PHForums Home PHForums PHForums Gallery PHF Arcade User Control Panel Register! Member List Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search Forums

Go Back   Pixie Hollow - Disney Fairies Online Forums > Other > Arts, Creativity, Sigs, & Avatars > Paint By Numbers

Paint By Numbers Post your tutorial and how-to guides here for the art community!

Old Translucent Wings Tutorial (GIMP/Photoshop)

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 06-22-2014, 03:59 AM
Tinkering...
View Daisybelle's Photo Album
Daisybelle's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Arcade Champ Arcade Champ Pixie Get A New Name Award 2017 Arcade Champ Pixie Resolutions Award 2017 Patriot Pixie's 2016 Award Autumn 2014 Award New Arcade Games Challenge Award 
Total Awards: 18

My Mood: Ethereal
Daisybelle glows with pixie dustDaisybelle glows with pixie dustDaisybelle glows with pixie dustDaisybelle glows with pixie dustDaisybelle glows with pixie dustDaisybelle glows with pixie dust
Water Talent Tinker Talent Light Talent
Translucent Wings Tutorial (GIMP/Photoshop)

Hello everyone! I've been seeing many fairies ask, is it possible to get the wings translucent? Like in Pixie Hollow?
Well, of course it is! And it's all very simple. Like a piece of cake.

I made a video tutorial for it.

In this tutorial, I'm using Photoshop, but I think it works with GIMP too.

For this, I really recommend using a PDF. You need to zoom in to crop out the wing lines, or it will be very difficult.
If you don't have a PDF, you can go get one for your wing type in the Australian or UK Disney Fairies site.
If you can't get a PDF, you are welcome to ask me to do it for you! Just send me a PM.

(Some pictures might be awaiting moderator approval)

Step 1: Add your fairy

Crop out your fairy using the lasso tool. I find it easier to crop out the fairy first, and leave out the wings.

Step 2: Crop out the wings

Now return to the layer with the wings. Crop out each wing with the lasso tool like before. This time, I'm cropping it with the polygonal lasso tool, it's much quicker!

Some of you might be wondering how you can crop it out with a polygonal lasso tool. It's fun and easy. For long lines, you obviously just drag it from whatever direction it's going in. For curves, just go in teeny tiny steps.

Step 3: Crop out the wing pattern

Okay, this step may look impossible but it really isn't hard. Zoom into one of the wings. Doesn't look hard right? Now, you can crop out every mark on the wing. You may use any cutting tool.

As you crop out each mark, make sure to merge these layers together. You don't want too many layers. Yes, I know I really don't like this step too, but I promise you will have fun on the next step.

Step 4: Make the wings translucent

The fun starts from here! Take the eraser tool (fuzzy) and set the opacity low, about 12 maybe. After you've done that, just rub the eraser on the whitest looking parts of the wing.

Make sure you are on the wing layers, not the pattern. This step is when you might want to get a reference out (spotlight winner) so you know how you want your wings to turn out like. Put a dark background behind your fairy so you can see better.

Step 5: Beautifying

This is the part where you beautify according to your model's wings. You can blur, erase, modify color, etc. as much as you desire. I only did one wing because I did not have enough time to crop all of the wing lines.

Yes, I know. It looks kind of messy, since I rushed. But the video has a much better result.

See? It was a piece of cake!
The results can be as wonderful as the Spotlight Winners. Have fun while doing this!

Last edited by Onionleaf; 06-23-2014 at 03:34 AM. Reason: removed direct link/fixed embedded link
Old 06-22-2014, 07:01 AM
Collector
View Alyce Natalie's Photo Album
Alyce Natalie's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Thankful for 2019 Create a Contest 2019 Friendship Award 2019 Fourth of July 2019 Thanksgiving 2017 Award Halloween 2017 Award Autumn Equinox Award 2017 Scavenger Hunt 2017 Award 
Total Awards: 155

My Mood: Creative
Alyce Natalie is Tinker Bell's best friendAlyce Natalie is Tinker Bell's best friendAlyce Natalie is Tinker Bell's best friendAlyce Natalie is Tinker Bell's best friendAlyce Natalie is Tinker Bell's best friendAlyce Natalie is Tinker Bell's best friendAlyce Natalie is Tinker Bell's best friendAlyce Natalie is Tinker Bell's best friendAlyce Natalie is Tinker Bell's best friendAlyce Natalie is Tinker Bell's best friendAlyce Natalie is Tinker Bell's best friend
Tinker Talent Animal Talent Garden Talent
Wow, thank you for the tutorial, Daisybelle. I believe this one is helpful for everyone.

~Alyce
Old 06-22-2014, 07:14 AM
•༺💕༻•Just Believe•༺💕༻•
View _Stormy_'s Photo Album
_Stormy_'s Fairy
Awards Showcase
Halloween Award 2016 2016 Autumn Award Talk Like a Pirate Day 2016 Super Secret Ninja Cowboy Hausfrau 2016 Award Klingon Appreciation Day 2016 Patriot Pixie's 2016 Award Summer 2016 Award May the Fourth 2016 Award 
Total Awards: 113

My Mood: Gaming
_Stormy_ has mastered their Fairy magic_Stormy_ has mastered their Fairy magic_Stormy_ has mastered their Fairy magic_Stormy_ has mastered their Fairy magic_Stormy_ has mastered their Fairy magic_Stormy_ has mastered their Fairy magic_Stormy_ has mastered their Fairy magic_Stormy_ has mastered their Fairy magic_Stormy_ has mastered their Fairy magic_Stormy_ has mastered their Fairy magic
Animal Talent Animal Talent Tinker Talent
Heart

This is a wonderful and very helpful tutorial. Thank you so very much for making this, Daisybelle

Books are a uniquely portable magic
Old 06-23-2014, 03:50 AM
Tinkering away
View Onionleaf's Photo Album
Onionleaf's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Thanksgiving 2017 Award Halloween 2017 Award Autumn Equinox Award 2017 Pet Training 2017 Award International Friendship Day Award 2017 July the 4th Award 2017 Summer Solstice Award 2017 Pixie Write An Acrostic Poem Award 2017 
Total Awards: 170

My Mood: Flutterish
Onionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond repute
Tinker Talent Water Talent
Very nice tutorial, Daisybelle! That is the perfect way of making the wings transparent. If only I had watched this tutorial sooner, that would have saved me some time while I was figuring out how to do it. I think the only different thing I had done was add an extra step where I used the "color erase" gradient fill, but every other step seems to be the same. Way to go on figuring this out!

I still have to crop out all the wings for the dress-up game that I've been working on, it's going to be so daunting!
If anyone is too lazy to crop out their own wings, I have a template to spare. You can simply have the two images sit on separate layers and use the Colorize tool to change the color of the wings for the bottom layer.

Top layer:
Click the image to view the full version

Bottom layer:
Click the image to view the full version

Makes you appreciate how much effort the designers put into creating the perfect wing designs for us, though!

Profile pic by Mia L ~ Thank you! ♥ ~ Site Rules ~ Pixie Hollow Wiki