PHForums Home PHForums PHForums Gallery PHF Arcade User Control Panel Register! Member List Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search Forums

Go Back   Pixie Hollow - Disney Fairies Online Forums > Other > Arts, Creativity, Sigs, & Avatars > Paint By Numbers

Paint By Numbers Post your tutorial and how-to guides here for the art community!

Old Gimp Help! [Merged]

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 12-06-2015, 10:43 PM
in a blink
View Neverbelle's Photo Album
Neverbelle's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Thankful for 2019 Create a Contest 2019 Friendship Award 2019 Fourth of July 2019 Arcade Champ Arcade Champ Scavenger Hunt 2017 Award July the 4th Award 2017 
Total Awards: 120

My Mood: fairyish
Neverbelle has mastered their Fairy magicNeverbelle has mastered their Fairy magicNeverbelle has mastered their Fairy magicNeverbelle has mastered their Fairy magicNeverbelle has mastered their Fairy magicNeverbelle has mastered their Fairy magicNeverbelle has mastered their Fairy magicNeverbelle has mastered their Fairy magicNeverbelle has mastered their Fairy magicNeverbelle has mastered their Fairy magic
Chat How did you learn to draw/edit/etc?

Fly with you, pixies!

We have some really talented artists on this forum! Your artwork seriously makes me go "wooow" sometimes. So I was wondering... Where did you learn to draw/paint/edit/etc? How long have you been doing it? Why did you start? What inspires you? Do you like to do digital or traditional art more? And last but not least, do you have any tips for people who would like to learn?

I personally have a lot of trouble with shading. It just doesn't come naturally to me. *wings crossed* I will learn it one day!
Old 12-06-2015, 11:15 PM
is a proud water pixie!
View Twilight's Photo Album
Twilight's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Fourth of July 2019 Thanksgiving 2017 Award Halloween 2017 Award Autumn Equinox Award 2017 Scavenger Hunt 2017 Award Pet Training 2017 Award International Friendship Day Award 2017 Summer Vacation 2017 Award 
Total Awards: 221

My Mood: Pixieish
Twilight is a Fairy beyond reputeTwilight is a Fairy beyond reputeTwilight is a Fairy beyond reputeTwilight is a Fairy beyond reputeTwilight is a Fairy beyond reputeTwilight is a Fairy beyond reputeTwilight is a Fairy beyond reputeTwilight is a Fairy beyond reputeTwilight is a Fairy beyond reputeTwilight is a Fairy beyond reputeTwilight is a Fairy beyond repute
Water Talent Tinker Talent Light Talent
I learned to make graphics from Iris here she made a perfect tutorial.
I started Christmas 2011, wow almost 4 years. My sister got Photoshop for Christmas to edit and save her photos, so I borrowed it for fairy graphics.
Then I learned from asking questions to others here, and just trying different
things.

I started making greeting cards in about 2004 I think. I find different ideas on
Pinterest and on card making sites. But most come out of my head.

I used to draw all the time as a kid, but I guess that did not stick.

~Twi
Old 12-07-2015, 01:58 AM
Loves my PHF friends!
View popcorn1234's Photo Album
popcorn1234's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Thanksgiving 2017 Award Halloween 2017 Award Autumn Equinox Award 2017 Talk Like A Pirate Day Award 2017 Scavenger Hunt 2017 Award International Friendship Day Award 2017 Summer Vacation 2017 Award July the 4th Award 2017 
Total Awards: 137

My Mood: Distracting
popcorn1234 is Tinker Bell's best friendpopcorn1234 is Tinker Bell's best friendpopcorn1234 is Tinker Bell's best friendpopcorn1234 is Tinker Bell's best friendpopcorn1234 is Tinker Bell's best friendpopcorn1234 is Tinker Bell's best friendpopcorn1234 is Tinker Bell's best friendpopcorn1234 is Tinker Bell's best friendpopcorn1234 is Tinker Bell's best friendpopcorn1234 is Tinker Bell's best friendpopcorn1234 is Tinker Bell's best friend
Light Talent Tinker Talent Animal Talent
I don't know how long I've been drawing for... maybe, forever, I guess? It started out mainly as doodling--something I did whenever I was bored or my mind was elsewhere in the middle of class. I just liked drawing occasionally, and I still do now.

I guess I'm self-taught, then. So essentially I would draw something that looked like a person, then after a while I wanted to try out a different way of drawing hands, or eyes, or something, and this constant testing to see what works helped develop a sort-of "style". (My biggest influence so far has been a sketch of Tink and Peri that I bought while at Disney World--the sketch lets you see how they designed the fairies, and their rough lines and such, and I guess I liked the drawing so much I let it seep into my own art--especially in the eyes I draw).
One of the newer things I've been testing out (in case any of you haven't seen my art gallery) is drawing digitally. I got my tablet back in May, and using one of the art apps automatically downloaded (and the tablet's handy dandy pen) I've been practicing and trying out new ways of drawing. I really love doing it.

Any advice to give? Draw what you love, draw what you want to, and do it over and over again. Try out new things, and new ways of doing things. And even if things start out bad, that's okay--it means there's always room for improvement, and you'll keep going up and up!

Signature by someone, avatar by Neverbelle ~ Come flit by my Userpage! ~ Switch friend code: SW-0846-5678-6094
Old 12-07-2015, 09:30 AM
Tinkering away
View Onionleaf's Photo Album
Onionleaf's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Thanksgiving 2017 Award Halloween 2017 Award Autumn Equinox Award 2017 Pet Training 2017 Award International Friendship Day Award 2017 July the 4th Award 2017 Summer Solstice Award 2017 Pixie Write An Acrostic Poem Award 2017 
Total Awards: 170

My Mood: Flutterish
Onionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond repute
Tinker Talent Water Talent
That's an interesting question, Neverbelle, I'm curious to know what everyone has to say. It's true, we have so many creative pixies here!

I don't think I've been particularly fond of drawing or any sort of art prior to joining this site (now that's a silly thought, isn't it?). It's always worth it to share art and graphics here on PHF as everyone is so supportive. So technically I learnt things here, at least the graphics side of art. I agree, the tutorials here are so useful - I still remember the time when Iris posted up her tutorial, I thought it was amazing!

However, I've always wanted to take lessons, except I don't think they would could go well as I feel pressured if someone is looking at my art while I'm working on it. Art class never went how I wanted it to at school because of that. One of our family friends is an artist and she provides lessons to different people, including those of my age, but I couldn't get myself to join in. I asked my friend what she thought of it, and she said that most of the time they are free to draw what they wish, with occasional hints & tips along the way from the teacher. I always prefer clear, solid instructions so if someone would ask me to draw "whatever I want" during a lesson, I'd probably panic.

I prefer digital art as the undo button is a life-saver and you can have as many layers as you need, and there are lots of different tools at your disposal. But I also wish I could learn how to paint, especially with water-color. I remember I'd used to do fun things with my mum years ago with acrylic, crayons, pastels, etc, but it was never as much as what I've completed since the time I joined PHF. I've also been cross-stitching since I was about 6 or 7 - I'd say that is more like a craft than anything else, but it's much like pixel art when creating your own design.

What inspires me? It might sound a bit selfish, but the smiling faces and kind comments at the end are worth all the time spent on any art. However, I would only draw when inspiration strikes, otherwise it's just not very fun to complete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverbelle
I personally have a lot of trouble with shading. It just doesn't come naturally to me. *wings crossed* I will learn it one day!
You could try doing the opposite by drawing highlights on a dark canvas - I have a friend who does a magnificent job at sketching with a white pencil on black paper, and she says it comes easier to her than shading, isn't that interesting? Maybe the same will be for you. Other than that, it could be worth picking up a how-to-sketch book and practice shading some spheres and cubes. Sure it sounds boring but it helps to get a feel for shading. I believe everyone has to start from square one. You'll be surprised at how much easier the process becomes when you read through a couple of well-written how-to-draw books. The next continuous step is to simply practice, practice, practice. I also find that copying is the best way to learn. Like a picture? Draw it! Have an idea but not quite sure where to start? Find some references! Even professional artists use them, whether it's other art, photos or simply looking at all the sights around you.

@Twilight: I've always had this impression that your graphics were similar to your giftcards. ^^ I think you have a talent for it and it's fantastic that you discovered it.

@Eve: That is so cool that a Tink and Peri sketch influenced your art style. And you have given very sound advice, if you continue practice I can't imagine how much more beautiful your art will become overtime.

Profile pic by Mia L ~ Thank you! ♥ ~ Site Rules ~ Pixie Hollow Wiki
Old 12-08-2015, 05:18 AM
Getting to Know You
View Julie Dazzleshimmer's Photo Album
Julie Dazzleshimmer's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Arcade Champ Arcade Champ Arcade Champ July the 4th Award 2017 First Day of Spring Award 2017 Pixie Get A New Name Award 2017 PHF Winter Award 2016 Arcade Champ 
Total Awards: 137

My Mood: QuiteMad
Julie Dazzleshimmer is on Tink's Buddy ListJulie Dazzleshimmer is on Tink's Buddy ListJulie Dazzleshimmer is on Tink's Buddy ListJulie Dazzleshimmer is on Tink's Buddy ListJulie Dazzleshimmer is on Tink's Buddy ListJulie Dazzleshimmer is on Tink's Buddy List
Garden Talent
I do not think I ever learned to make graphics from a particular place, but I know for sure that I got my inspiration from this place! It all started about a few months after I joined PHF in 2011 after seeing so many talented pixies' graphics.

I am not exactly sure why I wanted to start making graphics - it just caught my eye. Although I liked drawing, I was never good at it, so perhaps I guessed graphic design would be easier for me. I definitely prefer digital art more.

I started out by making avatars and profile pictures in Microsoft Word and PowerPoint. Looking back at some of the things I thought were good, I think I have come a long way! I could not make an image a certain size or do anything fancy in Word or PowerPoint, and my graphics always came out slightly blurry, so I decided to download GIMP. I did not know where to start at all, but my graphics turned out so much better with it! I stopped using GIMP after my computer broke down two years ago, so now I use Pixlr. I believe Pixlr is just like GIMP but with a more user-friendly interface and just a few less options.

My advice to anyone wanting to learn how to draw, paint, or edit is to experiment with everything! You will learn more when you are simply messing around with whatever you are working with. Lastly, of course, never give up. It took me four years to achieve my general method of creating graphics, but I am pleased with where I am now.