PHForums Home PHForums PHForums Gallery PHF Arcade User Control Panel Register! Member List Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search Forums

Go Back   Pixie Hollow - Disney Fairies Online Forums > Other > Arts, Creativity, Sigs, & Avatars > Paint By Numbers

Paint By Numbers Post your tutorial and how-to guides here for the art community!

Old How can i make a 3D fairy?

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:55 AM
Tinkering away
View Onionleaf's Photo Album
Onionleaf's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Thanksgiving 2017 Award Halloween 2017 Award Autumn Equinox Award 2017 Pet Training 2017 Award International Friendship Day Award 2017 July the 4th Award 2017 Summer Solstice Award 2017 Pixie Write An Acrostic Poem Award 2017 
Total Awards: 170

My Mood: Flutterish
Onionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond repute
Tinker Talent Water Talent
I was answering a question through a PM about textures, and it came out to be so long that I thought it might benefit others if I add it to this thread.
Again, if any questions arise about the steps I have written here, please ask.
This is all of course, my own technique that I have developed myself, therefore I am sure that there is more than one way to create this effect. Feel free to experiment yourself with the different GIMP tools - who knows, you may be able to find a much simpler way!

The basic idea of adding a texture is to have one transparent/see-through texture layer over the layer with the clothing item. You can use just about any image for your texture layer and then make it black & white in GIMP.
For example, say you would like your clothing item to be made out of petals, so you go ahead and find an image with a petal texture. Here is mine:

When you have the image on GIMP as a separate layer, go to Colors > Desaturate and choose one of the three choices (whichever one makes the lighting and shadows look more natural & contrasting) and click OK. You then have something like this:

So, now you can alter this layer, similar to how a tailor would seam the material together to make it fit.
First I would reduce the size of my texture layer to make it fit the clothing item correctly, if it is necessary. Then I would rotate and/or flip the layer around to make all the lines face the correct way.
I also like to add a "pattern" to the texture, not simply to have one big slab of the image on the clothing item. To create a pattern, you would duplicate the texture layer (right-click on the layer, select "Duplicate Layer", then right-click on the newly created Floating Selection and select "New Layer") and move it over to the correct position over the first layer to where you want it to be.

Now there is a problem with the edges of the image seen, such as here:

You can remove them by selecting the Eraser tool, and using the Circle Fuzzy brush. Move your mouse over those edges and they should disappear, as well as effectively "blend" with the other layer.
Once you are happy with the outcome, right-click each of the layers from top to bottom and select "Merge Down", until they all merge together in the very first texture layer that you have created.

So, here is my example of my finished texture layer:

It is large enough to cover the Lily top, and the pattern seamlessly runs through.

So, move the texture layer over the clothing, make sure this layer selected in the Layers box, and click on the little arrow button over the Opacity bar on the right, and select "Value" from the list:

You should now have something like this:

(You can move the texture layer around to make it fit even better, or lower the opacity if the texture is too strong.)

At this point I normally tinker around with the following tool: Colors > Brightness-Contrast. Try increasing/decreasing the Contrast and/or Brightness for both the texture layer and the clothing layer, and see how that works out. What I have to do is always different, so you have to use trial & error here and see what works best.

After this, I would highly suggest to smudge the crisp outlines on the clothing item. Just use the smudge tool and make those lines smoother. Here's an example of what I mean:

See the difference? The one on the left should blend in much better with the texture layer.

Next I would use the Dodge/Burn tool to add shadows and highlights to both of the two layers. Again, this will be a hit-and-miss process, but the different shades on the clothing item will already help you figure out where to add the shadows and highlights. Try it out and see how the 3 different options affect your layers - that is, the Shadows, Midtones and Highlights. Try them all, and if one is too strong, lower the Exposure level. If it's too weak, increase it.

So, here is what it looks like in the end:

Now the last part that you need to do is crop the texture layer (you cannot see it, but it is much larger and the edges have to be trimmed). Just complete the following steps and GIMP will pretty much do it all for you:
  • Right-click the clothing layer and select "Alpha to Selection".
  • Now select your texture layer, and memorise the Opacity amount (should be somewhere between 0 and 100).
  • Press Ctrl+C, then Ctrl+V.
  • Right-click the new "Floating Selection" and select New Layer.
  • Delete your old texture layer, then select your new one and choose the "Value" option again in the drop-down menu.
  • Type in the Opacity value that you have memorised at the top (just click on the number and begin typing).
  • Click on the new texture layer and select "Merge Down".

Ta-dah! You should now have a finished clothing item, with a cool 3D texture effect!

And here is my example on a 3D model:

It would take too long to make a 3D fairy wear a short top, so I made it as an addition to Sil's dress.

I hope that made sense, and have fun creating those texture effects!

Profile pic by Mia L ~ Thank you! ♥ ~ Site Rules ~ Pixie Hollow Wiki
Old 11-09-2012, 10:38 PM
Inactive for a while
View AznSilver's Photo Album
AznSilver's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Caption Contest Participant's Award Klingon Appreciation Day 2013 Award Speed Chat Phrase Story Designer Participant's Awa Summer 2013 Award J.M. Barrie Day 2013 Award Spring 2013 Award St. Patrick Day 2013 Award 2013 Happy Valentine's Day Award 
Total Awards: 14

My Mood: Pretty
AznSilver has made Fairy Mary's A listAznSilver has made Fairy Mary's A listAznSilver has made Fairy Mary's A listAznSilver has made Fairy Mary's A list
Water Talent Water Talent
3D Fairy Profile Picture?

Hey guys! I have been admiring ALOT of people's 3D fairy profile pictures! I really wanna make one of my own, but i really dont know how to! Can anybody atleast show me a video or picture? I know you want to keep it a secret and stuff but can ya at least help me? Thanks!

Silver C:
Old 11-09-2012, 11:54 PM
In an art world
View BrittPixie's Photo Album
BrittPixie's Fairy
Awards Showcase
2015 Thanksgiving Award 2014 Thanksgiving Award Patriotic Fairy's 2014 Award 2014 Happy Valentine's Day Award Winter 2013 Award Happy Holidays'13 Award Summer 2013 Award St. Patrick Day 2013 Award 
Total Awards: 22

My Mood: Artistic
BrittPixie glows with pixie dustBrittPixie glows with pixie dustBrittPixie glows with pixie dustBrittPixie glows with pixie dustBrittPixie glows with pixie dustBrittPixie glows with pixie dust
Animal Talent Garden Talent Water Talent
Rainbow

Hiya Silver!

I came up with the 3D idea so I would like to tell you. You can check out my album with my creations or my shop (3D Fairy Orders (again!) ) for inspiration.

I am making a video on how to make it...hopefully I can upload it today.

Well first you want to start with a 3d fairy image base found on the website. Go on something like gimp or photoshop. Open up an image of your fairy. Then, try to put your fairy's skin tone (I have to show you) on the 3D image…or just leave it alone. You can put the fairy's eye color in a new layer and use a mode like Hue. Merge it down. You might have to use the Clone tool or something like that to create the lips you want. I will make a video for the harder parts: the hair and the clothing. I hope it is helpful so far. Please ask me if something isn't clear, I would be happy to help.

Last edited by BrittPixie; 11-16-2012 at 10:05 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:23 PM
Collector
View Alyce Natalie's Photo Album
Alyce Natalie's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Thankful for 2019 Create a Contest 2019 Friendship Award 2019 Fourth of July 2019 Thanksgiving 2017 Award Halloween 2017 Award Autumn Equinox Award 2017 Scavenger Hunt 2017 Award 
Total Awards: 155

My Mood: Creative
Alyce Natalie is Tinker Bell's best friendAlyce Natalie is Tinker Bell's best friendAlyce Natalie is Tinker Bell's best friendAlyce Natalie is Tinker Bell's best friendAlyce Natalie is Tinker Bell's best friendAlyce Natalie is Tinker Bell's best friendAlyce Natalie is Tinker Bell's best friendAlyce Natalie is Tinker Bell's best friendAlyce Natalie is Tinker Bell's best friendAlyce Natalie is Tinker Bell's best friendAlyce Natalie is Tinker Bell's best friend
Tinker Talent Animal Talent Garden Talent
Hi Alexa, thank you so much to tell me how to make 3D fairies and I did it! But my picture are not good as u make. Here's my picture:

1. http://www.pixiehollowforums.com/for...ictureid=57305
2. http://www.pixiehollowforums.com/for...ictureid=57307
3. http://www.pixiehollowforums.com/for...ictureid=57309

Alyce Natalie

Last edited by Alyce Natalie; 02-24-2013 at 10:34 AM.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:55 PM
Gone surfing bye :)
View Scarlet Diamondheart's Photo Album
Scarlet Diamondheart's Fairy
Awards Showcase
J.M. Barrie Day 2013 Award May The 4th Be With You 2013 Award Graphic Trio Award Spring 2013 Award St. Patrick Day 2013 Award Get Connected Award  - Retired Guess The Picture Winner's Award 2013 Happy Valentine's Day Award 
Total Awards: 12

My Mood: Sleepy
Scarlet Diamondheart is a wiz at Fairy TagScarlet Diamondheart is a wiz at Fairy TagScarlet Diamondheart is a wiz at Fairy Tag
Animal Talent Garden Talent Light Talent
um

I dont get it i got it until u got to the open the gmi something and i dont have that
Old 01-22-2013, 10:54 AM
Tinkering away
View Onionleaf's Photo Album
Onionleaf's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Thanksgiving 2017 Award Halloween 2017 Award Autumn Equinox Award 2017 Pet Training 2017 Award International Friendship Day Award 2017 July the 4th Award 2017 Summer Solstice Award 2017 Pixie Write An Acrostic Poem Award 2017 
Total Awards: 170

My Mood: Flutterish
Onionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond repute
Tinker Talent Water Talent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyce.natalie View Post
Hi Alexa, thank you so much to tell me how to make 3D fairies and I did it! But my picture are not good as u make.
Wonderful work for a very first try! I'm glad I could help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigergirl12 View Post
I dont get it i got it until u got to the open the gmi something and i dont have that
You'll have to download a free program called GIMP if you would like to try making a 3D fairy by my tips. Downloading this program will have to be your very first step for making graphics.
You're in luck if you already have Photoshop, it is a much nicer image editing program.

Profile pic by Mia L ~ Thank you! ♥ ~ Site Rules ~ Pixie Hollow Wiki
Old 01-22-2013, 06:23 PM
☼♦Shine bright♦☼
View Iceglow's Photo Album
Iceglow's Fairy
Awards Showcase
St. Partrick's Day Award 2014 Pixie Resolution 2014 Award Halloween 2013 Award Fairy Friends To The End Award Super Secret Ninja Cowboy Hausfrau 2013 Award J.M. Barrie Day 2013 Award 2013 Happy Valentine's Day Award Guess The Picture Winner's Award 
Total Awards: 28

My Mood: Snow!
Iceglow is a talented FairyIceglow is a talented Fairy
Light Talent Light Talent Light Talent
Wings?

Whenever I finish a 3D fairy (seen Here) Ijust end up eraseing the wings cause i mess them up so much.. So how do you keep the wings nice?
Old 01-22-2013, 09:37 PM
Miss you all <3
View Julie Sunripple's Photo Album
Julie Sunripple's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Winter 2015 Award Halloween 2015 Award Autumn 2015 Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2015 Award Super Secret Ninja Cowboy Hausfrau 2015 Award Klingon Appreciation Day 2015 Award Summer 2015 Award May The 4th 2015 Award 
Total Awards: 65

My Mood: fairyish
Julie Sunripple is on Tink's Buddy ListJulie Sunripple is on Tink's Buddy ListJulie Sunripple is on Tink's Buddy ListJulie Sunripple is on Tink's Buddy ListJulie Sunripple is on Tink's Buddy ListJulie Sunripple is on Tink's Buddy ListJulie Sunripple is on Tink's Buddy List
Light Talent Tinker Talent Water Talent
When I do 3D fairies, the first thing I do is cut out the wings and paste them onto a separate layer. This thread shows how to do it on 2D fairies, and the method for 3D is very similar. I hope this helps.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:53 AM
☼♦Shine bright♦☼
View Iceglow's Photo Album
Iceglow's Fairy
Awards Showcase
St. Partrick's Day Award 2014 Pixie Resolution 2014 Award Halloween 2013 Award Fairy Friends To The End Award Super Secret Ninja Cowboy Hausfrau 2013 Award J.M. Barrie Day 2013 Award 2013 Happy Valentine's Day Award Guess The Picture Winner's Award 
Total Awards: 28

My Mood: Snow!
Iceglow is a talented FairyIceglow is a talented Fairy
Light Talent Light Talent Light Talent
Oh thank-you Julie! :O I get it now :P
Old 01-30-2013, 10:09 PM
View Misty_12's Photo Album
Misty_12's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Winter 2015 Award 2015 National Cookie Day Award 2015 Thanksgiving Award Halloween 2015 Award Autumn 2015 Award Patriotic Fairy's 2015 Award Summer 2015 Award May The 4th 2015 Award 
Total Awards: 68

My Mood: BusyBee
Misty_12 is on Tink's Buddy ListMisty_12 is on Tink's Buddy ListMisty_12 is on Tink's Buddy ListMisty_12 is on Tink's Buddy ListMisty_12 is on Tink's Buddy ListMisty_12 is on Tink's Buddy ListMisty_12 is on Tink's Buddy List
Water Talent Tinker Talent Water Talent
Question 3D Fairy Question

I am trying to make a 3D fairy using GIMP. Is there another way to do the hair besides cutting it out of your fairy’s picture?
I’ve seen other 3D fairies people have made with hair that didn’t look like it was cut out. Does anyone know how to do it that way? (or is it top secret? )
Old 02-02-2013, 02:49 AM
Just glow with it! :)
View _Maggie_'s Photo Album
_Maggie_'s Fairy
Awards Showcase
Happy Holidays'13 Award National Cookie Day 2013 Award Halloween 2013 Award Autumn 2013 Award Fairy Friends To The End Award Super Secret Ninja Cowboy Hausfrau 2013 Award International Literacy Day 2013 Award Patriotic Fairy's 2013 Award 
Total Awards: 19

_Maggie_ glows with pixie dust_Maggie_ glows with pixie dust_Maggie_ glows with pixie dust_Maggie_ glows with pixie dust_Maggie_ glows with pixie dust_Maggie_ glows with pixie dust
Light Talent
I do not make 3D fairies so I don't know how, but you should ask Foxstripe or brittany75103. I'm sure they will be happy to help!

~Maggie
Old 02-02-2013, 09:30 AM
Collector
Alyce Natalie's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Thankful for 2019 Create a Contest 2019 Friendship Award 2019 Fourth of July 2019 Thanksgiving 2017 Award Halloween 2017 Award Autumn Equinox Award 2017 Scavenger Hunt 2017 Award 

Alyce Natalie is Tinker Bell's best friendAlyce Natalie is Tinker Bell's best friendAlyce Natalie is Tinker Bell's best friendAlyce Natalie is Tinker Bell's best friendAlyce Natalie is Tinker Bell's best friendAlyce Natalie is Tinker Bell's best friendAlyce Natalie is Tinker Bell's best friendAlyce Natalie is Tinker Bell's best friendAlyce Natalie is Tinker Bell's best friendAlyce Natalie is Tinker Bell's best friendAlyce Natalie is Tinker Bell's best friend
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie the Fairy View Post
I do not make 3D fairies so I don't know how, but you should ask Foxstripe or brittany75103. I'm sure they will be happy to help!

~Maggie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty_12 View Post
I am trying to make a 3D fairy using GIMP. Is there another way to do the hair besides cutting it out of your fairy’s picture?
I’ve seen other 3D fairies people have made with hair that didn’t look like it was cut out. Does anyone know how to do it that way? (or is it top secret? )
Hey there, Maggie and Misty! I'm glad u ask that question.
With a wise and praise, I'd answer that question.

The problem is I'm messy so I can't make smooth hair. But if u can try, I have a clue.

Steps:
1. Copy minister hair, for example Silvermist hair.
2. In the minister hair, make your own fairy hair shape.
3. You are finished (add a hair effect if you need )

Example of my 3D fairies (transparent):
http://www.pixiehollowforums.com/for...ictureid=57761 (I only need 1-2 hour to make it )

U don't need to ask Brittany and Foxstripe. So easy huh? If u try it everyday, u can easily making 3D fairy.

Thanks,
Alyce Natalie

Last edited by Alyce Natalie; 02-24-2013 at 10:36 AM.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:17 PM
Just glow with it! :)
View _Maggie_'s Photo Album
_Maggie_'s Fairy
Awards Showcase
Happy Holidays'13 Award National Cookie Day 2013 Award Halloween 2013 Award Autumn 2013 Award Fairy Friends To The End Award Super Secret Ninja Cowboy Hausfrau 2013 Award International Literacy Day 2013 Award Patriotic Fairy's 2013 Award 
Total Awards: 19

_Maggie_ glows with pixie dust_Maggie_ glows with pixie dust_Maggie_ glows with pixie dust_Maggie_ glows with pixie dust_Maggie_ glows with pixie dust_Maggie_ glows with pixie dust
Light Talent
Oh Happy, I appreciate your help, but I was more like answering Misty's question. I am not really looking how to make 3D fairies, but I was just making a suggestion. But thank you anyway.
~Maggie
Old 02-24-2013, 10:35 AM
Collector
Alyce Natalie's Fairy
Awards Showcase

No problem! Make sure start your first try

~Alyce Natalie~
Old 02-26-2013, 05:30 PM
Gone surfing bye :)
View Scarlet Diamondheart's Photo Album
Scarlet Diamondheart's Fairy
Awards Showcase
J.M. Barrie Day 2013 Award May The 4th Be With You 2013 Award Graphic Trio Award Spring 2013 Award St. Patrick Day 2013 Award Get Connected Award  - Retired Guess The Picture Winner's Award 2013 Happy Valentine's Day Award 
Total Awards: 12

My Mood: Sleepy
Scarlet Diamondheart is a wiz at Fairy TagScarlet Diamondheart is a wiz at Fairy TagScarlet Diamondheart is a wiz at Fairy Tag
Animal Talent Garden Talent Light Talent
A new way to 3D a fairy

I was watching a video the other day and i saw this video called how to edit your fairy and i clicked on it and i did the same thing so i thought id try to 3D a fairy and its sooooo easy all u have to do is put a 3D fairy in use the cut out cut out her hair then click finish on that then click cut out again and do it to your outfit and hair its alot easier