PHForums Home PHForums PHForums Gallery PHF Arcade User Control Panel Register! Member List Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search Forums

Go Back   Pixie Hollow - Disney Fairies Online Forums > Other > Arts, Creativity, Sigs, & Avatars

Arts, Creativity, Sigs, & Avatars Movie Production, Artwork, Animations, Sounds and other creative things to do with Pixie Hollow and Disney.

Old Art improvement (oh well... maybe a little bit improvement)

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 09:15 AM
Tinkering away
View Onionleaf's Photo Album
Onionleaf's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Thanksgiving 2017 Award Halloween 2017 Award Autumn Equinox Award 2017 Pet Training 2017 Award International Friendship Day Award 2017 July the 4th Award 2017 Summer Solstice Award 2017 Pixie Write An Acrostic Poem Award 2017 
Total Awards: 170

My Mood: Flutterish
Onionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond repute
Tinker Talent Water Talent
Dandelion is beautiful, and so full of character. I could imagine her being on a front cover of her own storybook.

Did you use coloring pencils, or is this a digital drawing? I like the soft, pencil-like effect that you used.

Profile pic by Mia L ~ Thank you! ♥ ~ Site Rules ~ Pixie Hollow Wiki
Old 02-27-2017, 10:43 AM
Collector
View Alyce Natalie's Photo Album
Alyce Natalie's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Thankful for 2019 Create a Contest 2019 Friendship Award 2019 Fourth of July 2019 Thanksgiving 2017 Award Halloween 2017 Award Autumn Equinox Award 2017 Scavenger Hunt 2017 Award 
Total Awards: 155

My Mood: Creative
Alyce Natalie is Tinker Bell's best friendAlyce Natalie is Tinker Bell's best friendAlyce Natalie is Tinker Bell's best friendAlyce Natalie is Tinker Bell's best friendAlyce Natalie is Tinker Bell's best friendAlyce Natalie is Tinker Bell's best friendAlyce Natalie is Tinker Bell's best friendAlyce Natalie is Tinker Bell's best friendAlyce Natalie is Tinker Bell's best friendAlyce Natalie is Tinker Bell's best friendAlyce Natalie is Tinker Bell's best friend
Tinker Talent Animal Talent Garden Talent
I finally able to improve myself!
Hi, Princess Belladonna.

Right now I'm busy in school exam and animation task from my friend, so I might not publish some art for awhile.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:40 PM
Collector
Alyce Natalie's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Thankful for 2019 Create a Contest 2019 Friendship Award 2019 Fourth of July 2019 Thanksgiving 2017 Award Halloween 2017 Award Autumn Equinox Award 2017 Scavenger Hunt 2017 Award 

Alyce Natalie is Tinker Bell's best friendAlyce Natalie is Tinker Bell's best friendAlyce Natalie is Tinker Bell's best friendAlyce Natalie is Tinker Bell's best friendAlyce Natalie is Tinker Bell's best friendAlyce Natalie is Tinker Bell's best friendAlyce Natalie is Tinker Bell's best friendAlyce Natalie is Tinker Bell's best friendAlyce Natalie is Tinker Bell's best friendAlyce Natalie is Tinker Bell's best friendAlyce Natalie is Tinker Bell's best friend
Whoops did I miss something??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onionleaf View Post
Dandelion is beautiful, and so full of character. I could imagine her being on a front cover of her own storybook.

Did you use coloring pencils, or is this a digital drawing? I like the soft, pencil-like effect that you used.
Thank you. I do the sketch with pencil first, then color the picture with the computer. To make sure the image is colored, I set the pencil/sketch layer to multiply, so the sketch is still visible. I also sometimes color the image on the top of the sketch layer to add some smoother skin effect.

---
No... I have to post something

Explanation:
Step 1: Blocking
I block out the main shape of the face. In this step, I do a very rough drawing of my face structure and paying attention to the proportions.

Step 2: Edgework
In this step, I started to pay attention to the general form of the face and also add some dark shadows to increase the picture contrast.

Step 3: Detail
The next thing to do is to create the detail of the face. I usually started out from the eyes and aggressively focus on the eyes, since eyes are the main focal point of the portrait. I also start to repair the nose (I'm bad at nose drawing, so yeah)

Step 4: Hair
I created the hair with a hair custom brush. I also use the mixture of photoshop round brush to create a more realistic look.

Step 5: Repair
In this step, I flip the image and find out lots of mistakes that is pretty funny to recognize. I decided to just fix some of them and flip back the image.
Tip: It's easier to find mistakes by flipping the image!

Step 6: Background
At this step, I start to work out with the background and try to blend the render/the girl with the background itself. At first, it's challenging to do this, but with some trial and error I finally able to match those two elements up.

Step 7: Final Polishing
The last one! I adjust the background and add up some highlights.

---
And here's the portrait result:

Last edited by Alyce Natalie; 03-15-2017 at 05:46 PM.
Old 03-19-2017, 02:50 AM
Tinkering away
Onionleaf's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Thanksgiving 2017 Award Halloween 2017 Award Autumn Equinox Award 2017 Pet Training 2017 Award International Friendship Day Award 2017 July the 4th Award 2017 Summer Solstice Award 2017 Pixie Write An Acrostic Poem Award 2017 

Onionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond repute
Wow, that was very interesting to see all the steps, it sure is a long process. Your new portrait drawing looks amazing as always. Do you ever use photos or other drawings as references?

Old 03-20-2017, 01:38 PM
Is a Founding Fairy
View StormyLightningberry's Photo Album
StormyLightningberry's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Friendship Award 2019 Pet Training 2017 Award Pixie Write An Acrostic Poem Award 2017 First Day of Spring Award 2017  2016 Fairy Feast Award Summer 2016 Award Outfit Designer 2016 Awawrd 
Total Awards: 149

My Mood: Wishful
StormyLightningberry is on Tink's Buddy ListStormyLightningberry is on Tink's Buddy ListStormyLightningberry is on Tink's Buddy ListStormyLightningberry is on Tink's Buddy ListStormyLightningberry is on Tink's Buddy ListStormyLightningberry is on Tink's Buddy ListStormyLightningberry is on Tink's Buddy List
Garden Talent Water Talent Light Talent
That is excellent! It must have taken a long time. I am impressed.

signature by the talented _Stormy_ (I am the other Stormy!)
Old 03-27-2017, 06:48 PM
I miss PH & PHF
View Primrosesweet's Photo Album
Primrosesweet's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Arcade Champ Autumn Equinox Award 2017 Pixie Get Caught Reading Award 2017 Pixie Write An Acrostic Poem Award 2017 Pixie Create A New Holiday Award 2017 Pixie Get A New Name Award 2017 Valentine's Day Award 2017  
Total Awards: 73

My Mood: Quiet
Primrosesweet met the QueenPrimrosesweet met the QueenPrimrosesweet met the QueenPrimrosesweet met the QueenPrimrosesweet met the QueenPrimrosesweet met the Queen
Water Talent Garden Talent Light Talent
Same here. That's impressive!

Old 04-01-2017, 10:47 AM
Collector
Alyce Natalie's Fairy
Awards Showcase

Quote:
Wow, that was very interesting to see all the steps, it sure is a long process. Your new portrait drawing looks amazing as always. Do you ever use photos or other drawings as references?
Thank you, and yes. I do use other drawings as my references, but I rely on internet tutorial more than references.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormyLightningberry View Post
That is excellent! It must have taken a long time. I am impressed.
Thank you. And yeah, it took me around 3-4 hours (I guess) to finish the portrait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primrosesweet View Post
Same here. That's impressive!
Thank you!

I got bored so I update the banner and also making this one:

The result came out terribly, I should've tried to ink more...
That's my OC Karina (remember the purple portrait drawing? I decided to remake her in colored version).
The castle background isn't belong to me, that's a stock image that I found in the internet.

Old 04-07-2017, 04:46 PM
Collector
Alyce Natalie's Fairy
Awards Showcase

At least my OC looks good enough...

Well... yeah I'm practicing on cross hatching. It's really fun thing to do beside shading.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:00 AM
Tinkering away
Onionleaf's Fairy
Awards Showcase

Very cool, Alyce. Love how you explore different art techniques, this one was a nice surprise!

Old 06-16-2017, 06:58 AM
Collector
Alyce Natalie's Fairy
Awards Showcase

Quote:
Very cool, Alyce. Love how you explore different art techniques, this one was a nice surprise!
Thank you!

---

Whoops, I haven't posted for a while.
School had made me so busy for a while, and now I'm back!

Here's the picture that I'm working on right now:
Old 06-19-2017, 12:45 PM
Collector
Alyce Natalie's Fairy
Awards Showcase

And here's the finished product:

I'm going to draw the other one.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:36 PM
Collector
Alyce Natalie's Fairy
Awards Showcase

The sketch picture is still in progress. Meanwhile, since I got bored for a while in traditional art, I decided to do a digital art instead. I do a practice in doing a portrait.

The leather texture is one of the stock images I found on the internet.

A pirate.

Old 06-21-2017, 02:01 PM
Collector
Alyce Natalie's Fairy
Awards Showcase

I'm not really happy with the final results, but here it is: