've requested.

@Sapphira: I like how you added your own commentary to the recipe, that will definitely help with the baking process. I think I'll try adding some peanuts to the mix as well, should be tasty!
As to your comment on cooking meat, I do know that beef and salmon are fine to eat even raw, so they can be cooked according to your taste. For other types of meat, however, it is better to over rather than under-cook. The usual rule of thumb is to make sure that the meat is not pink in the middle (especially when it comes to cooking fish and chicken). If you have any specific concerns or questions, just ask!

@Tanglethorn: Wow, I am so curious now about that recipe, will definitely have to try it. I think I'll be extra cautious with the pepper, though, wouldn't want to overdo it.

I have a feeling that our Desserts section will be the most popular. We are in Dulcie's Kitchen, after all!

Old 07-16-2016, 09:26 AM
Tinkering away
Onionleaf's Fairy
Awards Showcase

Sapphira, the scones were sooo good! I'm a big fan of dark chocolate, so the cocoa taste was so delectable. I also added a sprinkle of (roasted) peanuts and that was a perfect combo.
My brother was impatiently waiting for them to cool down, hehe.

Here's a quick photo of the result (not as pretty as yours, mind you I did try to make them heart-shaped ):

DSC_0095.jpg

This recipe is a keeper! By the way, if anyone would like to save a recipe, you can click on the link in the Recipe List, right-click the new page and select "Print" then save as a PDF, and ta-da! One printable recipe ready for you to try!

Old 07-17-2016, 05:05 AM
Storytelling-Talent
Sapphira110's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Autumn Equinox Award 2017 Talk Like A Pirate Day Award 2017 Scavenger Hunt 2017 Award Pet Training 2017 Award Summer Vacation 2017 Award July the 4th Award 2017 Pixie Get Caught Reading Award 2017 First Day of Spring Award 2017 

Sapphira110 is on Tink's Buddy ListSapphira110 is on Tink's Buddy ListSapphira110 is on Tink's Buddy ListSapphira110 is on Tink's Buddy ListSapphira110 is on Tink's Buddy ListSapphira110 is on Tink's Buddy ListSapphira110 is on Tink's Buddy List
Yay, I'm so glad you liked it! I've adapted the recipe in so many ways, including adding peanuts, that I can't keep count. Oftentimes when I want to make them heart-shaped (Valentine's Day, for example) I don't add as much baking powder, so they don't puff out of shape.

Black Sesame Castella

Picture is not mine

Snack:
Time to Prepare:Not sure
Serves 6 - 8 perhaps

Another recipe from the manga "Kitchen Princess". I've been wanting to try this bread, but I don't know where to get black sesame. I heard that Castella is an Italian bread, but the only references I see are Japanese, so...

Ingredients:

Flour - 2/3 cups
Baking Powder - 2 teaspoons
Eggs - 2
Sugar - 3 tablespoons
Black Sesame (crushed) - 5 tablespoons

Instructions:
  1. Cut wax paper to cover the sides and the bottom of a 6 x 3 loaf pan. Get your steamer ready by adding a lot of water and heat over medium heat.
  2. Sift flour and baking powder together.
  3. Put the egg whites in a bowl and mix until it stands up (it will be easier and fast with a hand mixer)
  4. Add egg yolks and sugar to the bowl from step 3 and whisk.
  5. Add black sesame and the mixture from step 2 to the bowl from step 4. Mix well.
  6. Pour the dough into the pan and give it a little shake to even it out. Place it in the steamer, turn the heat off, and let steam for 15 minutes. It's done if you poke it with a toothpick and it comes out clean.
Old 07-17-2016, 08:36 AM
Tinkering away
Onionleaf's Fairy
Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphira110 View Post
Yay, I'm so glad you liked it! I've adapted the recipe in so many ways, including adding peanuts, that I can't keep count. Oftentimes when I want to make them heart-shaped (Valentine's Day, for example) I don't add as much baking powder, so they don't puff out of shape.
What a versatile recipe, I'll have to think about what other combination I might like to try. Oooh, thanks for the tip, adding less baking powder was something I haven't thought of.

I added your new recipe to the Recipe Book. So is black sesame just your usual sesame seeds from the grocery store?

Old 07-18-2016, 12:53 AM
Storytelling-Talent
Sapphira110's Fairy
Awards Showcase

I believe black sesame is a lot like how salt can be white or pink and pepper can be black or white. It's the main reason why I haven't made the recipe, because I have no idea where to find black sesame as opposed to regular sesame seeds.

Of course, I haven't really looked at a grocery store to see if they have any...
Old 09-22-2016, 12:52 AM
Is a Founding Fairy
View StormyLightningberry's Photo Album
StormyLightningberry's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Friendship Award 2019 Pet Training 2017 Award Pixie Write An Acrostic Poem Award 2017 First Day of Spring Award 2017  2016 Fairy Feast Award Summer 2016 Award Outfit Designer 2016 Awawrd 
Total Awards: 149

My Mood: Wishful
StormyLightningberry is on Tink's Buddy ListStormyLightningberry is on Tink's Buddy ListStormyLightningberry is on Tink's Buddy ListStormyLightningberry is on Tink's Buddy ListStormyLightningberry is on Tink's Buddy ListStormyLightningberry is on Tink's Buddy ListStormyLightningberry is on Tink's Buddy List
Garden Talent Water Talent Light Talent
Wink

A grocery store with a Japanese section might have black sesame seeds, called kurogoma. The flavor is pretty close to regular sesame seeds, though. Just a little more roasted flavor. So you might be able to substitute regular sesame seeds, but you'd lose the unique appearance of the final food.

signature by the talented _Stormy_ (I am the other Stormy!)
Old 10-02-2016, 06:25 AM
in a blink
View Neverbelle's Photo Album
Neverbelle's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Thankful for 2019 Create a Contest 2019 Friendship Award 2019 Fourth of July 2019 Arcade Champ Arcade Champ Scavenger Hunt 2017 Award July the 4th Award 2017 
Total Awards: 120

My Mood: fairyish
Neverbelle has mastered their Fairy magicNeverbelle has mastered their Fairy magicNeverbelle has mastered their Fairy magicNeverbelle has mastered their Fairy magicNeverbelle has mastered their Fairy magicNeverbelle has mastered their Fairy magicNeverbelle has mastered their Fairy magicNeverbelle has mastered their Fairy magicNeverbelle has mastered their Fairy magicNeverbelle has mastered their Fairy magic
This is such a flitterific topic! Thanks for making it, Alexia and Tiramisu. All the recipes look great so far. I love that we're taking the time to swap recipes with each other... I totally get a picture of us all sitting around a table in the tearoom putting this recipe book together (whilst trying not to spill any of our drinks on it! ) I'd like to contribute something in the future if possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn1234 View Post

One other cool thing you can do to spice things up is to put other ingredients in with the cheese, like tomato slices, or spinach leaves. Make it your own!
I once added smoked salmon to my grilled cheese and it was delicious... but most people find my taste in food odd, so try at your own risk!
Old 10-03-2016, 09:39 AM
Tinkering away
Onionleaf's Fairy
Awards Showcase

It would flitterific to have you join, Neverbelle. Feel free to write up a quick culinary introduction about yourself and I can add you to the participant list.
Oh, I think salmon goes splendidly with cheesy sauces, so I'm not surprised at all that it would go well with a grilled cheese sandwich.

I'm sorry that I haven't been sharing anything in this thread lately, it's such a shame that I haven't been cooking or baking a lot lately. :/ Most of the time I try to cook something quick and easy for dinner. Slicing up vegetables and throwing them into the steamer for 20-30 minutes makes a wonderfully simple yet very delicious (and healthy!) meal.

====

Seeing as I've managed to find some time to post, here's one of my favorite dessert recipes that tastes exquisite and is fairly simple to make:

Blueberry & Lemon Drizzle Cake

Click the image to view the full version

Type of Meal: Dessert
Time to Prepare: I usually give myself about 1 hour from start to finish
Serves 8 (fills a medium-sized cake tin)

I found this recipe in an "Easy Baking" recipe book, and would recommend it to any baker. The steps are easy to follow, and the results are very yummy - the cake comes out light, moist and with a perfect amount of sweetness. You'll notice some of my revisions added in brackets. Enjoy!

Ingredients:
• 225g soft butter (I normally use margarine for baking)
• 225g golden caster sugar (just normal caster sugar works as well)
• 4 eggs, beaten
• 250g self-raising flour
• juice of 1 lemon (or about 2 teaspoons of lemon juice that can be purchased in a bottle separately)
• finely grated rind of about 1/3 of a lemon (the original recipe asks for more, but this is more than enough to add zest to the cake)
• 25g ground almonds (sliced almonds and/or desiccated coconut works just as well!)
• 200g fresh (or frozen) blueberries. I've used strawberries as well, so I'm sure any sort of berry combination will be tasty.

For the Topping:
• juice of 1 lemon (or again, just 2-3 teaspoons of bottled lemon juice should be enough. Oh, but make sure to dilute it with some water - about a 1:1 ratio is good)
• 115g (golden) caster sugar (I usually add a little less in order to not make the cake too sweet)
• 55g icing sugar
Right, onto the actual preparation!

Instructions:
  1. As per usual, preheat your oven to 180*C, or 350*F, grease your favorite cake tin and line it with baking paper.
  2. Beat together the butter/margarine and the caster sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually add the eggs (keep beating!), and a little bit of flour at the end.
  3. Add and mix in both the lemon rind and lemon juice, then fold in the rest of the flour along with the almonds/coconut. At this point, the mix should be "droopy", much like the batter at Dulcie's Kitchen.
  4. Fold in most of the blueberries/strawberries, then pour the mix into your prepared tin. Smooth the surface, then scatter the remaining berries on top.
  5. The recipe says for the cake to bake for about 1 hour, but mine is always ready after 20-30 minutes. Check if it's ready by prodding a toothpick in the centre - it should come out clean.
  6. While you have nothing to do as you're waiting for that cake to bake, make the topping! (Don't worry, it's super easy)
  7. Mix the lemon juice and the caster sugar together. Once the cake is ready, prod it all over with a toothpick and pour the lemon mixture over the top. This will make sure the cake absorbs the topping, making it super soft inside.
  8. Finally, add a few droplets of water to your icing sugar and drizzle it over the cake.

Ta-da, you're almost done! Now comes the hard part - wait for the cake to cool down (I find it tastes better when it's not too warm), then cut and serve, preferably with a spoonful of ice-cream on the side, mmm!