PHForums Home PHForums PHForums Gallery PHF Arcade User Control Panel Register! Member List Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search Forums

Go Back   Pixie Hollow - Disney Fairies Online Forums > Barrie's House > Neverland Narrative

Neverland Narrative Join in and never grow up. RPG Forum

Old How do You Keep RP's Going?

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 07-31-2015, 03:09 AM
Camelot will Rise Again
View Alexa Diamondflower's Photo Album
Alexa Diamondflower's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Friendship Award 2019 Fourth of July 2019 July the 4th Award 2017 Summer Solstice Award 2017 Pixie Get Caught Reading Award 2017 Pixie Write An Acrostic Poem Award 2017 Pixie Get A New Name Award 2017 Tooth Fairy Day Award 2017 
Total Awards: 63

My Mood: Chocoholic
Alexa Diamondflower has mastered their Fairy magicAlexa Diamondflower has mastered their Fairy magicAlexa Diamondflower has mastered their Fairy magicAlexa Diamondflower has mastered their Fairy magicAlexa Diamondflower has mastered their Fairy magicAlexa Diamondflower has mastered their Fairy magicAlexa Diamondflower has mastered their Fairy magicAlexa Diamondflower has mastered their Fairy magic
Water Talent
Chat How do You Keep RP's Going?

Hey all! So, I've noticed, mainly on here but also on other places (aka the text RP me and my friend started that only involves me and my friend), that most role-plays don't tend to actually finish. I want to know why that is. I mean, my friend has been in a role-play that's been going on for five years (but she just recently killed off her character, which is sad) and I find that amazing! I don't know how they've been able to keep it going for that long. I started to think about it, and at first I thought that a way to keep an RP going for a while is to not plan ahead. To just let things happen (which I hate because I like figuring out what to do next because if I don't know then there will be WORLD WIDE CHAOS!!!! maybe that's a bit dramatic.... a bit...), but then I asked my friend what she thought about that and she said that planning ahead in an RP isn't always a bad thing. It can be really helpful sometimes. So, I got to thinking again. I then thought to myself

'I can't come up with anything else, so I'm going to ask my friends on PHF'

So, with all that being said, what are your thoughts/theories on this subject? Why do some RP's never get to the end? How can we keep an RP up and running? Do you think, most of the time, it has to do with planning ahead? Or is it something else? Let me know what you think down below (please with sugar on top).

Here's something I haven't said in a while,

See ya 'Round the Waterfall!

P.s. I realize that I say "my friend" a lot, which makes it sound like I only have on friend. I actually don't. It's just the one I mention most of the time on here is the only one of my friends that likes to RP
Old 07-31-2015, 03:16 AM
Is a Founding Fairy
View StormyLightningberry's Photo Album
StormyLightningberry's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Friendship Award 2019 Pet Training 2017 Award Pixie Write An Acrostic Poem Award 2017 First Day of Spring Award 2017  2016 Fairy Feast Award Summer 2016 Award Outfit Designer 2016 Awawrd 
Total Awards: 149

My Mood: Wishful
StormyLightningberry is on Tink's Buddy ListStormyLightningberry is on Tink's Buddy ListStormyLightningberry is on Tink's Buddy ListStormyLightningberry is on Tink's Buddy ListStormyLightningberry is on Tink's Buddy ListStormyLightningberry is on Tink's Buddy ListStormyLightningberry is on Tink's Buddy List
Garden Talent Water Talent Light Talent
This isn't an answer about how to keep them going. Instead it's a guess why they don't finish.

Maybe nobody wants to write the ending because they are not sure if they other RPers are done yet...but when everyone thinks the same way, then nobody writes the ending.

Maybe?

signature by the talented _Stormy_ (I am the other Stormy!)
Old 07-31-2015, 03:53 AM
Getting to Know You
View Julie Dazzleshimmer's Photo Album
Julie Dazzleshimmer's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Arcade Champ Arcade Champ Arcade Champ July the 4th Award 2017 First Day of Spring Award 2017 Pixie Get A New Name Award 2017 PHF Winter Award 2016 Arcade Champ 
Total Awards: 137

My Mood: QuiteMad
Julie Dazzleshimmer is on Tink's Buddy ListJulie Dazzleshimmer is on Tink's Buddy ListJulie Dazzleshimmer is on Tink's Buddy ListJulie Dazzleshimmer is on Tink's Buddy ListJulie Dazzleshimmer is on Tink's Buddy ListJulie Dazzleshimmer is on Tink's Buddy List
Garden Talent
Personally, I have never participated in a RP before, but I guess the only way you can keep one alive is to bump it or post something yourself to keep things running.

I can only thing of more reasons why a RP would not come to an end. Stormy made a good point about a paradox where some RPers are waiting for other RPers to make the next post, but those RPers are also waiting for those RPers to post something. Aside from that, people can run into unexpected Mainland dilemmas, and they are not able to find time to post.

Or people simply lose interest in the RP. It happens to all of us, and there may not be a reason behind the sudden disinterest.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:38 PM
RPs assemble!
View Night Wish's Photo Album
Night Wish's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Create a Contest 2019 Friendship Award 2019 Fourth of July 2019 Halloween Award 2016 2016 Autumn Award Talk Like a Pirate Day 2016 Super Secret Ninja Cowboy Hausfrau 2016 Award Klingon Appreciation Day 2016 
Total Awards: 100

My Mood: Bighug
Night Wish is on Tink's Buddy ListNight Wish is on Tink's Buddy ListNight Wish is on Tink's Buddy ListNight Wish is on Tink's Buddy ListNight Wish is on Tink's Buddy ListNight Wish is on Tink's Buddy ListNight Wish is on Tink's Buddy ListNight Wish is on Tink's Buddy List
Water Talent Garden Talent Light Talent
Hmm... I'm not sure that there's any special trick to making RPs that actually come through to the end.
I definitely agree with everything Stormy and Julie said about why RPs often die out. I'll add in one more reason that's really common - good old writer's block. It's often not that people don't want to finish the roleplay. They simply don't have any more ideas on how to keep it going.

The only thing I can think of for how to keep an RP going is plot. When you first create the RP, you have to maintain a careful balance between too simple and too complicated. The story line has to be structured enough that there is a conflict and a path to follow on how to resolve that conflict. However, it can't be so detailed that everything's already planned out. There has to be enough wiggle room for the other RPers to add their own touches to the story. Other than that... I don't know, just do anything you can to try and keep the ideas flowing, so the interest doesn't die out. Don't be afraid to make things exciting, dramatic, or weird.

Sig made by the amazing Ruby (Book Thing)!

Old 11-01-2015, 09:31 PM
Camelot will Rise Again
View Alexa Diamondflower's Photo Album
Alexa Diamondflower's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Friendship Award 2019 Fourth of July 2019 July the 4th Award 2017 Summer Solstice Award 2017 Pixie Get Caught Reading Award 2017 Pixie Write An Acrostic Poem Award 2017 Pixie Get A New Name Award 2017 Tooth Fairy Day Award 2017 
Total Awards: 63

My Mood: Chocoholic
Alexa Diamondflower has mastered their Fairy magicAlexa Diamondflower has mastered their Fairy magicAlexa Diamondflower has mastered their Fairy magicAlexa Diamondflower has mastered their Fairy magicAlexa Diamondflower has mastered their Fairy magicAlexa Diamondflower has mastered their Fairy magicAlexa Diamondflower has mastered their Fairy magicAlexa Diamondflower has mastered their Fairy magic
Water Talent
Thanks guys! What you all said really helped!