PHForums Home PHForums PHForums Gallery PHF Arcade User Control Panel Register! Member List Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search Forums

Go Back   Pixie Hollow - Disney Fairies Online Forums > Other > Arts, Creativity, Sigs, & Avatars > Paint By Numbers

Paint By Numbers Post your tutorial and how-to guides here for the art community!

Old making screen shots of leaf journal badge pages

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:58 PM
playing DI on Xbox One
View Littlebell's Photo Album
Littlebell's Fairy
Awards Showcase
St. Partrick's Day Award 2015 May The 4th Be With You 2014 Award 2013 Thanksgiving Award Autumn 2013 Award Scavenger Hunt Winner's Award Fairy Friends To The End Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2013 Award Caption Contest Winner's Award 
Total Awards: 84

My Mood: Creative
Littlebell is on Tink's Buddy ListLittlebell is on Tink's Buddy ListLittlebell is on Tink's Buddy ListLittlebell is on Tink's Buddy ListLittlebell is on Tink's Buddy ListLittlebell is on Tink's Buddy List
Garden Talent Tinker Talent Water Talent
Computer making screen shots of leaf journal badge pages

someone asked the other day about being able to see badges, so i thought i'd take screen shots of all my badge pages. i didn't want to do individual badges, as the forum albums are limited to 200 and they're probably all in the wiki anyway.

i didn't want to spend all day on it, so i wanted to see if i could save some time. this may not work exactly the same for everyone, depending on what you use, but the general steps may be useful.

first, set up your browser. i prefer Safari, but anything that will get you into the game will work. go into the game, open your leaf journal's badge tab, and then resize your browser window so that it's big enough to get everything you want, but small enough so there's not a lot of extra space. with Safari, i can start by making it too small, then make it bigger until the scroll bars disappear - just wide enough for the menu bar at the top of the page, and just tall enough to get the links at the bottom with the black background.

next, find out which keys will do your screen shots, and make sure the desktop or folder they'll end up in is empty if you can - it will make finding and selecting them later a lot easier. on a Mac, command-shift-4 will start a selection-based screen shot, and if you then press the space bar, the cursor will change from crosshairs to a camera icon so that you can capture one entire window (like your browser window). starting with the table of contents page, screen shot every page; in my case, that was 55 (toc + 54 pages). if you have the pixie patience, you can skip the stuff below by only selecting the specific area without pressing the space bar. try starting at the upper right corner in the exact center of the "x" for closing the leaf journal, and then drag to the lower left until you've selected an area 640x440. it's not the exact same view as below, but it's fairy close.

here's where things may be different. on a Mac, select them all, and then right-click (or control-click if your mouse can't do right clicks) and "open with" the program you want to use.

i use Photoshop Elements myself because the layers make things easier for me. at this point, there will be one open file for every screen shot. in order to do them all the same way, i next pick one to be the "main" file and use "duplicate layer" to copy all the others into it, naming each layer after the badge page name and number, and then closing the original file afterwards so i can see how many are left to do. this leaves a single file with one layer for every badge page. since each screen shot was from the same window position and size, everything should be lined up. check by turning off layer visibility for every layer, and then turning them back on one at a time. this is also a good time to check that you didn't capture anything you didn't want (like the little "Complete!" that pops-up when you hover over a completed badge).

the forum allows up to 800x600, but that's a lot bigger than the useful area of each badge page. i figured out that 640x460 is big enough to keep everything; the width is just inside the left/right arrows, and the height is below the pixie dust bar and above the chat bar. use your program's crop tool to select just the area you want to keep. in Photosohp Elements, you can use the arrow keys to nudge the selection area one pixel at a time. if your program doesn't do layers, you might want to note the x/y position of the top left and bottom right corners of that area if you want them all to be "pixel (pixie?) perfect".

now comes the tedious part, depending on how many badge pages you have. starting with the top layer (or the first file if you don't have layers), save each as a jpg file, no larger than what the forum allows for upload (195.3K currently). in Photoshop Elements, i use "save for web" which leaves the preview icon out of the file and makes it a little smaller. for settings, i use "medium" quality (about 50%), which can compress a 1.12M image to about 60K; checking the "progressive" box can also help make them a little smaller. if you're not sure about the quality afterwards, open the newly saved file in the same program and try to look at them side by side; they may not look exact, but should at least be readable. for file names, i use my name, the page number (00 for the toc page), the page name, and the year/month/day of the screen shot, plus ".jpg" on the end. i've noticed that Photoshop Elements will replace spaces with dashes/hyphens when using "save as web".

if you "collect" Pixie Hollow screen shots and you're concerned about disk space, you might consider only keeping the jpg files. my original screen shot files are about 1MB each, or 55MB for all my badge pages; but for 60K jpg files it's just over 3MB total. i mention this because right now my "Littlebell" folder alone has just over 1200 items and is about 1GB.

now that i've done mine, i'm making a list of which badges i'm missing and putting color labels on my files to indicate which ones will need to be updated later. i'll be uploading mine to my "badges" album here on the forum, just not all in one day.

i'm sorry if this seems really long, but i hope the information is useful.

other pages i find useful include the "Known Badges" sticky topic:
http://www.pixiehollowforums.com/for...read.php?t=698

and of course the wiki page.
http://disneyonlineworlds.com/index...._Hollow_Badges
Old 10-28-2010, 07:38 PM
Im a Founding Fairy!
View Olivia Diamondsky's Photo Album
Olivia Diamondsky's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Earth Day 2016 Award Patriotic Fairy's 2015 Award Summer 2015 Award National Cookie Day 2014 Award Patriotic Fairy's 2014 Award Arcade Winner - Retired Award Arcade Puzzle Challenge Champs Award Arcade Winner - Retired Award 
Total Awards: 94

My Mood: Amuzed
Olivia Diamondsky is on Tink's Buddy ListOlivia Diamondsky is on Tink's Buddy ListOlivia Diamondsky is on Tink's Buddy ListOlivia Diamondsky is on Tink's Buddy ListOlivia Diamondsky is on Tink's Buddy ListOlivia Diamondsky is on Tink's Buddy ListOlivia Diamondsky is on Tink's Buddy List
Animal Talent Garden Talent Water Talent
Littlebell Your awesome!
Olivia Diamondsky
Old 10-28-2010, 08:10 PM
Is a Pixie
View Harmony Rosewish's Photo Album
Harmony Rosewish's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Happy Holidays'11 Award Design a Potion Participation's Award Happy Valenpixie's Day Award Winter Solstice Award 2010 Holiday Award Halloween'10 Award 
Total Awards: 6

My Mood: Cheerful
Harmony Rosewish has chosen their Fairy magic
Garden Talent Light Talent Light Talent
You are so smart!

How do I put a Wallpaper on my profile page? I love some of the beautiful ones here on the Forum.
Great Job! You sure have alot of badges!
Harmony Rosewish
Old 10-28-2010, 11:41 PM
Searching....
View Jezzi's Photo Album
Jezzi's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Patriotic Fairy's 2014 Award May The 4th Be With You 2014 Award EKB Day Award Spring 2014 Award St. Partrick's Day Award 2014 2014 Happy Valentine's Day Award Winter 2013 Award National Cookie Day 2013 Award 

My Mood: Pixieish
Jezzi is a Fairy beyond reputeJezzi is a Fairy beyond reputeJezzi is a Fairy beyond reputeJezzi is a Fairy beyond reputeJezzi is a Fairy beyond reputeJezzi is a Fairy beyond reputeJezzi is a Fairy beyond reputeJezzi is a Fairy beyond reputeJezzi is a Fairy beyond reputeJezzi is a Fairy beyond reputeJezzi is a Fairy beyond repute
Garden Talent Animal Talent Animal Talent
Thanks for posting this guide Littlebell, I'm sure a lot of people will use it. A little too technical for me though (yeah, yeah... too much like hard work too )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony Rosewish View Post
How do I put a Wallpaper on my profile page? I love some of the beautiful ones here on the Forum.
Great Job! You sure have alot of badges!
Harmony Rosewish
Profile Albums and Customize Profile

Credits ~ Signature: Alyce Natalie ~ Profile: Twilight ~ Avatar: SweetCupcake ~ Thank you!
Old 10-29-2010, 04:48 AM
I miss ya'll!
View arianna's Photo Album
arianna's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Klingon Appreciation Day 2013 Award Spring 2011 Award EKB Day Award St. Patrick's Day 2011 Award Book Titler Participant's Award Happy Valenpixie's Day Award Make A Wish Award Winter Solstice Award 
Total Awards: 30

My Mood: Magical
arianna is a wiz at Fairy Tagarianna is a wiz at Fairy Tag
Water Talent Garden Talent Animal Talent
You're so awesome, Littlebell! This is nice )
Old 10-29-2010, 01:11 PM
Thinking about things
View Breezy lemonwind's Photo Album
Breezy lemonwind's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Arcade Winner - Retired Award Fairy Friends To The End Award Summer 2013 Award Patriotic Fairy's 2013 Award International Fairy Day Award 2013 J.M. Barrie Day 2013 Award Guess The Picture Winner's Award Winter 2012 Solstice Award 
Total Awards: 66

My Mood: Flutterish
Breezy lemonwind has made Fairy Mary's A listBreezy lemonwind has made Fairy Mary's A listBreezy lemonwind has made Fairy Mary's A listBreezy lemonwind has made Fairy Mary's A listBreezy lemonwind has made Fairy Mary's A list
Water Talent Tinker Talent Garden Talent
Thanks Littlebell, you are awesome.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:29 PM
playing DI on Xbox One
View Littlebell's Photo Album
Littlebell's Fairy
Awards Showcase
St. Partrick's Day Award 2015 May The 4th Be With You 2014 Award 2013 Thanksgiving Award Autumn 2013 Award Scavenger Hunt Winner's Award Fairy Friends To The End Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2013 Award Caption Contest Winner's Award 

My Mood: Creative
Littlebell is on Tink's Buddy ListLittlebell is on Tink's Buddy ListLittlebell is on Tink's Buddy ListLittlebell is on Tink's Buddy ListLittlebell is on Tink's Buddy ListLittlebell is on Tink's Buddy List
Garden Talent Tinker Talent Water Talent
thanks everyone!

and thanks for relocating this, Jezzi; i completely missed this sub-forum.
Old 10-29-2010, 04:56 PM
Is a badge hound fairy
View Violet Merryvale's Photo Album
Violet Merryvale's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Fairy Friends To The End Award Klingon Appreciation Day 2013 Award Summer 2013 Award Patriotic Fairy's 2013 Award International Fairy Day Award 2013 J.M. Barrie Day 2013 Award Spring 2013 Award St. Patrick Day 2013 Award 
Total Awards: 55

My Mood: Balanced
Violet Merryvale is a Fast FlyerViolet Merryvale is a Fast FlyerViolet Merryvale is a Fast FlyerViolet Merryvale is a Fast Flyer
Animal Talent Light Talent Light Talent
I have done this and my only problem is they keep changing the pages around! I have a mac and would just take a picure of the page with Grab and turn it into a JPEG by resaving in photoshop. Very easy, but now that there are 54 REARRANGED pages, it is time to do it again. I hate the way they move things around and that not all collection badges are together. My old pages are in my album from March, but many changes. I now have almost 350 badges, so it takes a while to take pictures.

Good luck to all who want to preserve their albums.

VM

PS it is a great thing to do in case there are questions on badges with the NC as well as for sharing!