PHForums Home PHForums PHForums Gallery PHF Arcade User Control Panel Register! Member List Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search Forums

Go Back   Pixie Hollow - Disney Fairies Online Forums > Game Forums > Computer Technical Support

Computer Technical Support General & Fairies Related Software & Hardware support. Recommendations, Reviews and so forth.

Old accounts and passwords: be careful :)

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 04-14-2013, 12:59 PM
playing DI on Xbox One
View Littlebell's Photo Album
Littlebell's Fairy
Awards Showcase
St. Partrick's Day Award 2015 May The 4th Be With You 2014 Award 2013 Thanksgiving Award Autumn 2013 Award Scavenger Hunt Winner's Award Fairy Friends To The End Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2013 Award Caption Contest Winner's Award 
Total Awards: 84

My Mood: Creative
Littlebell is on Tink's Buddy ListLittlebell is on Tink's Buddy ListLittlebell is on Tink's Buddy ListLittlebell is on Tink's Buddy ListLittlebell is on Tink's Buddy ListLittlebell is on Tink's Buddy List
Garden Talent Tinker Talent Water Talent
Post accounts and passwords: be careful :)

*whew* that was close. i almost lost all of my PH "alt" accounts... all because i was off by 1 letter on my passwords.

anyway, here's some general info; should be useful to everyone, but may be more useful to those with multiple accounts. some of this may sound obvious, but hopefully not *too* obvious.
  • when choosing a password, make sure that it's both easy for you to remember but difficult to guess. for sites that allow it, i always use a mix of uppercase, lowercase, numbers, and symbols (PH and PHF both allow these). don't use (dictionary) words and substitute numbers for letters (like 0 for o, 1 for i, etc. - P1x1eH0ll0w would be a really bad password - almost as bad as Passw0rd); that's an old 20th century trick, and really easy for a hacker to guess. instead, i think of a phrase or a bunch of words, and use one letter of each (not saying *which* letter ).
  • some say not to record it anywhere, but if your password is *really* strong and you don't use it for awhile, it might be hard to remember otherwise. if you're going to record it, record it somewhere safe. don't write it down on a sticky note and put it on the bottom of your keyboard or mousepad (or anywhere else easy/obvious to look). i don't know if there's anything similar available for Windows, but on my Mac i'm using Keychain Access. i created a keychain called "games", and store my game logins there. the keychain files are encrypted... so there.
  • make sure you know what e-mail address(es) you have set up on your account(s). you might want to keep a list of what you use each e-mail address for. i recently changed one of mine for an alt account, but forgot i was using it for that, and when i couldn't remember the password and tried to get the reset link, i didn't get it because i had already deleted the e-mail account! fortunately, i finally figured out the mistake in my password and fixed it.
  • when changing a password... test, test, test! in my case, i had sort of taken the "easy route", and having picked a new password and stored it in Keychain Access, i just copied it from there and pasted it into the new password fields on the web page form. this shouldn't sound like a problem, but the silly thing is... what i originally typed was 1 letter off from the password i actually wanted. oops? so you might want to change it on a site, record it somewhere safe, and then log out/in on the site and check that it works... while looking at what you recorded.
  • if you have multiple game accounts, and multiple e-mail accounts to go with them, it might help if they're related somehow. in my case, they are/were... except for the one, which is why i'd forgotten what i was using it for.
  • if you have multiple e-mail accounts (not just "aliases"; if you have them, you'll know what i mean),... i don't know about anyone else, but i don't like having to check a "pile" of e-mail accounts. instead, i use two as "mailboxes", and forward the others to one of those two. in my case, i have an iCloud account (my Apple ID for iTunes, etc.) that i use as a mailbox for "personal" things (family, friends, etc.), and a Gmail account as a mailbox for everything else (gaming, mailing lists, etc.).
  • last but not least, i prefer a "separation of church and state" when it comes to accounts and passwords. i don't use the same password for everything; with a single password for everything, if someone hacks one account,... "game over". while i won't "give away the home world" with how my stuff is set up, i *will* say that my personal, financial, game, etc. passwords are all different - and unrelated.
hmmm... that's a bit longer than i expected, but i hope it helps.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:42 PM
Defy gravity!
View glitter8pony's Photo Album
glitter8pony's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Thankful For Award Summer 2015 Award 2014 Happy Valentine's Day Award Pixie Resolution 2014 Award Make A Pixie Wish Award National Cookie Day 2013 Award Happy Holidays'13 Award 2013 Thanksgiving Award 
Total Awards: 56

My Mood: Wishful
glitter8pony glows with pixie dustglitter8pony glows with pixie dustglitter8pony glows with pixie dustglitter8pony glows with pixie dustglitter8pony glows with pixie dustglitter8pony glows with pixie dust
Water Talent Tinker Talent Garden Talent
Thanks for the info! One time my sister accidentally gave her password to another pixie holllow member. I was the one who figured it out because I saw my sisters fairy and my sister wasn't online. We fixed it though.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:20 PM
Loves my PHF friends!
View popcorn1234's Photo Album
popcorn1234's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Thanksgiving 2017 Award Halloween 2017 Award Autumn Equinox Award 2017 Talk Like A Pirate Day Award 2017 Scavenger Hunt 2017 Award International Friendship Day Award 2017 Summer Vacation 2017 Award July the 4th Award 2017 
Total Awards: 137

My Mood: Distracting
popcorn1234 is Tinker Bell's best friendpopcorn1234 is Tinker Bell's best friendpopcorn1234 is Tinker Bell's best friendpopcorn1234 is Tinker Bell's best friendpopcorn1234 is Tinker Bell's best friendpopcorn1234 is Tinker Bell's best friendpopcorn1234 is Tinker Bell's best friendpopcorn1234 is Tinker Bell's best friendpopcorn1234 is Tinker Bell's best friendpopcorn1234 is Tinker Bell's best friendpopcorn1234 is Tinker Bell's best friend
Light Talent Tinker Talent Animal Talent
I feel kinda bad now, because some of the things you said not to do I am currently doing... (Its like you read my mind or something!)
For instance, is it bad if most of my passwords are similar, yet have small differences between each one?
Old 04-14-2013, 02:45 PM
playing DI on Xbox One
View Littlebell's Photo Album
Littlebell's Fairy
Awards Showcase
St. Partrick's Day Award 2015 May The 4th Be With You 2014 Award 2013 Thanksgiving Award Autumn 2013 Award Scavenger Hunt Winner's Award Fairy Friends To The End Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2013 Award Caption Contest Winner's Award 
Total Awards: 84

My Mood: Creative
Littlebell is on Tink's Buddy ListLittlebell is on Tink's Buddy ListLittlebell is on Tink's Buddy ListLittlebell is on Tink's Buddy ListLittlebell is on Tink's Buddy ListLittlebell is on Tink's Buddy List
Garden Talent Tinker Talent Water Talent
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn1234 View Post
I feel kinda bad now, because some of the things you said not to do I am currently doing... (Its like you read my mind or something!)
For instance, is it bad if most of my passwords are similar, yet have small differences between each one?
well, i suppose that depends on what they are and how different they are. for example, someone i know uses something like a "base" password for everything, and then adds some characters to that to make them different.

if it's a "strong" password that can't be guessed easily, it should be ok.

if it's named after a pixie on the account, "not so much".
Old 04-14-2013, 03:18 PM
Busy as a bee♥
View Hazel Brightsparkle's Photo Album
Hazel Brightsparkle's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Arcade Champ Arcade Champ April Fool's 2016 Award End of the Rainbow Award Arcade Champ 6 More Weeks of Contests Award Tooth Fairy Day 2016 Award Pixie Resolutions Award 
Total Awards: 80

My Mood: Dreaming
Hazel Brightsparkle is on Tink's Buddy ListHazel Brightsparkle is on Tink's Buddy ListHazel Brightsparkle is on Tink's Buddy ListHazel Brightsparkle is on Tink's Buddy ListHazel Brightsparkle is on Tink's Buddy ListHazel Brightsparkle is on Tink's Buddy ListHazel Brightsparkle is on Tink's Buddy List
Light Talent Garden Talent Water Talent
I try to be safe when having multiple emails. I have two: my personal, and my Pixie Hollow email. My PH email actually isn't hooked up to my account, but it's hooked up to YouTube, because I don't want to establish my YouTube account on my personal email-too public, and easy for "bad people" to get a hold of my real name.
I actually changed my password yesterday. My best friend accidentally traded away diamonds, and I asked the NC if they could give them back, letting them know it was an accident.
They told me to change my password for safety reasons. I did. I figured my best friend wouldn't be mad, since she abruptly quit Pixie Hollow a few days ago.
Thanks Littlebell for putting together these tips! It will help me in the future when I make accounts on sister sites.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:08 PM
Loves my PHF friends!
View popcorn1234's Photo Album
popcorn1234's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Thanksgiving 2017 Award Halloween 2017 Award Autumn Equinox Award 2017 Talk Like A Pirate Day Award 2017 Scavenger Hunt 2017 Award International Friendship Day Award 2017 Summer Vacation 2017 Award July the 4th Award 2017 
Total Awards: 137

My Mood: Distracting
popcorn1234 is Tinker Bell's best friendpopcorn1234 is Tinker Bell's best friendpopcorn1234 is Tinker Bell's best friendpopcorn1234 is Tinker Bell's best friendpopcorn1234 is Tinker Bell's best friendpopcorn1234 is Tinker Bell's best friendpopcorn1234 is Tinker Bell's best friendpopcorn1234 is Tinker Bell's best friendpopcorn1234 is Tinker Bell's best friendpopcorn1234 is Tinker Bell's best friendpopcorn1234 is Tinker Bell's best friend
Light Talent Tinker Talent Animal Talent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebell View Post
for example, someone i know uses something like a "base" password for everything, and then adds some characters to that to make them different.

if it's a "strong" password that can't be guessed easily, it should be ok.
Ok, good. Thanks for the help!
Old 05-31-2014, 08:18 AM
Is a Pixie
View Jen10's Photo Album
Jen10's Fairy
Jen10 has chosen their Fairy magic
Light Talent Light Talent Light Talent
Thanks for such important information.