PHForums Home PHForums PHForums Gallery PHF Arcade User Control Panel Register! Member List Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search Forums

Go Back   Pixie Hollow - Disney Fairies Online Forums > Other > Arts, Creativity, Sigs, & Avatars > Paint By Numbers

Paint By Numbers Post your tutorial and how-to guides here for the art community!

Old How can i make a 3D fairy?

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:51 PM
I Love Pixie hollow :)
View KarinaPixie's Photo Album
KarinaPixie's Fairy
Awards Showcase
2014 Happy Valentine's Day Award Terrific Spotter Award Pixie Resolution 2014 Award Fairy Friends To The End Award Spring 2013 Award Happy Holidays'12 Award Halloween'12 Award Autumn 2012 Award 
Total Awards: 9

My Mood: Adventurous
KarinaPixie has chosen their Fairy magic
Animal Talent
Heart How can i make a 3D fairy?

I Know alot of you people want to keep as a secret,but i really need your help!
Please make a tutorial for me.Please!!!
Old 09-09-2012, 01:08 AM
Tinkering away
View Onionleaf's Photo Album
Onionleaf's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Thanksgiving 2017 Award Halloween 2017 Award Autumn Equinox Award 2017 Pet Training 2017 Award International Friendship Day Award 2017 July the 4th Award 2017 Summer Solstice Award 2017 Pixie Write An Acrostic Poem Award 2017 
Total Awards: 170

My Mood: Flutterish
Onionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond repute
Tinker Talent Water Talent
There may be other people who have already started on a tutorial, but I have been helping out a friend with creating a 3D fairy, so I'll just copy & paste what I have written so far here.
I only know how to use GIMP though, so depending on how well you know this program, these instructions may be difficult to follow. Also, I haven't really talked about adding a texture effect to the clothing or hair, nor how to change the eye and skin color. If I will have some spare time, or if you have any specific questions, I would be happy to help (or somebody else could come along and answer them).

In the Fairies & Friends section of the Disney Fairies site, there are profile pages of the different characters from the movies, books and even the Never Council! You should pick one of the characters that you think would best suit your fairy. Arms are easier to edit later on, than say, the position of the head, so pay more attention to how the face looks and at what angle it is. For Alexia, I chose to re-create Kit, as I thought her face and body position fit Alexia best.

Once you have chosen a character, go to Google Images and search "Character name here Pixie Hollow", and one of the search results will be your fairy in 3D. Look for an image that looks similar to this:

Click the image to view the full version

Also, the URL should have dolimg.com in it, so look out for that as well.

Save the picture onto your computer, then you can open it with GIMP and begin working!
Feel free to download as many different fairies as you want (for future use). It could be that another fairy's arm might be in a pose that you would like your fairy to have!

The next step you need to do is to save a PDF file of your fairy in an outfit that you wish her to be in, and have her right arm in a pose that does not cover the clothing. There's a tutorial on how to download your fairy here.

Once you have it saved, open it up in GIMP (along with your base 3D image). In Step 3 of the tutorial, at Point #2, set the Resolution at 200.00 instead of 100.00.

So now you can begin adding the clothing pieces to the 3D model, by cutting them out & pasting them as separate layers.
Have each of the clothing pieces and hair on a separate layer, otherwise it will be really difficult to edit them later on. Free Select each piece separately and copy and paste it onto its own layer.

To have the clothes fit the model, you will have to change the shape of the outfit. I've highlighted the tools that will help you with that:

The ones highlighted in red will be used more often, and the ones in blue may be used to tweak a few things, but not always necessary.

First I would pick "Scale Layer" and resize the clothing to the correct size - make sure to have the little chain next to the numbers linked. Then you can click on the chain link to unlock it and make the item slimmer/wider or taller/shorter. Next I would use the Rotate tool to have it sit on the correct angle. Then there's the Perspectice Tool which allows to you deform the layer even more. It allows you to drag the four corners of the layer around. If your layer is stretched out across the whole canvas, then you will have to use the Selection Tool first (select only the part that you want to edit) and then use the Perspective Tool.

It is exactly the same technique for the hair. Use your best judgement when editing the layers as each fairy's pose is different, and pay attention to the details (zooming in helps).
I hope these instructions are easy to follow and will help you make a start on your 3D fairy.

Profile pic by Mia L ~ Thank you! ♥ ~ Site Rules ~ Pixie Hollow Wiki
Old 09-09-2012, 01:46 AM
Miss you all <3
View Julie Sunripple's Photo Album
Julie Sunripple's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Winter 2015 Award Halloween 2015 Award Autumn 2015 Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2015 Award Super Secret Ninja Cowboy Hausfrau 2015 Award Klingon Appreciation Day 2015 Award Summer 2015 Award May The 4th 2015 Award 
Total Awards: 65

My Mood: fairyish
Julie Sunripple is on Tink's Buddy ListJulie Sunripple is on Tink's Buddy ListJulie Sunripple is on Tink's Buddy ListJulie Sunripple is on Tink's Buddy ListJulie Sunripple is on Tink's Buddy ListJulie Sunripple is on Tink's Buddy ListJulie Sunripple is on Tink's Buddy List
Light Talent Tinker Talent Water Talent
(Wow, that's exactly the way I do it, Alexia.)

Good job on the tutorial, I did not know how to write that.

Make sure you look at perspectives and angles also. Hair should be flowing down even if the head is tilted, if the fairy is facing a 45 degree angle the clothes should never point front, etc. The rotate and perspective tools really help with that.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:45 PM
I Love Pixie hollow :)
View KarinaPixie's Photo Album
KarinaPixie's Fairy
Awards Showcase
2014 Happy Valentine's Day Award Terrific Spotter Award Pixie Resolution 2014 Award Fairy Friends To The End Award Spring 2013 Award Happy Holidays'12 Award Halloween'12 Award Autumn 2012 Award 
Total Awards: 9

My Mood: Adventurous
KarinaPixie has chosen their Fairy magic
Animal Talent
Question Im lost :(

I Am lost i only got to the part where i get two layers of my fairy and the 3D fairy,but i dont get the cropping part!
Can you do a video or idk to make it simpler please?
Old 09-12-2012, 01:13 AM
Is a Pixie
View bayberry bubbleweather's Photo Album
bayberry bubbleweather's Fairy
Awards Showcase
May The 4th Be With You 2014 Award Happy Holidays'09 Award National Cookie Day 2013 Award Halloween 2013 Award Autumn 2013 Award Fairy Friends To The End Award Super Secret Ninja Cowboy Hausfrau 2013 Award International Literacy Day 2013 Award 
Total Awards: 37

My Mood: Sleepyy
bayberry bubbleweather met the Queenbayberry bubbleweather met the Queenbayberry bubbleweather met the Queenbayberry bubbleweather met the Queenbayberry bubbleweather met the Queenbayberry bubbleweather met the Queen
Water Talent
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarinaPixie View Post
I Am lost i only got to the part where i get two layers of my fairy and the 3D fairy,but i dont get the cropping part!
Can you do a video or idk to make it simpler please?
i think it means that when you take your fairy, cut out her top and paste it on the 3D model fairy, like how you cut the fairy out of a background and then you paste it on a background you like. So cut the pieces of clothing and paste it on the 3D model ( but like the shirt in another layer, the skirt in another layer so on and so forth), same goes for the hair. The next part is resizing and stuff so the clothes almost like fit her. i may not be much of help in this case as i only made a 3D fairy once and it has been a while since i used gimp but i hope that clears it up a bit.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:58 AM
In an art world
View BrittPixie's Photo Album
BrittPixie's Fairy
Awards Showcase
2015 Thanksgiving Award 2014 Thanksgiving Award Patriotic Fairy's 2014 Award 2014 Happy Valentine's Day Award Winter 2013 Award Happy Holidays'13 Award Summer 2013 Award St. Patrick Day 2013 Award 
Total Awards: 22

My Mood: Artistic
BrittPixie glows with pixie dustBrittPixie glows with pixie dustBrittPixie glows with pixie dustBrittPixie glows with pixie dustBrittPixie glows with pixie dustBrittPixie glows with pixie dust
Animal Talent Garden Talent Water Talent
SInce I came up with the 3D idea, I am so happy you like it! Its very hard to explain how I do since I don't copy and paste but the other fairies pretty much summed it up.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:34 AM
Getting to Know You
View Julie Dazzleshimmer's Photo Album
Julie Dazzleshimmer's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Arcade Champ Arcade Champ Arcade Champ July the 4th Award 2017 First Day of Spring Award 2017 Pixie Get A New Name Award 2017 PHF Winter Award 2016 Arcade Champ 
Total Awards: 137

My Mood: QuiteMad
Julie Dazzleshimmer is on Tink's Buddy ListJulie Dazzleshimmer is on Tink's Buddy ListJulie Dazzleshimmer is on Tink's Buddy ListJulie Dazzleshimmer is on Tink's Buddy ListJulie Dazzleshimmer is on Tink's Buddy ListJulie Dazzleshimmer is on Tink's Buddy List
Garden Talent
All I can say making a 3D fairy is NOT easy. I could not finish because it was too difficult for me, and I'm kinda very lazy. I would just recommend using whatever you are most comfortable with, then you can move on to the more complex stuff. Good luck! ♥
Old 09-12-2012, 03:02 AM
Miss you all <3
View Julie Sunripple's Photo Album
Julie Sunripple's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Winter 2015 Award Halloween 2015 Award Autumn 2015 Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2015 Award Super Secret Ninja Cowboy Hausfrau 2015 Award Klingon Appreciation Day 2015 Award Summer 2015 Award May The 4th 2015 Award 
Total Awards: 65

My Mood: fairyish
Julie Sunripple is on Tink's Buddy ListJulie Sunripple is on Tink's Buddy ListJulie Sunripple is on Tink's Buddy ListJulie Sunripple is on Tink's Buddy ListJulie Sunripple is on Tink's Buddy ListJulie Sunripple is on Tink's Buddy ListJulie Sunripple is on Tink's Buddy List
Light Talent Tinker Talent Water Talent
Hehe, I agree, it's not easy. But if you practice it gets faster, you get sort of a system in doing it that makes it much easier. And I just love seeing them become 3D.

I hope to be able to completely draw the clothing and hair someday, and change their poses.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:09 PM
A Hot Cup of Tea
View Flora's Photo Album
Flora's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Spring 2016 Award Winter 2015 Award Thankful For Award My Favorite Fall Memory in Pixie Hollow Award Autumn 2015 Award Super Secret Ninja Cowboy Hausfrau 2015 Award Klingon Appreciation Day 2015 Award Create A Talent Award 
Total Awards: 82

My Mood: Rainbow
Flora met the QueenFlora met the QueenFlora met the QueenFlora met the QueenFlora met the QueenFlora met the Queen
Garden Talent Light Talent Water Talent
I have a question Alexia. What do you mean by this:
Quote:
In Step 3 of the tutorial, at Point #2, set the Resolution at 200.00 instead of 100.00.
? And would the Resolution be in the Layers Dialogue?

Edit: Wait a minute, I was looking at the ' Where to find the best-quaility fairy image ' thread and is that where I higher the Resolution?

Last edited by Flora; 09-12-2012 at 11:38 PM. Reason: I think I found it
Old 09-13-2012, 12:24 AM
Tinkering away
Onionleaf's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Thanksgiving 2017 Award Halloween 2017 Award Autumn Equinox Award 2017 Pet Training 2017 Award International Friendship Day Award 2017 July the 4th Award 2017 Summer Solstice Award 2017 Pixie Write An Acrostic Poem Award 2017 

Onionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond repute
Oops, sorry for not being clear enough! Yes, I was pointing to the step in the tutorial thread on how to save a PDF image of your fairy.

Last edited by Onionleaf; 09-18-2012 at 02:58 AM. Reason: whoops
Old 09-13-2012, 01:13 AM
A Hot Cup of Tea
View Flora's Photo Album
Flora's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Spring 2016 Award Winter 2015 Award Thankful For Award My Favorite Fall Memory in Pixie Hollow Award Autumn 2015 Award Super Secret Ninja Cowboy Hausfrau 2015 Award Klingon Appreciation Day 2015 Award Create A Talent Award 
Total Awards: 82

My Mood: Rainbow
Flora met the QueenFlora met the QueenFlora met the QueenFlora met the QueenFlora met the QueenFlora met the Queen
Garden Talent Light Talent Water Talent
Oh! You were fine with your details! I just should have looked at that thread first Thanks for all your help Alexia!
Old 09-18-2012, 12:20 AM
I belong to Ph </3
View daisygreenswamp's Photo Album
daisygreenswamp's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Memory Award National Cookie Day 2013 Award Fairy Friends To The End Award Super Secret Ninja Cowboy Hausfrau 2013 Award International Literacy Day 2013 Award Caption Contest Participant's Award Patriotic Fairy's 2013 Award Speed Chat Phrase Story Designer Participant's Awa 
Total Awards: 19

My Mood: Artistic
daisygreenswamp is a Fast Flyerdaisygreenswamp is a Fast Flyerdaisygreenswamp is a Fast Flyerdaisygreenswamp is a Fast Flyer
Animal Talent Garden Talent Water Talent
?

What is the thing to edit?
Old 09-18-2012, 07:17 AM
Tinkering away
Onionleaf's Fairy
Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisygreenswamp View Post
What is the thing to edit?
I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean, Daisy. Could you be more specific? If you are asking about the program that I use, GIMP is a free image editor program that can be downloaded from the internet. (There is an official site with a safe download link available)

I have had several people ask me for help with creating a 3D fairy, so I thought sharing a video would be beneficial for everyone.
The video is divided into two parts, and shows several different techniques that I use when creating a 3D fairy. Not everything is mentioned, just the first steps to get you started on editing the clothes. What I have done for the top, I would expect you to do the same for the other clothing pieces.
I suspect that another video may have to be made on how to change the skin tone, eye color, creating the hair style and altering the pose. That is all in good time; plus you may even figure it out how to do it yourself by the time I get to it!

I'm sorry if the mouse is moving too quickly, but the video still came out to be under 20 minutes long, so imagine how long it would take to explain every little step! If you have any specific questions about any part of the video, I can explain it to you in words.

Also, this video is by no means perfect, it was created in order to give a visual example of what you must do. There are several other people here who know how to create a 3D fairy, and I am sure that every one of us would have developed our own techniques. If you would like to share your own tips, please do!! I myself would be more than happy to learn about other editing styles!

Here are the links:
Part 1
Part 2
Remember that a red star stands for a left-click and blue star stands for a right-click of the mouse.

Note: In Part 2, at time 02:24, the note that shows up for a few seconds is actually supposed to be at 04:05. I don't know how that happened, I must have accidentaly moved the text.

Hope this helps!

Old 09-18-2012, 05:38 PM
☼♦Shine bright♦☼
View Iceglow's Photo Album
Iceglow's Fairy
Awards Showcase
St. Partrick's Day Award 2014 Pixie Resolution 2014 Award Halloween 2013 Award Fairy Friends To The End Award Super Secret Ninja Cowboy Hausfrau 2013 Award J.M. Barrie Day 2013 Award 2013 Happy Valentine's Day Award Guess The Picture Winner's Award 
Total Awards: 28

My Mood: Snow!
Iceglow is a talented FairyIceglow is a talented Fairy
Light Talent Light Talent Light Talent
When I open my layers Tab theres nothing... Its all gray and it wont let me click

Last edited by Iceglow; 02-18-2013 at 08:51 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:28 PM
Is a Pixie
View bayberry bubbleweather's Photo Album
bayberry bubbleweather's Fairy
Awards Showcase
May The 4th Be With You 2014 Award Happy Holidays'09 Award National Cookie Day 2013 Award Halloween 2013 Award Autumn 2013 Award Fairy Friends To The End Award Super Secret Ninja Cowboy Hausfrau 2013 Award International Literacy Day 2013 Award 
Total Awards: 37

My Mood: Sleepyy
bayberry bubbleweather met the Queenbayberry bubbleweather met the Queenbayberry bubbleweather met the Queenbayberry bubbleweather met the Queenbayberry bubbleweather met the Queenbayberry bubbleweather met the Queen
Water Talent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceglow View Post
When I open my layers Tab theres nothing... Its all gray and it wont let me click
try making another layer, i think it should be under Layers option. or go to file, new image and add in the dimensions. But try making another layer by going on top and pressing layer ( i haven't used gimp in a while, but i think that is it)