PHForums Home PHForums PHForums Gallery PHF Arcade User Control Panel Register! Member List Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search Forums

Go Back   Pixie Hollow - Disney Fairies Online Forums > Other > Arts, Creativity, Sigs, & Avatars > Paint By Numbers

Paint By Numbers Post your tutorial and how-to guides here for the art community!

Old ☼ My Little Pony Art Tutorial ☼

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:01 PM
Tinkering away
View Onionleaf's Photo Album
Onionleaf's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Thanksgiving 2017 Award Halloween 2017 Award Autumn Equinox Award 2017 Pet Training 2017 Award International Friendship Day Award 2017 July the 4th Award 2017 Summer Solstice Award 2017 Pixie Write An Acrostic Poem Award 2017 
Total Awards: 170

My Mood: Flutterish
Onionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond repute
Tinker Talent Water Talent
If anyone is interested, Step 2 of the tutorial is now up!
This step might be rather tedious to some (or most) of you, I understand. But once the 'big stuff' is over and done with, the rest of the tutorial will go by much quicker. (I hope..)
If you are a true GIMP expert, you might know all those things already, so by knowing what tools I use, you might like to start on your pony already!
Old 02-09-2012, 09:41 PM
Summer's end, fall begin
View Julie Roseblossom's Photo Album
Julie Roseblossom's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Fairy Friends To The End Award Patriotic Fairy's 2013 Award International Fairy Day Award 2013 Summer 2013 Award J.M. Barrie Day 2013 Award May The 4th Be With You 2013 Award Spring 2013 Award St. Patrick Day 2013 Award 
Total Awards: 54

My Mood: Artistic
Julie Roseblossom has made Fairy Mary's A listJulie Roseblossom has made Fairy Mary's A listJulie Roseblossom has made Fairy Mary's A listJulie Roseblossom has made Fairy Mary's A listJulie Roseblossom has made Fairy Mary's A list
Water Talent Garden Talent Animal Talent
Well, I do know how to use GIMP. It's the only program I've ever used for graphics. Though I could never figure out Paths before, somehow that's been beyond me.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:46 AM
Tinkering away
Onionleaf's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Thanksgiving 2017 Award Halloween 2017 Award Autumn Equinox Award 2017 Pet Training 2017 Award International Friendship Day Award 2017 July the 4th Award 2017 Summer Solstice Award 2017 Pixie Write An Acrostic Poem Award 2017 

Onionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond repute
Well Julie, hopefully you will be able to figure out the Path tool now, right?
Notice: Step 3 and 4 are now up on the first post. Hopefully it won't bore anyone..
Old 02-11-2012, 09:02 AM
Summer's end, fall begin
Awards Showcase
Fairy Friends To The End Award Patriotic Fairy's 2013 Award International Fairy Day Award 2013 Summer 2013 Award J.M. Barrie Day 2013 Award May The 4th Be With You 2013 Award Spring 2013 Award St. Patrick Day 2013 Award 

Julie Roseblossom has made Fairy Mary's A listJulie Roseblossom has made Fairy Mary's A listJulie Roseblossom has made Fairy Mary's A listJulie Roseblossom has made Fairy Mary's A listJulie Roseblossom has made Fairy Mary's A list
So you actually use Paths to draw the outlines? Interesting, I just use my mouse to draw the lines (and of course, they're always crooked. At least partly.) Guess I'll have to try this tomorrow (not at 10:20 at night. )
Old 02-11-2012, 09:39 AM
Tinkering away
Onionleaf's Fairy
Awards Showcase

Yes, Paths create very neat lines, and they are absolutely perfect for MLP art.
They can be used to draw pretty much anything! Do you remember that picture I drew for the Art Award? (I would give a link if I was able to access my album) That was my first real practice with Paths. I didn't know anything about the Ink tool at that time though.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:33 PM
//inactive//
View Molly_wa's Photo Album
Molly_wa's Fairy
Awards Showcase
J.M. Barrie Day 2013 Award 2013 Happy Valentine's Day Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2012 Award Klingon Award 2012 Happy Holidays'11 Award Patriot Pixie's 2011 Award EKB Day Award Spring 2011 Award 
Total Awards: 27

My Mood: Musical
Molly_wa is a Fast FlyerMolly_wa is a Fast FlyerMolly_wa is a Fast Flyer
Water Talent Tinker Talent Water Talent
paths are amazing, i used them a lot on gimp. there are some pretty cool graphics that have been made using paths.
anyway - i think if i tried to draw a pony i'd go crazy, but i might try this for some other drawings. it's pretty sweet.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:08 AM
Tinkering away
Onionleaf's Fairy
Awards Showcase

Haha, well I'm already mad about ponies, so I can manage drawing them. ^^ I would love to see what you can create Molly!

Step 5 is now up (except for a small part of it which I forgot about until now).
I kind of ruined the surprise for Sophie *sigh*.. and this tutorial is probably not as exciting as people thought it would be, lol.
I really want to finish it as soon as possible so that I may complete the rest of my orders. You all have been extremely patient with me! Thank you so much for that!

Last edited by Onionleaf; 02-14-2012 at 05:23 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-13-2012, 10:33 PM
Summer's end, fall begin
Awards Showcase

Unless, of course, you're like me and you LOVE watching something for you being made.

Impressive coloring - I usually just keep it on the same layer and just very carefully color inside the lines.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:20 PM
Baking@IcyBlossoms viaBS❤
View Iris Waterdew's Photo Album
Iris Waterdew's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Fairy Friends To The End Award Klingon Appreciation Day 2013 Award Summer 2013 Award Patriotic Fairy's 2013 Award International Fairy Day Award 2013 J.M. Barrie Day 2013 Award Spring 2013 Award St. Patrick Day 2013 Award 
Total Awards: 43

My Mood: Busy
Iris Waterdew glows with pixie dustIris Waterdew glows with pixie dustIris Waterdew glows with pixie dustIris Waterdew glows with pixie dustIris Waterdew glows with pixie dustIris Waterdew glows with pixie dust
Water Talent
Julie, sometimes if you make multiple layers while coloring, it can make your process easier -- say, if you have finished the eyes on a certain image, you can make another layer, slip it behind your eye layer, and you won't have to worry about cutting in on the eyes at all!
Old 02-14-2012, 12:53 AM
Is Back For a Few Days :)
View vetcat1234's Photo Album
vetcat1234's Fairy
Awards Showcase
St. Patrick Day 2016 Award Fairy Friends To The End Award Patriotic Fairy's 2013 Award International Fairy Day Award 2013 Summer 2013 Award J.M. Barrie Day 2013 Award May The 4th Be With You 2013 Award Graphic Trio Award 
Total Awards: 60

My Mood: Sugar-Rush
vetcat1234 is on Tink's Buddy Listvetcat1234 is on Tink's Buddy Listvetcat1234 is on Tink's Buddy Listvetcat1234 is on Tink's Buddy Listvetcat1234 is on Tink's Buddy Listvetcat1234 is on Tink's Buddy Listvetcat1234 is on Tink's Buddy List
Water Talent Water Talent Garden Talent
I just now looked at this thread! Thanks SO much for this tutorial! I'm going to try it out sometime soon!

~Cat

Sarah Ajay Oak
Credits: Avatar: Twilight Signature: Jenny. Thanks!
Old 02-14-2012, 02:37 AM
thanks, Stormy and Lilac!
View Sophie Silkpetal's Photo Album
Sophie Silkpetal's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Fairy Friends To The End Award Summer 2013 Award Patriotic Fairy's 2013 Award International Fairy Day Award 2013 J.M. Barrie Day 2013 Award May The 4th Be With You 2013 Award Shop Till We Drop Pixie Parade Skillful Shopper's Spring 2013 Award 
Total Awards: 61

My Mood: Amazed
Sophie Silkpetal glows with pixie dustSophie Silkpetal glows with pixie dustSophie Silkpetal glows with pixie dustSophie Silkpetal glows with pixie dustSophie Silkpetal glows with pixie dustSophie Silkpetal glows with pixie dust
Water Talent Garden Talent Water Talent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onionleaf View Post
Step 5 is now up (except for a small part to it which I forgot about until now).
I've kind of ruined the surprise for Sophie *sigh*.. and this tutorial is probably not as exciting as people thought it would be, lol.
I really want to finish it as soon as possible so that I may complete the rest of my orders. You all have been extremely patient with me! Thank you so much for that!
Wow. Me, patient?! I'm not very patient...

I LOVE seeing how my pony is made! And, also, I can tell when you've made progress on it.

- Sophie

Signature by Ruby {BookThing}. Thank you!
Old 02-14-2012, 02:49 AM
is a proud water pixie!
View Twilight's Photo Album
Twilight's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Fourth of July 2019 Thanksgiving 2017 Award Halloween 2017 Award Autumn Equinox Award 2017 Scavenger Hunt 2017 Award Pet Training 2017 Award International Friendship Day Award 2017 Summer Vacation 2017 Award 
Total Awards: 221

My Mood: Pixieish
Twilight is a Fairy beyond reputeTwilight is a Fairy beyond reputeTwilight is a Fairy beyond reputeTwilight is a Fairy beyond reputeTwilight is a Fairy beyond reputeTwilight is a Fairy beyond reputeTwilight is a Fairy beyond reputeTwilight is a Fairy beyond reputeTwilight is a Fairy beyond reputeTwilight is a Fairy beyond reputeTwilight is a Fairy beyond repute
Water Talent Tinker Talent Light Talent
Wow Alexia. Just to see all the work you put into making one
pony is unreal. Thank you so much for taking time out of your day
to make these ponies for us here.

~Twi
Old 02-14-2012, 05:30 AM
Tinkering away
Onionleaf's Fairy
Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight View Post
Wow Alexia. Just to see all the work you put into making one
pony is unreal. Thank you so much for taking time out of your day
to make these ponies for us here.
It's my pleasure! I can never make anything for myself (it's not as exciting as giving a gift to someone), so I'm very happy to have other people enjoy and appreciate my work!
Besides, the whole process on the computer only takes me a few hours (not that much, considering how much free time I usually have).
Old 02-15-2012, 09:09 AM
Summer's end, fall begin
Awards Showcase

I've been going through the tutorial this evening - I have a partially completed pony (up to the current end of the tutorial.) I have it attached so you can see it - I drew it using paths. (Not pencil and paper - I don't have a scanner, and I'm too lazy to take a picture ) I made a bunch of anchors and dragged them around until they were in a general pony shape, seemed to turn out okay... but I'll let you decide.
Attached Images
File Type: png PartiallyDoneTumbleweed.png (57.6 KB, 50 views)
Old 02-16-2012, 12:33 AM
Baking@IcyBlossoms viaBS❤
View Iris Waterdew's Photo Album
Iris Waterdew's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Fairy Friends To The End Award Klingon Appreciation Day 2013 Award Summer 2013 Award Patriotic Fairy's 2013 Award International Fairy Day Award 2013 J.M. Barrie Day 2013 Award Spring 2013 Award St. Patrick Day 2013 Award 
Total Awards: 43

My Mood: Busy
Iris Waterdew glows with pixie dustIris Waterdew glows with pixie dustIris Waterdew glows with pixie dustIris Waterdew glows with pixie dustIris Waterdew glows with pixie dustIris Waterdew glows with pixie dust
Water Talent
It's improved a lot Julie!! The legs are much better, however the head & hair can still get a lot better in my opinion