PHForums Home PHForums PHForums Gallery PHF Arcade User Control Panel Register! Member List Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search Forums

Go Back   Pixie Hollow - Disney Fairies Online Forums > Other > Arts, Creativity, Sigs, & Avatars > Paint By Numbers

Paint By Numbers Post your tutorial and how-to guides here for the art community!

Old How did you learn to draw/edit/etc?

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 03-07-2015, 03:18 PM
Solving life's mysteries
View tinker406TWO's Photo Album
tinker406TWO's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Thanksgiving 2017 Award Summer Vacation 2017 Award PHF Winter Award 2016  Halloween Award 2016 School Days Contest PHF 2016 Word Unscramble Winner's Award PHF 2016 TV Star Award 
Total Awards: 112

My Mood: Dreamy
tinker406TWO has mastered their Fairy magictinker406TWO has mastered their Fairy magictinker406TWO has mastered their Fairy magictinker406TWO has mastered their Fairy magictinker406TWO has mastered their Fairy magictinker406TWO has mastered their Fairy magictinker406TWO has mastered their Fairy magictinker406TWO has mastered their Fairy magictinker406TWO has mastered their Fairy magic
Water Talent Light Talent Animal Talent
Question How I Make Badges

How I Make Badges

Contents
  1. Introduction
  2. What you need
  3. The basic badge
  4. Creating a badge set
  5. More tips

Introduction

This thread will tell you how I make my badges. They can be seen on the thread All New Badges.

If you want to make badges like the ones on this thread, you’ve come to the right place! I’ll start with the basic essentials of the badge and then I’ll show you how I do cool thinks like changing the color of the badge and stuff like that.

Without further ado, let’s get started!

What you need

I use an editing program called GIMP to make my badges. Any other editing program like Photoshop will work as well, but in this tutorial, I’ll be using GIMP.

This is an example of the GIMP tool kit. To prevent you from getting overwhelmed, I boxed all the tools you’ll be using. The gold boxed tools are the “only if necessary” tools.

Here are the other features you’ll be using (they’re “only if necessary” items):

Select-Grow
Select-None
Colors-Hue Saturation
Filters-Blur-Gaussian Blur
Layer-Alpha to Selection
Layer-Merge Down

The basic badge

First, you’ll need a template. Here are the templates I made:

Starter badges:

Super or Event badges:

Flitterific badges:

Royal badges:

Paste the template on a GIMP file, and you’re ready to start!

Step One: The Background

Find a suitable background for your badge on Google Images or DOW. I usually use pixie hollow meadows, but I sometimes use something different.

Paste the image on GIMP and lower the layer Opacity so you can see the badge under the background. You can see what will be in the badge that way. You can move and scale.

The Opacity bar should be on the Layer window. I circled it on this pic:

Erase the background except the area in the badge. I like to use the Rectangular Select tool to help me, but when I can’t use it, I use the Eraser tool. It should look something like this when done:

You can set your Opacity back to 100 now.

Step Two: The object on the badge

If you wanna keep things simple, you may just use the background, but badges usually have something in the background like a fairy or an object.

Look for a good image on Google Images or any website with good images. For larger images with a colorful background, you’ll want to open it on another GIMP browser and use the Free Select tool to select the object. For images with a single color or transparent background, simply paste the image to the badge. If there’s a background, use the Fuzzy Select tool.

Simply move the image to the desired area in the badge. You might need to use the scale tool. You can add as many objects as you like!

Step Three: The Text

Make sure color 1 is black for the text. You’ll be using the Text tool.

For the title of the badge, set the font to 25 and type the title. It’ll go near the top of the box.

For the description which explains how your fairy earned the badge, keep the font at 18 and type it. Press Enter when you think the line should end. You might need to move the text a little. The text should look something like this when finished:

Creating a badge set

In some of my badges, I add a starter badge, super badge, flitterific badge and a royal badge. You’ll need all four templates.

The Background

I usually use the same background per badge set. I recommend doing the cropping process all over again rather then copying and pasting the background layer for each badge because each template is a different shape. You may use the same background layer for the Flitterific and Royal badges, but you’ll need to do some minor erasing for the Royal badge.

The The Object

For the starter badge, the object is simple, but I add more development for the harder badges.

For example, for my library badges, I added one book with a glow for my starter badge (I’ll tell you about the glow in the More Tips section) and added another book as well as the first book for the Super badge. I moved the two book layers, merged them down and added the glow. I added a third book for the Flitterific badge.

For the Royal badge, you can add a completely different image. I added a whole set of books instead of simply adding more books to the set in the Flitterific badge.

See how my badges developed in these pictures. You don’t have to do what I did though. Make sure the objects develop though. Check some of my badges in the badge thread.

The Text

Create a title for the badges like Library Book Reader. It’ll be used in the entire badge set. Simply use the title in the starter badge and add Super, Flitterific and Royal in the other badges.

Make the starter badge really easy to earn and make the other badges gradually harder to earn. For the Royal badge, make it really difficult to earn. A good tip is to add an extra challenge (for example, for the royal gathering badges in Pixie Hollow, you have to hold a high number of ingredients in your pouch at the same time).

More tips

Here are some more tips that I like to use in some of my badges:

Tip #1: The Glow

I’d like to thank Dawn Peppertree for teaching this. I've learned this in a video. This simple technique will make a “glow” appear behind an object. I really like this technique and use it in some of my other edits.

Step 1: Alpha the object to selection. Make sure you are on the right layer.

Step 2: Create a new layer behind the glowing object

Step 3: Go to Select-Grow and change the number to 5.

Step 4: Set color 1 to White and fill the new layer

Step 5: Click Select-None so the glow will have a good effect

Step 6: Go to Filters-Blur-Gaussian Blur and set the Radius to 50.0 to 50.0 to add the full blur effect. Click OK and you’ve got the glow!

Top #2: Changing the color of the badge

I used this cool tip on my Princess badges and might use it again.

Step 1: Select the badge (I’m not the best at this step )

Step 2: Go to Colors-Hue Saturation and move the bars until the badge is the color you want it

Hue Bar: Changes the color. Move it around until you get the color you want
Lightness Bar: Self explanatory. The far left is the darkest and the far right is the lightest
Saturation Bar: How neutral the color is. The far left is completely neutral and the far right is a bright shade of the color

Thank you for reading. I might update this in the future. Comment if you have any questions. I’m not the best at explaining things.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:02 PM
Flitterific Garden Fairy
View Coconut Tulippetal's Photo Album
Coconut Tulippetal's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Friendship Award 2019 Fourth of July 2019 Thanksgiving 2017 Award Halloween 2017 Award Autumn Equinox Award 2017 Talk Like A Pirate Day Award 2017 Scavenger Hunt 2017 Award International Friendship Day Award 2017 
Total Awards: 102

My Mood: fairyish
Coconut Tulippetal is on Tink's Buddy ListCoconut Tulippetal is on Tink's Buddy ListCoconut Tulippetal is on Tink's Buddy ListCoconut Tulippetal is on Tink's Buddy ListCoconut Tulippetal is on Tink's Buddy ListCoconut Tulippetal is on Tink's Buddy ListCoconut Tulippetal is on Tink's Buddy List
Garden Talent Water Talent Animal Talent
Flitterific guide, Tinker! This is definitely going to be helpful to pixies learning how to make badges.

Avatar by _Stormy_ | Profile Picture and Signature by Alyce
Old 03-07-2015, 10:01 PM
Here and there
View Rainbowswirls's Photo Album
Rainbowswirls's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Arcade Champ Arcade Champ Halloween Award 2016 Arcade Champ Arcade Champ Earth Day 2016 Award End of the Rainbow Award Spring 2016 Award 
Total Awards: 42

My Mood: Thinking
Rainbowswirls met the QueenRainbowswirls met the QueenRainbowswirls met the QueenRainbowswirls met the QueenRainbowswirls met the QueenRainbowswirls met the Queen
Garden Talent Water Talent Tinker Talent
I agree, Coconut! I want to get GIMP sometime soon, so I can create badges, too!
Old 03-09-2015, 12:09 AM
Is in my comfy place
View Blaze_of_Glory's Photo Album
Blaze_of_Glory's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Friendship Award 2019 Fourth of July 2019 Arcade Champ Arcade Champ Arcade Champ Halloween 2017 Award Scavenger Hunt 2017 Award Arcade Champ 
Total Awards: 87

My Mood: Reading
Blaze_of_Glory glows with pixie dustBlaze_of_Glory glows with pixie dustBlaze_of_Glory glows with pixie dustBlaze_of_Glory glows with pixie dustBlaze_of_Glory glows with pixie dustBlaze_of_Glory glows with pixie dust
Water Talent Light Talent Animal Talent
Thanks for posting this guide, Tinker. It's very helpful. I think I'll try downloading GIMP sometime, when I'm a little more practiced at graphics making.

Thank you Stormy and Alyce!
Old 03-09-2015, 08:47 AM
Tinkering away
View Onionleaf's Photo Album
Onionleaf's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Thanksgiving 2017 Award Halloween 2017 Award Autumn Equinox Award 2017 Pet Training 2017 Award International Friendship Day Award 2017 July the 4th Award 2017 Summer Solstice Award 2017 Pixie Write An Acrostic Poem Award 2017 
Total Awards: 170

My Mood: Flutterish
Onionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond repute
Tinker Talent Water Talent
This is a great guide, Tinker! You covered all the basics needed to start making badges, and you even added instructions for a glow effect too!
To those who are starting out using GIMP, I'd say that the best way to learn is to experiment with all the different tools and practice many times over. The possibilities are endless when it comes to badge-making.

Profile pic by Mia L ~ Thank you! ♥ ~ Site Rules ~ Pixie Hollow Wiki
Old 12-30-2015, 11:27 PM
Happy New Year!
View Daisy GlitterConfetti's Photo Album
Daisy GlitterConfetti's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Arcade Champ Pixie Resolutions Award 2017 Outfit Designer 2016 Awawrd Arcade Champ Arcade Champ 6 More Weeks of Contests Award Pixie Resolutions Award Winter 2015 Award 
Total Awards: 24

My Mood: Adventurous
Daisy GlitterConfetti has made Fairy Mary's A listDaisy GlitterConfetti has made Fairy Mary's A listDaisy GlitterConfetti has made Fairy Mary's A listDaisy GlitterConfetti has made Fairy Mary's A list
Water Talent Tinker Talent Animal Talent
This is a great guide, Tinker! I just created a "Tea with the Queen" Badge! I had to use Pixlr, though, since I don't have Photoshop or GIMP, but I was still able to use your guide.

I think I messed up a bit on the background, since all you can see past the Teapot and Teacup are leaves, but I still like it.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:09 AM
Tinkering away
View Onionleaf's Photo Album
Onionleaf's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Thanksgiving 2017 Award Halloween 2017 Award Autumn Equinox Award 2017 Pet Training 2017 Award International Friendship Day Award 2017 July the 4th Award 2017 Summer Solstice Award 2017 Pixie Write An Acrostic Poem Award 2017 
Total Awards: 170

My Mood: Flutterish
Onionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond repute
Tinker Talent Water Talent
It's really good, Daisy! I actually like the background you chose, it pops out nicely and made me imagine how our fairies would have a quiet drink of tea up in the treetops.

I hope you'll make more badges to share with us in the future.

Profile pic by Mia L ~ Thank you! ♥ ~ Site Rules ~ Pixie Hollow Wiki
Old 01-04-2016, 05:39 AM
Collector
View Alyce Natalie's Photo Album
Alyce Natalie's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Thankful for 2019 Create a Contest 2019 Friendship Award 2019 Fourth of July 2019 Thanksgiving 2017 Award Halloween 2017 Award Autumn Equinox Award 2017 Scavenger Hunt 2017 Award 
Total Awards: 155

My Mood: Creative
Alyce Natalie is Tinker Bell's best friendAlyce Natalie is Tinker Bell's best friendAlyce Natalie is Tinker Bell's best friendAlyce Natalie is Tinker Bell's best friendAlyce Natalie is Tinker Bell's best friendAlyce Natalie is Tinker Bell's best friendAlyce Natalie is Tinker Bell's best friendAlyce Natalie is Tinker Bell's best friendAlyce Natalie is Tinker Bell's best friendAlyce Natalie is Tinker Bell's best friendAlyce Natalie is Tinker Bell's best friend
Tinker Talent Animal Talent Garden Talent
Ouch, I just didn't noticed about this thread, oh my.

The guide that Tinker gives to us to make a badge is just very helpful for me and I believe others too, because sometimes I have some troubles to make badge in a quick amount of time... and this guide is just very helpful to me, thanks.

Oh yes, and Daisy just made a wonderful badge from the guides of this thread, and I simply really enjoy the teapot and cups color that you choose for the badge, oh yes, and simply strategic name for the badge itself. Oh yes, and I also agree with Onion for saying that your teapot blends perfectly with the background, what a nice choice. Great job...
Old 01-05-2016, 10:18 PM
Our fairies are in our ♥s
View PixieHollowForever's Photo Album
PixieHollowForever's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Friendship Award 2019 Arcade Champ Talk Like A Pirate Day Award 2017 Pixie Get Caught Reading Award 2017 Pixie Get A New Name Award 2017 Pixie Resolutions Award 2017 2016 Holiday Traditions Contest PHF Winter Award 2016 
Total Awards: 37

My Mood: fairyish
PixieHollowForever is on Tink's Buddy ListPixieHollowForever is on Tink's Buddy ListPixieHollowForever is on Tink's Buddy ListPixieHollowForever is on Tink's Buddy ListPixieHollowForever is on Tink's Buddy ListPixieHollowForever is on Tink's Buddy List
Animal Talent Water Talent Light Talent
There is another way you can add the background in. You can make the inside transparent, then have the layer above the background layer. It has the same result as the other technique, it just seems simpler to me so I shared it.