PHForums Home PHForums PHForums Gallery PHF Arcade User Control Panel Register! Member List Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search Forums

Go Back   Pixie Hollow - Disney Fairies Online Forums > Other > Arts, Creativity, Sigs, & Avatars > Paint By Numbers

Paint By Numbers Post your tutorial and how-to guides here for the art community!

Old Animation Guide

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 11-25-2010, 03:38 AM
//inactive//
View Molly_wa's Photo Album
Molly_wa's Fairy
Awards Showcase
J.M. Barrie Day 2013 Award 2013 Happy Valentine's Day Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2012 Award Klingon Award 2012 Happy Holidays'11 Award Patriot Pixie's 2011 Award EKB Day Award Spring 2011 Award 
Total Awards: 27

My Mood: Musical
Molly_wa is a Fast FlyerMolly_wa is a Fast FlyerMolly_wa is a Fast Flyer
Water Talent Tinker Talent Water Talent
Animation Guide

animation guide.
by molly.

so, anastasia asked for an animation guide. i’ll be making a gerard way icon, to demonstrate how to make an animated image. the same technique can be used for anything (signatures, profile pictures, moods, userbars, etc), but when you start to get into more detailed work that requires transparency, has soft edges/anything faded out, or a mixture of the two, it doesn’t always look good (in fact, most of the time it tends not to). gif’s can handle transparency, but not well. if you’re working with an image that has transparency and you would like for it to animate, but it doesn’t need to, then i say ditch the animation and go for transparency on a .png instead of a .gif. let’s get onto the tutorial, shall we?

start up gimp and open a new canvas that’s sized to your liking. i like my icons to be quite small, so i’ll go with 50x50 pixels. open up the images you wish to put in the image. it is possible to use just one image, if you’d like to show several aspects of the particular image, which i’ll be doing in this. it helps a lot to have the layers dialog open while working on an animated image, so go ahead and open that up (CTRL+L or windows > dockable dialogs > layers). resize or edit the first image to your liking, then copy and paste it onto the blank canvas. it’ll show up as a floating selection in the layer dialog, so anchor it. (you can click outside of what was pasted onto the canvas, but if that doesn’t work, layer > anchor layer.)

now, the key to animation is layers. lots of layers for complex animation, and very few for simple animation. what i’m doing right now is quite simple, and i’ll only have 3 or 4 frames, but i’ve made animations with 35 frames before. go ahead and create a new layer. you could go to layer > new layer, or you could shift+ctrl+n, but i have a habit of creating a new layer from the layers dialog. the new layer button in the layers dialog is the blank piece of paper with the corner folded over.

you can name it whatever you please, but i’m going to name it “layer”, because i’m just boring like that. it’ll be a transparent layer, but we don’t want that. so copy your next image, or, if you’re doing what i’m doing and showing several parts of a single image, copy the same image again, and paste it onto that new layer. you should have two layers now.

you can create as many layers as you wish. i ended up with four, including text. to add a text layer, i suggest starting off with one that has a background and the text and it’s merged together. create a new layer and fill it with whatever color you choose. i’m going to use a bright red (#f82900). pick a color and font for your text, and apply your text. my text is going to be pure white. here’s the thing, if you choose to save it now, there’s going to be several problems with it. my red background will pop up for a second then my text will, which yours will do too. so let’s fix that. go to your layers dialog, and right click on your text layer (it should be above your one-color background layer, in my case, the red layer). select merge down, and we’ve pretty much got the text problem cleared up!

there’s a more general problem, though. each frame will only pop up for a second or two. this isn’t good. what you can do is duplicate each layer several times, which can get a little confusing if you choose to add something at the end, so let’s both try to get into the habit of editing the layer name to fix this problem. right click on your very first layer and select edit layer attributes. right after the layer name (which is probably “Background”), put (1000ms). that’ll tell the image how long you want that frame to play for. do the same for every other layer and you’re set.

you can go to filters > animation > playback to see how it looks. don’t mess with where it says 100%, if you do and you make it slower there, that isn’t going to work when you save it. add any finishing touches right now. if you want to put on a border, you’ll have to apply it to each layer. now let’s save it. this part probably confuses a lot of people who are like me, and don’t look at all the options for saving things. go ahead and go to file > save as... and put in what you want to name it, but make sure .gif is after it. for instance, mine’ll be gerardicon.gif. press save, but when the little window comes up, don’t press export. if you look at the first two things you can select under “GIF plug-in can only handle layers as animation frames”, you’ll see the one automatically checked is flatten image. do we want that? no. it’ll make all the layers into one, so select save as animation. now you can export. on the next window, don’t mess with anything, just click save.

hope this helped some people figure out how to animate.
here’s my final product. :3

pictures are pending approval.
if you'd like me to do any other tutorials let me know.
Old 11-25-2010, 04:31 AM
I miss ya'll!
View arianna's Photo Album
arianna's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Klingon Appreciation Day 2013 Award Spring 2011 Award EKB Day Award St. Patrick's Day 2011 Award Book Titler Participant's Award Happy Valenpixie's Day Award Make A Wish Award Winter Solstice Award 
Total Awards: 30

My Mood: Magical
arianna is a wiz at Fairy Tagarianna is a wiz at Fairy Tag
Water Talent Garden Talent Animal Talent
Can you put up a glowing name on Photoshop tuts? If ya can't it's ok,
Old 11-25-2010, 04:50 AM
//inactive//
Molly_wa's Fairy
Awards Showcase
J.M. Barrie Day 2013 Award 2013 Happy Valentine's Day Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2012 Award Klingon Award 2012 Happy Holidays'11 Award Patriot Pixie's 2011 Award EKB Day Award Spring 2011 Award 

no can do, i don't have photoshop.
Old 11-25-2010, 04:17 PM
music is what i breathe
View vilmadebora's Photo Album
vilmadebora's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Winter Solstice Award Happy Holidays'11 Award Halloween'11 Award Design a Potion Participation's Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2011 Patriot Pixie's 2011 Award Caption Contest Participant's Award Spring 2011 Award 

vilmadebora has made Fairy Mary's A listvilmadebora has made Fairy Mary's A listvilmadebora has made Fairy Mary's A listvilmadebora has made Fairy Mary's A listvilmadebora has made Fairy Mary's A list
Animal Talent Water Talent Garden Talent
Molly! You are the best I did it!!! Attachment 3196 OMG! THNAKS SO MUCH!! I have followed so many guides but none like yours! Detaile and esay
PS: I know random image lol Dino :P

Last edited by vilmadebora; 12-23-2010 at 03:13 AM.
Old 11-25-2010, 04:22 PM
//inactive//
Molly_wa's Fairy
Awards Showcase

haha i'm glad it helped. complex means complicated, but i get your point. xD great final product. :3
Old 11-25-2010, 04:27 PM
music is what i breathe
vilmadebora's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Winter Solstice Award Happy Holidays'11 Award Halloween'11 Award Design a Potion Participation's Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2011 Patriot Pixie's 2011 Award Caption Contest Participant's Award Spring 2011 Award 

vilmadebora has made Fairy Mary's A listvilmadebora has made Fairy Mary's A listvilmadebora has made Fairy Mary's A listvilmadebora has made Fairy Mary's A listvilmadebora has made Fairy Mary's A list
I have a bad language arts teacher.. am going to tell her what it means no woder i didnt pass the vocab test.

Anyways thanks!
Old 11-25-2010, 04:31 PM
//inactive//
Molly_wa's Fairy
Awards Showcase

xD my language arts teacher is e-v-i-l, evil.
you're very much welcome :]
Old 11-25-2010, 04:44 PM
music is what i breathe
vilmadebora's Fairy
Awards Showcase

I did another one! Without the guide. Well I took some peeks..
Attachment 3198 from that to thisAttachment 3197

Last edited by vilmadebora; 12-23-2010 at 03:13 AM.
Old 11-25-2010, 05:04 PM
//inactive//
Molly_wa's Fairy
Awards Showcase

awesome result! [:

Last edited by Molly_wa; 11-25-2010 at 05:26 PM.
Old 11-25-2010, 05:30 PM
~Woop dee doo
View camillia's Photo Album
camillia's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Summer 2011 Award Guess The Picture Winner's Award Happy Valenpixie's Day Award Scavenger Hunt Winner's Award 2010 Holiday Award Twins Participants Award Halloween'10 Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2010 
Total Awards: 24

My Mood: Bored
camillia is a talented Fairycamillia is a talented Fairy
Water Talent Tinker Talent Light Talent
Because I have no school I might try this today.
Awesome tutorial .
Old 11-25-2010, 05:37 PM
music is what i breathe
vilmadebora's Fairy
Awards Showcase

For real Molly thanks so much! One more thing to my list of Thanks in Thanksgiving

Am doing small things first
Old 11-25-2010, 05:53 PM
//inactive//
Molly_wa's Fairy
Awards Showcase

can't wait to see your outcome, camillia (if you do it, that is. haha).

@anastasia - good choice. you should try playing with how long the frame stays up for. just change the 1000ms part. 1000ms means 1000 milliseconds, so play around with it a little.
Old 11-25-2010, 06:38 PM
music is what i breathe
vilmadebora's Fairy
Awards Showcase

Thanks for tips And how do you make the picture dim?
I did it yesterday but I forgot, bad memory.

BTW you like my Avatar
Its weird the speeds are not set right lol but I did it!
Old 11-25-2010, 07:32 PM
//inactive//
Molly_wa's Fairy
Awards Showcase

like, make it look dark? or animate something so its kind of fading to the blackness?
Old 11-25-2010, 07:52 PM
music is what i breathe
vilmadebora's Fairy
Awards Showcase

Make it look dark