PHForums Home PHForums PHForums Gallery PHF Arcade User Control Panel Register! Member List Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search Forums

Go Back   Pixie Hollow - Disney Fairies Online Forums > Game Forums > Virtual Items

Virtual Items Talk about the things you get in the game.

Old Stolen Dress?

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 07-05-2013, 01:21 AM
Superwholocked♥
View Elven's Photo Album
Elven's Fairy
My Mood: BusyBee
Elven has chosen their Fairy magic
Water Talent
Wow, it looks very similar!
I do not believe Disney would copy the design. Maybe, as some other members have said, she entered it into an outfit design contest and Disney decided to use it? It is a very beautiful dress. Maybe someone should e-mail Member Services about it..
Old 07-05-2013, 01:33 AM
Tinkering away
View Onionleaf's Photo Album
Onionleaf's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Thanksgiving 2017 Award Halloween 2017 Award Autumn Equinox Award 2017 Pet Training 2017 Award International Friendship Day Award 2017 July the 4th Award 2017 Summer Solstice Award 2017 Pixie Write An Acrostic Poem Award 2017 
Total Awards: 170

My Mood: Flutterish
Onionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond repute
Tinker Talent Water Talent
Hmm, this isn't the first time we are seeing this.. There is no doubt that the original idea came from the fan art.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Pixie Hollow designers browse fan art for inspiration (judging by this thread, it looks like they do). It would take some skill to transform the dress design into an item in the game. I'd say that the PH designer found inspiration from that drawing rather than outright copied it, but I can see how it could be seen as "stealing". The original artist is technically not losing any profit -- I would personally be very flattered if my design was used for the game.

You also have to consider the purpose for which the artist uploaded their artwork online. If they were truly worried about having their design used by others, then they would take greater care when sharing it on the internet. However, a drawing is in fact protected under the Copyright Act as soon as it is in a tangible form. I'm no lawyer, but I suppose the artist could try claiming ownership rights; the answer would be much simpler if the dress design was registered.

The more I think about it, the more curious I become. It would interesting to ask someone who knows the Copyright law well enough and see what they would say on this matter.

Profile pic by Mia L ~ Thank you! ♥ ~ Site Rules ~ Pixie Hollow Wiki
Old 07-05-2013, 10:49 PM
KTPHPA xoxo
View XRoseyGirlX's Photo Album
XRoseyGirlX's Fairy
Awards Showcase
May the Fourth 2016 Award Halloween 2015 Award Pixie Hollow Parody Award Pixie Resolutions Award Winter 2014 Award Happy Holidays'14 Award Make A Wish 2014 Award National Cookie Day 2014 Award 
Total Awards: 94

My Mood: Quiet
XRoseyGirlX glows with pixie dustXRoseyGirlX glows with pixie dustXRoseyGirlX glows with pixie dustXRoseyGirlX glows with pixie dustXRoseyGirlX glows with pixie dustXRoseyGirlX glows with pixie dust
Garden Talent Water Talent Animal Talent
Hmmm they do look similar. If I'm not mistaken, when you create an account on one of Disney's websites, you agree to their terms. I believe when you submit something, they have the right to use it if they want to but I've seen them give credit to those that deserve it. If they didn't do that and she doesn't work for Disney then she needs to contact them...
Rosey xoxo
Old 07-06-2013, 03:18 AM
loves to fly!
View ella_roseplume's Photo Album
ella_roseplume's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Winter 2015 Award 2015 Thanksgiving Award Create A Talent Award Autumn 2014 Award Fairy Friends To The End Award Summer 2013 Award Thankful Award Riddle Participant's Award 
Total Awards: 13

My Mood: Pixieish
ella_roseplume glows with pixie dustella_roseplume glows with pixie dustella_roseplume glows with pixie dustella_roseplume glows with pixie dustella_roseplume glows with pixie dustella_roseplume glows with pixie dust
Garden Talent Tinker Talent Light Talent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanglethorn View Post
I think it is an issue of copyright-- technically Disney owns Tiana but neither the drawing or the PH outfit are exact copies of the original character or drawing. So just as the artist can draw an interpretation of a character, Disney can use an interpretation of that drawing and ultimately because it is Disney "property" they are allowed to use the likeness. (ie the artist could not sue Disney for using their design because the artist first used Disney's character.)
That's not how copyrights work. Any original work of art (or writing or music, etc.) is automatically the intellectual property of the person who created it. The Tiana drawing is an original interpretation of an existing character, but since it doesn't look like the Disney version, the artist who drew it holds all rights. Disney using her work without permission is stealing and illegal.

Disney has a huge history of this kind of theft, though. It's happened several times just in Pixie Hollow, usually with outfits. They get away with it because no one can afford to sue them. It's really sad.
Old 07-06-2013, 02:22 PM
Is a Pixie
View ariendragon's Photo Album
ariendragon's Fairy
ariendragon has chosen their Fairy magic
Water Talent
Still nothing back from the artist, Claire, yet. I do have another hypothesis: maybe during one of the contests someone entered her work claiming it as their own?
Old 07-09-2013, 11:12 PM
Is a Pixie
View ariendragon's Photo Album
ariendragon's Fairy
ariendragon has chosen their Fairy magic
Water Talent
Finally heard back from Claire:

"thanks for the heads up! That is WEIRD."

It doesn't seem like she's too concerned about it. I'm still a little disappointed that Disney might have done something like this.

Last edited by ariendragon; 07-10-2013 at 08:57 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the memories ♡
View Rosalina286's Photo Album
Rosalina286's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Pixie Resolutions Award National Cookie Day 2014 Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2014 Award Super Secret Ninja Cowboy Hausfrau 2014 Award Patriotic Fairy's 2014 Award EKB Day Award 2014 Happy Valentine's Day Award Happy Holidays'14 Award 
Total Awards: 32

My Mood: Dreamy
Rosalina286 is a Fast FlyerRosalina286 is a Fast FlyerRosalina286 is a Fast FlyerRosalina286 is a Fast Flyer
Garden Talent Garden Talent
Oh wow... Seems she has gotten some recognition, just not from Disney, but from... Yahoo!

Look: http://shine.yahoo.com/photos/disney...220600808.html