PHForums Home PHForums PHForums Gallery PHF Arcade User Control Panel Register! Member List Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search Forums

Go Back   Pixie Hollow - Disney Fairies Online Forums > Other > Beyond the Hollow > Way Beyond the Hollow

Way Beyond the Hollow Off Topic Archive Forum

Old Last Minute Audition

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 04-29-2014, 03:26 PM
Derp.
View Figfig's Photo Album
Figfig's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Patriot Pixie's 2016 Award Summer 2016 Award Patriotic Fairy's 2015 Award Pixie Resolutions Award National Cookie Day 2014 Award Autumn 2014 Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2014 Award Super Secret Ninja Cowboy Hausfrau 2014 Award 
Total Awards: 11

My Mood: Cheerful
Figfig has disabled reputation
Garden Talent Animal Talent
Last Minute Audition

Hey guys, it's Figfig again, and with more stuff going on to ask advice about! As you might have already guessed, I'm constantly on my toes in this past year of my life. lol

This time, it's about an audition. Ya see, I and my mom found it just a couple days before the wedding: It's an audition for voice and drama. Apparently the school is so popular, you have to audition to actually get in!

So thing is, I was interested, but never got the chance to practice during the trip. After getting home, I discovered that my mom had already signed me up and I was in. So...I have to memorize a monologue (completely and flawlessly) and a song (same deal) by May 2nd; this Friday! Yikes!

So my reason for posting this thread is to ask...does anyone have any good ways of memorizing fast? Maybe any tips on how to approach a voice/drama audition? Do you know what they might be looking for?

Sincerely,

Figfig
Old 04-29-2014, 04:40 PM
Im a Founding Fairy!
View Olivia Diamondsky's Photo Album
Olivia Diamondsky's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Earth Day 2016 Award Patriotic Fairy's 2015 Award Summer 2015 Award National Cookie Day 2014 Award Patriotic Fairy's 2014 Award Arcade Winner - Retired Award Arcade Puzzle Challenge Champs Award Arcade Winner - Retired Award 
Total Awards: 94

My Mood: Amuzed
Olivia Diamondsky is on Tink's Buddy ListOlivia Diamondsky is on Tink's Buddy ListOlivia Diamondsky is on Tink's Buddy ListOlivia Diamondsky is on Tink's Buddy ListOlivia Diamondsky is on Tink's Buddy ListOlivia Diamondsky is on Tink's Buddy ListOlivia Diamondsky is on Tink's Buddy List
Animal Talent Garden Talent Water Talent
Heart

Oh Sure..
1. Smile
2. relax
3. In learning your lines go to your room and read a few sentences then put the book down and say it with out looking at your script! keep doing this till you have the whole thing in your head!!
4. Sing your song with music if you can, over, over, over over, over, and OVER AGAIN! lol
5. (Last thing) Say to your self.. "This is a piece of cake!!)
GOOD LUCK FigFig!! Keeping my wings crossed for you.
~Olivia
Old 04-29-2014, 04:43 PM
Busy with Pets or Books
View AutumnNeversprite's Photo Album
AutumnNeversprite's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Autumn Equinox Award 2017 Autumn 2015 Award St. Partrick's Day Award 2015 Pixie Resolutions Award Thankful For Award Autumn 2014 Award 2014 Summer Award Patriotic Fairy's 2014 Award 
Total Awards: 19

My Mood: Artistic
AutumnNeversprite is a Fast FlyerAutumnNeversprite is a Fast FlyerAutumnNeversprite is a Fast Flyer
Animal Talent Water Talent Water Talent
well i'm big into anime and i was at a convention one time and was doing some goofing off but was asked ot come for an audtion 2 months later sadly i didn't get the part because i found i would have to move pretty far away and i was still a minor then so i couldn't do so.
But i found writing everything on flash cards and lamianting them so i can pull them out any where (& i mean anywhere even the shower) really helped and also record what your planing to do and so when you sleep you can have it playing so it helps it get stuck in your head and if you have a music teacher at your school talk to them and see if they have any tips also drink lots of tea after so you don't wear your voice out before hand so you sound good for the audtion.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:22 PM
Busy as a bee♥
View Hazel Brightsparkle's Photo Album
Hazel Brightsparkle's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Arcade Champ Arcade Champ April Fool's 2016 Award End of the Rainbow Award Arcade Champ 6 More Weeks of Contests Award Tooth Fairy Day 2016 Award Pixie Resolutions Award 
Total Awards: 80

My Mood: Dreaming
Hazel Brightsparkle is on Tink's Buddy ListHazel Brightsparkle is on Tink's Buddy ListHazel Brightsparkle is on Tink's Buddy ListHazel Brightsparkle is on Tink's Buddy ListHazel Brightsparkle is on Tink's Buddy ListHazel Brightsparkle is on Tink's Buddy ListHazel Brightsparkle is on Tink's Buddy List
Light Talent Garden Talent Water Talent
Oh my goodness, such an amazing opportunity! I'm so glad you've decided to go for it.

I can't sing to save my life but I've been told I am a good actress, so from one fellow performer to another, here's some advice.
A few years ago, I got the lead female role in a play. The play was only half an hour long, but I was in nearly every scene. To help memorize my lines and get accustomed to having an audience, I recited in front of my family. Then, on my own, I would read through them again. I'm a visual learner, so I would try to mentally take pictures of my script because if I ever got tripped up, I could remember what my line was in my head.

I've done monologues for my literature class (my most recent was Lydia Bennet from Pride and Prejudice) and I found that very fun. Lydia is a very naive and not a very levelheaded character, so I enjoyed being very dramatic with her. If you're acting a very bold character, draw out those defining traits. For stage presence, use your entire body, and look at the audience too. Talk with your hands, move around, etc. If you stay in the same spot, the audience might think you're timid.

Every audience looks for different things, so remember to smile, have confidence, stay calm and relaxed, and be yourself. Even if you don't get in (I have a feeling you're very talented, however!), it's the experience that counts.

Good luck, and tell us how it goes!
Old 04-29-2014, 10:00 PM
RPs assemble!
View Night Wish's Photo Album
Night Wish's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Create a Contest 2019 Friendship Award 2019 Fourth of July 2019 Halloween Award 2016 2016 Autumn Award Talk Like a Pirate Day 2016 Super Secret Ninja Cowboy Hausfrau 2016 Award Klingon Appreciation Day 2016 
Total Awards: 100

My Mood: Bighug
Night Wish is on Tink's Buddy ListNight Wish is on Tink's Buddy ListNight Wish is on Tink's Buddy ListNight Wish is on Tink's Buddy ListNight Wish is on Tink's Buddy ListNight Wish is on Tink's Buddy ListNight Wish is on Tink's Buddy ListNight Wish is on Tink's Buddy List
Water Talent Garden Talent Light Talent
This is such an amazing opportunity! I'm so happy for you, Figfig. Break a leg, and have lots of fun!
Having done musicals for years, I'm used to a lot of singing/drama combined performances, and I gotta say, there's nothing like the feeling of being on center stage in front of a huge audience. So here's some advice from another fellow actress/singer.
First of all, (I'm sure you've heard this over and over but it's important!) don't try to act like the character, become the character. Flat out memorization is really difficult, but it's a lot easier when you can find yourself thinking and speaking the way the character is.
Also, practice makes perfect! I find that it's not enough to read over the script a lot of times. You actually have to practice performing it, maybe in front of family or friends.
Another thing, blocking is really important. People tend to get bored looking at someone standing still, so you have to move around and use your body. But you also have to be careful - do the blocking carefully so that your back is never turned to the audience, and make sure you aren't talking and moving at the same time. It gets confusing trying to visually take in a lot of motion and listen to someone talk at the same time! Move around preferably during breaks or small pauses in your monologue.
And also, this is a tip - if you try to memorize too much, too fast, your brain kind of just shuts down and makes you forget everything really fast. So take breaks in the middle of your memorization, do something to take your mind off it once in a while. That way you kind of refresh your memory when you start reading through again.
I've done monologues before, the most recent of which I was Joan of Arc for a historical monologue. I also had to do a few monologues when I was playing Queen Titania in A Midsummer's Night Dream. They're quite fun, but also a bit intimidating at first because you're on the stage by yourself and totally on your own.
Hope this has been helpful, and break a leg!
Old 04-30-2014, 02:46 AM
cool
View Cerise_Ivory_Electro's Photo Album
Cerise_Ivory_Electro's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Arcade Champ EKB Meme Award Autumn 2014 Award 2014 Summer Award Craft-A-Word Contest Winner's Award EKB Day Award Memory Award Skilled Spotter Award 
Total Awards: 34

My Mood: Apathetic
Cerise_Ivory_Electro glows with pixie dustCerise_Ivory_Electro glows with pixie dustCerise_Ivory_Electro glows with pixie dustCerise_Ivory_Electro glows with pixie dustCerise_Ivory_Electro glows with pixie dustCerise_Ivory_Electro glows with pixie dust
Tinker Talent Animal Talent Garden Talent
Read it. Anywhere. At my school, I'm in afterschools, which is Drama. I kinda DON'T look at my script and just remember it. But that won't help you. You must give it voice, be loud, and literally write a hard to remember part on your arm if you must! Give your song personality (yes, it's possible!) and sing clearly! And ANY time you can, try to add in little unnoticeable yet noticeable flourishes is that song. Good luck!
Old 04-30-2014, 02:04 PM
Derp.
Figfig's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Patriot Pixie's 2016 Award Summer 2016 Award Patriotic Fairy's 2015 Award Pixie Resolutions Award National Cookie Day 2014 Award Autumn 2014 Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2014 Award Super Secret Ninja Cowboy Hausfrau 2014 Award 

Gosh, thanks everyone!! This is a lot of good advice, and I've been trying it all out over the passed day or two. It's cool to know that a lot of you went through something like this too.

I'm really excited! I know I only have a short time and a whole lot to memorize, but thanks to all of your help and support, I think I can do this thing and get into the audition! BRING IT ON, PEOPLE!!

I'll be sure to take breaks in between memorization, read it whenever I can, move around a bit at the right times in my monologue and song, sing with feeling, become the character, stay hydrated, be myself, and practice-practice-practice!

Phew, looks like I got a long day ahead of me. Thanks again, and I'll be back sometime after Friday to tell ya how it all goes.

Yours truly,

Figfig
Old 05-02-2014, 02:53 PM
Derp.
Figfig's Fairy
Awards Showcase

Today is the day, guys! Wish me luck, I'll be leaving after lunch to the audition! I am feeling confident and ready for anything! I am about as excited as my little dancing Hamtoro guy!

I'll tell ya how it goes when I get back.
Old 05-02-2014, 04:43 PM
Here and there
View Rainbowswirls's Photo Album
Rainbowswirls's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Arcade Champ Arcade Champ Halloween Award 2016 Arcade Champ Arcade Champ Earth Day 2016 Award End of the Rainbow Award Spring 2016 Award 
Total Awards: 42

My Mood: Thinking
Rainbowswirls met the QueenRainbowswirls met the QueenRainbowswirls met the QueenRainbowswirls met the QueenRainbowswirls met the QueenRainbowswirls met the Queen
Garden Talent Water Talent Tinker Talent
Good luck!
Old 05-02-2014, 05:52 PM
Loves my PHF friends!
View popcorn1234's Photo Album
popcorn1234's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Thanksgiving 2017 Award Halloween 2017 Award Autumn Equinox Award 2017 Talk Like A Pirate Day Award 2017 Scavenger Hunt 2017 Award International Friendship Day Award 2017 Summer Vacation 2017 Award July the 4th Award 2017 
Total Awards: 137

My Mood: Distracting
popcorn1234 is Tinker Bell's best friendpopcorn1234 is Tinker Bell's best friendpopcorn1234 is Tinker Bell's best friendpopcorn1234 is Tinker Bell's best friendpopcorn1234 is Tinker Bell's best friendpopcorn1234 is Tinker Bell's best friendpopcorn1234 is Tinker Bell's best friendpopcorn1234 is Tinker Bell's best friendpopcorn1234 is Tinker Bell's best friendpopcorn1234 is Tinker Bell's best friendpopcorn1234 is Tinker Bell's best friend
Light Talent Tinker Talent Animal Talent
Good luck, Figfig! You can do it!
Old 05-02-2014, 07:52 PM
Flitterific Garden Fairy
View Coconut Tulippetal's Photo Album
Coconut Tulippetal's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Friendship Award 2019 Fourth of July 2019 Thanksgiving 2017 Award Halloween 2017 Award Autumn Equinox Award 2017 Talk Like A Pirate Day Award 2017 Scavenger Hunt 2017 Award International Friendship Day Award 2017 
Total Awards: 102

My Mood: fairyish
Coconut Tulippetal is on Tink's Buddy ListCoconut Tulippetal is on Tink's Buddy ListCoconut Tulippetal is on Tink's Buddy ListCoconut Tulippetal is on Tink's Buddy ListCoconut Tulippetal is on Tink's Buddy ListCoconut Tulippetal is on Tink's Buddy ListCoconut Tulippetal is on Tink's Buddy List
Garden Talent Water Talent Animal Talent
Good luck, Figfig!
Old 05-02-2014, 11:23 PM
Derp.
Figfig's Fairy
Awards Showcase

Alright everyone, I did it, and I THINK I did it well! My monologue was flawless; I am pretty sure I got the emotion across and I didn't stumble or forget any words. The song was a bit iffy because the pianist played it a bit too slow, so I fumbled a bit...still, I won't let it get me down. Everything else was alright!!

I won't know for a while whether I made it in or not. I will let you guys know as soon as they tell me!

Again, thank you all for the support. I truly appreciate it.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:17 PM
Is a Pixie
View vidia3886's Photo Album
vidia3886's Fairy
Awards Showcase
2016 Happy Valentine's Day Award Create A Talent Award Summer 2015 Award Pixie Hollow Parody Award Word Search Winners Award Spring 2015 Award St. Partrick's Day Award 2015 Talk Like A Pirate Day 2014 Award 
Total Awards: 12

My Mood: Happy
vidia3886 is a talented Fairyvidia3886 is a talented Fairy
Tinker Talent
Even though I didn't verbally support you (as in put a post voicing my support), I support you! And I hope you got in!
Old 05-04-2014, 08:23 PM
Is a Pixie
View vidia3886's Photo Album
vidia3886's Fairy
Awards Showcase
2016 Happy Valentine's Day Award Create A Talent Award Summer 2015 Award Pixie Hollow Parody Award Word Search Winners Award Spring 2015 Award St. Partrick's Day Award 2015 Talk Like A Pirate Day 2014 Award 
Total Awards: 12

My Mood: Happy
vidia3886 is a talented Fairyvidia3886 is a talented Fairy
Tinker Talent
You're welcome! It's Becky, by the way. Don't worry! If you are as good as I'm sure you are, you'll get the part!
Old 05-14-2014, 02:09 PM
Derp.
Figfig's Fairy
Awards Showcase

The Verdict

Okay, at last I have the verdict! So it's a bit complicated, but I feel blessed because I'm being given a chance of a lifetime.

So the news I got was that everyone else in this class that I auditioned for knows a whole lot more than me about musical theory...which could make things really rough. But the lady who's running the whole thing called my mother and told her that she prayed and felt like I was being called to join it (it's this fall.) She's willing to give me some classes over the summer to help me catch up to the other students so as I won't feel out of place.

I'm taking the chance while I have it. I'm going to have to work reeaally hard drilling musical theory into my mind, but I'm willing to invest the effort it takes to get to where I want to be.

I really think I can do this. I really do!