PHForums Home PHForums PHForums Gallery PHF Arcade User Control Panel Register! Member List Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search Forums

Go Back   Pixie Hollow - Disney Fairies Online Forums > Game Forums > Computer Technical Support > Fixed

Fixed Computer Technical Support archive

Old Using Ubuntu to login (does not work)

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:19 AM
Sparrowman
View Omega's Photo Album
Omega's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Summer 2011 Award Happy Holidays'09 Award PHF's Klingon Appreciation Day Happy Easter Happy St. Patrick's Day Happy Valentine's Day 
Total Awards: 6

My Mood: Incognito
Omega has chosen their Fairy magic
Water Talent Water Talent
Using Ubuntu to login (does not work)

Not that 99% of you would be doing this, but I have a spare laptop and I let the kids use that to surf the web safely. It looks like using Ubuntu does not work properly (and I did email the Never Council).

I installed the updated flash and all that works fine (even for Webkinz), however when it tries to goto the pixie tree and give you change to pick a server, it does not work from there. DOH!

I know your probably thinking I am crazy but I find it better to let my kids use a different operating system then Windows because it is a safer way to surf for them since they seem to click on every ad under the sun. Plus most of the hackers out there program viruses and such for Windows Explorer not a Linux OS. Probably more then you needed to know, but eh thought it would help. Funny that it works for Webkinz but not Disney.

http://www.ubuntu.com/

PS: If your wondering, yes I have a multi-boot system. I can boot from multiple Operating Systems (WIN-XP, WIN-XP64, Ubuntu).

Side note I am even trying to configure a flash drive OS so I can let my kids have their own PC basically. Then if they do mess it up all I have to do is copy the OS back on the flash drive and they are good to go again. This is also helpful for the wife or the babysitter
Old 05-04-2009, 04:38 PM
loves nice cars!
View Altmed's Photo Album
Altmed's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Caption Contest Participant Award Patriot Pixie's 2009 Award 
Total Awards: 2

My Mood: Happyy
Altmed has chosen their Fairy magic
Water Talent Garden Talent Animal Talent
Thumbs up LINUX Support or bust!

Have you tried different browsers? Say Mozilla Firefox for example?

It is a free browser and open-source as well...

I play on an old P3 and would NEVER put MS Windows on my main machine, OR any new machine I might build, buy or inherit. Although Windows VISTA comes on many new machines, the first thing I would do when I get it out of the box is to wipe the HD completely and install LINUX.

When this computer eventually dies, I'll no longer have a Windows operating system because of the security issues, resource hogging, and so many other issues (unless I get another freebie computer that happens to have Windows on it, and even then Id likely remove it!)

Most people I know that care anything about their data (including schools) are switching to LINUX because it is a more efficient operating system, the security issues, and newer versions of Windows are simple too glitchy, costs entirely too much,and there is better, faster more efficient software that replaces "Winblows" driven software (as we lovingly refer to it in the computer world) that is better and is FREE, so one doesn't have to buy a TON of expensive software that runs inefficiently. I *DO STRONGLY* encourage donations to those who create the software, and the donations will cost less and further help ALL to have free software that runs FAR more efficiently, and for those who cannot afford it, OR even those with disabilities are FAR better served with LINUX than they even have been with Windows!

You might also try to use a Windows emulator as well.

I LOVE Pixie Hollow, although once this computer goes down, I'll have to either find a way to either play it on LINUX or let it go. As much as I LOVE Pixie Hollow, there is NO game worth risking viruses, and losing important data or spending my time removing viruses from an operating system that is insecure that it can be easily hacked into!

I am VERY careful as to where I go and what I do on this Windows machine, but there are still too many back-doors to Windows and the risk is simply not worth it!

Let me know how it goes with another browser, as there are MANY out there for LINUX, and those who don't switch to LINUX will eventually be left behind in the computer world.

My son is an IT tech and ALL the servers he works on (as well as many home systems) are LINUX, and they are weaning off support for Windows entirely, as after VISTA came out, there were simply too many glitches to use Windows VISTA in any type of business or school environment.

I've worked on a couple of VISTA systems and was appalled at the amount of memory it takes to simply boot the system and XP wasn't really great either. BOth are serious resource hogs, and I wouldn't consider using a VISTA system without having at least 3 GB of RAM! (AND that is what is being taught at local colleges and universities for those who can't seems to understand that VISTA is such a resource hog.)

Perhaps Disney has a contract with Microsoft?

I dunno, but it DOES bring back memories of the anti-trust lawsuit that was brought up a few years back against Microsoft. I STILL have a voucher for being reimbursed for part of what I spent on the Windows software I bought years ago, and still find a few websites occasionally that have used Microsoft software to create, and I usually simply go somewhere else to buy things or do whatever it is I am doing, as someone (In fact most web sites) have a universally available website, and web sites that are well written are universally available to ALL operating systems!

I hope that Pixie Hollow/Disney catches on and codes their web site to be universally available to ALL operating systems, or they'll simply be a place I, and many others, will no longer visit.

Anyone who's worked in the industry for any length of time, and has watched the trends knows that although many machines are sold with Windows VISTA, they are simply wiping the HDs and are installing one of the hundreds of LINUX operating systems!

I build my own, so thankfully I don't have to deal with a new machine with Windows... I simply format the new drive as one has to anyhow and install LINUX!

Again, let me know how it goes and thanks for bringing up this issue!

Hopefully the NEVER COUNCIL will address this issue, which is a VERY important one!

Old 05-04-2009, 04:57 PM
Is a badge hound fairy
View Violet Merryvale's Photo Album
Violet Merryvale's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Fairy Friends To The End Award Klingon Appreciation Day 2013 Award Summer 2013 Award Patriotic Fairy's 2013 Award International Fairy Day Award 2013 J.M. Barrie Day 2013 Award Spring 2013 Award St. Patrick Day 2013 Award 
Total Awards: 55

My Mood: Balanced
Violet Merryvale is a Fast FlyerViolet Merryvale is a Fast FlyerViolet Merryvale is a Fast FlyerViolet Merryvale is a Fast Flyer
Animal Talent Light Talent Light Talent
I had to switch from Safari to Firefox because Pixie Hollow wouldn't work right on my Mac in Safari. It seems that there are issues with certain internet browsers. You might try Firefox as earlier suggested.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

VM
Old 05-04-2009, 08:57 PM
Kinda inactive.
View EllaFlutterBreeze's Photo Album
EllaFlutterBreeze's Fairy
Awards Showcase
PHF Winter Award 2016 Happy Holidays'14 Award Design A Furniture Item Participation Award PHF's Klingon Appreciation Day Xmas Wishlist '09 Happy Holidays'09 Award Which Disney Character Participant's Award Aug'09 Scavenger Hunt Winner Award 
Total Awards: 17

My Mood: Woot
EllaFlutterBreeze has chosen their Fairy magic
Tinker Talent Water Talent Light Talent
I had to switch from Internet Explorer to Firefox because Pixie Hollow wouldn't work right on my PC in Internet Explorer. Firefox is MUCH better than IE because it has skins,better options, and less virus gets into your PC than IE. MF is wayyy better!

Yeah, I'm still here. PM me/
Old 06-07-2009, 02:15 AM
Warning! Pouting fairy
View Muddytoes's Photo Album
Muddytoes's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Happy Holidays'12 Award Happy Valenpixie Day Award EKB Day Award Spring 2011 Award St. Patrick's Day 2011 Award Patriot Pixie's 2010 Award Guess the Picture Winner's Award Design A Furniture Item Participation Award 
Total Awards: 19

My Mood: Waffle
Muddytoes has chosen their Fairy magic
Animal Talent Garden Talent Light Talent
No Problem

I have no problem zipping through Pixie Hollow on safari.

Muddytoes
Old 09-16-2009, 11:35 AM
Sparrowman
View Omega's Photo Album
Omega's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Summer 2011 Award Happy Holidays'09 Award PHF's Klingon Appreciation Day Happy Easter Happy St. Patrick's Day Happy Valentine's Day 

Thumbs up

UPDATE:

Pixiehollow now works fine using Ubuntu (Linux). This is rather cool since you can download the trial version of Ubuntu and install Adobe Flash and BAM your off and frunning on ANY PC or laptop.

The trial version won't even install actually, the download once burned to a CD will work perfectly. Great for those who have laptops from work and want to use it without all the messy work vs pleasure stuff.

Anyway... Ubuntu worked for Club Penguin, I wasn't sure when PixieHollow was going to get their act together, glad they did this opens all new doors in my opinion.

BTW: Ubuntu comes with Firefox already installed (as well as other programs such as Open Office, etc)
Old 11-16-2009, 08:28 AM
Sparrowman
View Omega's Photo Album
Omega's Fairy
Awards Showcase

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega View Post
UPDATE:

Pixiehollow now works fine using Ubuntu (Linux). This is rather cool since you can download the trial version of Ubuntu and install Adobe Flash and BAM your off and frunning on ANY PC or laptop.

The trial version won't even install actually, the download once burned to a CD will work perfectly. Great for those who have laptops from work and want to use it without all the messy work vs pleasure stuff.

Anyway... Ubuntu worked for Club Penguin, I wasn't sure when PixieHollow was going to get their act together, glad they did this opens all new doors in my opinion.

BTW: Ubuntu comes with Firefox already installed (as well as other programs such as Open Office, etc)
For those of you who might be having problems trying to log into Pixiehollow, you might want to try this. Download Ubuntu, then use the TRIAL version (it does not install anything) and then install Adobe FLASH. It works like a charm, this might be a good test to see if maybe you have a virus, or malware, or just some other conflict going on. Just a thought for those of you who are having problems.