PHForums Home PHForums PHForums Gallery PHF Arcade User Control Panel Register! Member List Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search Forums

Go Back   Pixie Hollow - Disney Fairies Online Forums > Barrie's House > Fairy Bookclub

Fairy Bookclub Discussion forum for Fairy books

Old Book Covers

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 04-27-2015, 02:12 PM
Storytelling-Talent
View Sapphira110's Photo Album
Sapphira110's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Autumn Equinox Award 2017 Talk Like A Pirate Day Award 2017 Scavenger Hunt 2017 Award Pet Training 2017 Award Summer Vacation 2017 Award July the 4th Award 2017 Pixie Get Caught Reading Award 2017 First Day of Spring Award 2017 
Total Awards: 61

My Mood: Mischievous
Sapphira110 is on Tink's Buddy ListSapphira110 is on Tink's Buddy ListSapphira110 is on Tink's Buddy ListSapphira110 is on Tink's Buddy ListSapphira110 is on Tink's Buddy ListSapphira110 is on Tink's Buddy ListSapphira110 is on Tink's Buddy List
Water Talent Light Talent Tinker Talent
Has the World Given Up Reading Books?

If any of you know, I'm trying my best to become a known author. So many times, from various reasons, I thought maybe I should just give up. People constantly tell me that I can't make a living off of it (which is my dream, for as they say "Your work should be something that you love to do".) It's been very difficult to stay on this path, but I continue forward.

I'm making this thread because the other day someone told me a new reason that it's not possible to make a living being an author: "People don't want to read anymore, they want to live their own adventure". Which I think is perfectly fine - and great if they can do it - but what about books?

Books are an easy way to have an adventure, without all the danger. Then there are books that a person couldn't possibly do in this time, like traveling to a new planet of magic and monsters; gong into the past; meeting mythical characters; etc.

I mentioned to this person "What about J. K. Rowling?" (I don't want to become a millionaire or a billionaire, mind you); to where he replied with "Well, she was lucky enough to sell her books at a time when books were popular."
(My mental thinking was that I remember watching a show about Ms. Rowling; that it was actually a very hard road for her to becoming the rich author that she is today.)

So my question is: Do people not like reading books for fun anymore? Has it really come to that? I keep thinking of something I read in Jules Verne's "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea", Captain Nemo says to the main character (can't recall his name) that '...all the stories that are meant to be written have already been put down'.

Thank You for reading (and I mean that on many levels), and please share your thoughts and opinions.
Old 04-27-2015, 05:11 PM
Flitterer
View Stella Icewind's Photo Album
Stella Icewind's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Pixie Resolutions Award Summer 2015 Award May The 4th 2015 Award Apr'15 Coloring Award Guess The Picture Winner's Award Pixie Resolution Award Make A Wish Award Thankful Award 
Total Awards: 21

My Mood: Angelic
Stella Icewind glows with pixie dustStella Icewind glows with pixie dustStella Icewind glows with pixie dustStella Icewind glows with pixie dustStella Icewind glows with pixie dustStella Icewind glows with pixie dust
Light Talent Garden Talent Water Talent
Hello Sapphira .
I find this thread so much interesting, and surely that i'm gonna share my opinion about books. In my opinion no matter what books will never be old, not only for me but for all those who want to live a dream and create their own unique & different world where imagination has no limit. Personally i like reading a lot and this year i was really inspired i have read many interesting books which are in my favorite list and i cant get enough i want more and more Books are great. I totally agree with you when you say that ''Books are an easy way to have an adventure, without all the danger.''
And i'm sure that people will never give up reading books.
Thank you <3

~Stella
Old 04-27-2015, 06:58 PM
Here and there
View Rainbowswirls's Photo Album
Rainbowswirls's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Arcade Champ Arcade Champ Halloween Award 2016 Arcade Champ Arcade Champ Earth Day 2016 Award End of the Rainbow Award Spring 2016 Award 
Total Awards: 42

My Mood: Thinking
Rainbowswirls met the QueenRainbowswirls met the QueenRainbowswirls met the QueenRainbowswirls met the QueenRainbowswirls met the QueenRainbowswirls met the Queen
Garden Talent Water Talent Tinker Talent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphira110 View Post
Books are an easy way to have an adventure, without all the danger.
I agree that books are great, Stella and Sapphira! I really like reading and literature. When I get to an exciting part in a book, I seem to never want to stop reading it! Also some parts just make you wonder what happens next. I agree with you, Stella, the quote above is very realistic.

Why does the quote not appear in a quote box?

Last edited by Mommy 2 Jules; 04-27-2015 at 10:09 PM. Reason: fixed quote for you
Old 04-27-2015, 10:10 PM
in a blink
View Neverbelle's Photo Album
Neverbelle's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Thankful for 2019 Create a Contest 2019 Friendship Award 2019 Fourth of July 2019 Arcade Champ Arcade Champ Scavenger Hunt 2017 Award July the 4th Award 2017 
Total Awards: 120

My Mood: fairyish
Neverbelle has mastered their Fairy magicNeverbelle has mastered their Fairy magicNeverbelle has mastered their Fairy magicNeverbelle has mastered their Fairy magicNeverbelle has mastered their Fairy magicNeverbelle has mastered their Fairy magicNeverbelle has mastered their Fairy magicNeverbelle has mastered their Fairy magicNeverbelle has mastered their Fairy magicNeverbelle has mastered their Fairy magic
If your dream is to become an author, then go for it. Don't let anyone make a decision about your life for you. Be true to your heart.

As for your question.. I don't think reading is anymore unpopular now than it was at any other time. I mean, maybe more people are interested in reading e-books on their iPads than actually holding a physical book in their hands, but I don't think that makes so much of a difference. I personally will always like reading physical books better!

P.S. Rainbowswirls, you were just missing one of the ['s in the tag. [ quote = ] [/ quote]
Old 04-27-2015, 10:20 PM
is a proud water pixie!
View Twilight's Photo Album
Twilight's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Fourth of July 2019 Thanksgiving 2017 Award Halloween 2017 Award Autumn Equinox Award 2017 Scavenger Hunt 2017 Award Pet Training 2017 Award International Friendship Day Award 2017 Summer Vacation 2017 Award 
Total Awards: 221

My Mood: Pixieish
Twilight is a Fairy beyond reputeTwilight is a Fairy beyond reputeTwilight is a Fairy beyond reputeTwilight is a Fairy beyond reputeTwilight is a Fairy beyond reputeTwilight is a Fairy beyond reputeTwilight is a Fairy beyond reputeTwilight is a Fairy beyond reputeTwilight is a Fairy beyond reputeTwilight is a Fairy beyond reputeTwilight is a Fairy beyond repute
Water Talent Tinker Talent Light Talent
I love reading books, I prefer a real book to my kindle even.
I seem to always have at least one book from my local library by my
bedside. There is nothing like reading, a book can transport you anyway, anytime.

So do not listen to anyone if your dream is to become an author,
than I say go for it. What would the world be like without dreams and
those you follow them.

~Twi
Old 04-28-2015, 01:02 AM
I miss PH & PHF
View Primrosesweet's Photo Album
Primrosesweet's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Arcade Champ Autumn Equinox Award 2017 Pixie Get Caught Reading Award 2017 Pixie Write An Acrostic Poem Award 2017 Pixie Create A New Holiday Award 2017 Pixie Get A New Name Award 2017 Valentine's Day Award 2017  
Total Awards: 73

My Mood: Quiet
Primrosesweet met the QueenPrimrosesweet met the QueenPrimrosesweet met the QueenPrimrosesweet met the QueenPrimrosesweet met the QueenPrimrosesweet met the Queen
Water Talent Garden Talent Light Talent
Jane Austen wrote novels even though at that point in time I do not think they were generally accepted as a good pastime, yet her books have become classics. You might not be able to make a complete living off of writing books, but that hardly means you shouldn't write. If Walt Disney had given up on cartoons just because of repeated failure and no one willing to hire him, then... there would have been no Disney. (Can you imagine life without Disney?)
And people still do read books for fun and educational purposes. Myself included, even though right now it has mainly been school related reading. xD
Old 04-28-2015, 01:37 AM
Our fairies are in our ♥s
View PixieHollowForever's Photo Album
PixieHollowForever's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Friendship Award 2019 Arcade Champ Talk Like A Pirate Day Award 2017 Pixie Get Caught Reading Award 2017 Pixie Get A New Name Award 2017 Pixie Resolutions Award 2017 2016 Holiday Traditions Contest PHF Winter Award 2016 
Total Awards: 37

PixieHollowForever is on Tink's Buddy ListPixieHollowForever is on Tink's Buddy ListPixieHollowForever is on Tink's Buddy ListPixieHollowForever is on Tink's Buddy ListPixieHollowForever is on Tink's Buddy ListPixieHollowForever is on Tink's Buddy List
Animal Talent Water Talent Light Talent
I don't know about the world, but I am a total bookworm. I think the people who are telling you negative things about books are probably the people who hate books, or they could just be trying to make you feel bad. Don't listen to them.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:21 AM
Is in my comfy place
View Blaze_of_Glory's Photo Album
Blaze_of_Glory's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Friendship Award 2019 Fourth of July 2019 Arcade Champ Arcade Champ Arcade Champ Halloween 2017 Award Scavenger Hunt 2017 Award Arcade Champ 
Total Awards: 87

My Mood: Reading
Blaze_of_Glory glows with pixie dustBlaze_of_Glory glows with pixie dustBlaze_of_Glory glows with pixie dustBlaze_of_Glory glows with pixie dustBlaze_of_Glory glows with pixie dustBlaze_of_Glory glows with pixie dust
Water Talent Light Talent Animal Talent
I certainly can't speak for the world, but I personally would never give up on books. I agree with everything that's been said on this thread. Reading is an adventure, and there is no reason why you can't go on all sorts of those in real life, yet still enjoy the ones you find in books.
If being an author is what you really want, Sapphira, I say go for it, and best of luck.

Thank you Stormy and Alyce!
Old 04-28-2015, 01:44 PM
Visit the DOW wiki at www.disneysonlineworlds.com!
View Mommy 2 Jules's Photo Album
Mommy 2 Jules's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Fairy Friends To The End Award Extra Life 2014 Award Friendship Award 2019 Thanksgiving 2017 Award Halloween 2017 Award Autumn Equinox Award 2017 Talk Like A Pirate Day Award 2017 Scavenger Hunt 2017 Award 
Total Awards: 188

My Mood: DowObsessed
Mommy 2 Jules is a Fairy beyond reputeMommy 2 Jules is a Fairy beyond reputeMommy 2 Jules is a Fairy beyond reputeMommy 2 Jules is a Fairy beyond reputeMommy 2 Jules is a Fairy beyond reputeMommy 2 Jules is a Fairy beyond reputeMommy 2 Jules is a Fairy beyond reputeMommy 2 Jules is a Fairy beyond reputeMommy 2 Jules is a Fairy beyond reputeMommy 2 Jules is a Fairy beyond reputeMommy 2 Jules is a Fairy beyond repute
Animal Talent Water Talent Tinker Talent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphira110 View Post

... to where he replied with "Well, she was lucky enough to sell her books at a time when books were popular."
I'm not so sure that there has ever been a time when books were unpopular. Of course you will have some individuals that just do not like to read, and that is perfectly fine. My husband loves to read the newspaper everyday, but will not pick up a book to save him. LOL I think that your friend is just one of those that doesn't prefer to spend his down time reading. With the major boom of e-books and apps available for individuals to bring their reading material on-the-go, I believe books will always be loved. Now, speaking of those newspapers that my husband reads ... now THAT industry is sinking fast. With everything being online now, most people get the news that they want electronically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight View Post
I love reading books, I prefer a real book to my kindle even.
I absolutely agree with you, Twi. While I do have and use my Kindle often, I prefer to actually hold a book in hand, turning the pages with anticipation of what is to come.

~ Em

Thank you, Coconut Tulippetal for the lovely profile pic and siggy! | Site Rules | The DOW Wiki | Mods & Admins | PM Me
Old 04-28-2015, 02:30 PM
Storytelling-Talent
Sapphira110's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Autumn Equinox Award 2017 Talk Like A Pirate Day Award 2017 Scavenger Hunt 2017 Award Pet Training 2017 Award Summer Vacation 2017 Award July the 4th Award 2017 Pixie Get Caught Reading Award 2017 First Day of Spring Award 2017 

Sapphira110 is on Tink's Buddy ListSapphira110 is on Tink's Buddy ListSapphira110 is on Tink's Buddy ListSapphira110 is on Tink's Buddy ListSapphira110 is on Tink's Buddy ListSapphira110 is on Tink's Buddy ListSapphira110 is on Tink's Buddy List
Thank you for all the replies (keep them coming.)

I know I shouldn't take Mr. Negative's words as seriously as I did; but sometimes he can be really nice - making me lose my guard - and then the next moment he brings me down with his negative attitude. It's actually true that he doesn't read a lot, he's told me on a many different occasions - he'd rather play computer games than read; that was one of his examples for people wanting to live their own adventures: by playing MMORPG games. I like to play such games, too; in fact, I'm been playing one way too often lately. And yet, I also love to read; I just finished a book last night.

I'm glad to know it's just his opinion about books, and not the rest of us. It really scared me, knowing how the world is going with technology, that maybe people really weren't interested in reading books for fun anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze_of_Glory
Reading is an adventure, and there is no reason why you can't go on all sorts of those in real life, yet still enjoy the ones you find in books.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Icewind
In my opinion no matter what books will never be old, not only for me but for all those who want to live a dream and create their own unique & different world where imagination has no limit.
I totally agree! I go on an adventure every time I sit down to write my books, and the negative remarks makes me want to write my stories better so they are worth reading.

At the moment I feel like maybe I'm being a brat for insisting on wanting writing books to be my career; with people telling me I should live in the 'real world' and not my 'fantasy world'. So I'm trying to live in both worlds, earning enough money to promote my books. Must Stay Positive.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:23 PM
•༺💕༻•Just Believe•༺💕༻•
View _Stormy_'s Photo Album
_Stormy_'s Fairy
Awards Showcase
Halloween Award 2016 2016 Autumn Award Talk Like a Pirate Day 2016 Super Secret Ninja Cowboy Hausfrau 2016 Award Klingon Appreciation Day 2016 Patriot Pixie's 2016 Award Summer 2016 Award May the Fourth 2016 Award 
Total Awards: 113

My Mood: Gaming
_Stormy_ has mastered their Fairy magic_Stormy_ has mastered their Fairy magic_Stormy_ has mastered their Fairy magic_Stormy_ has mastered their Fairy magic_Stormy_ has mastered their Fairy magic_Stormy_ has mastered their Fairy magic_Stormy_ has mastered their Fairy magic_Stormy_ has mastered their Fairy magic_Stormy_ has mastered their Fairy magic_Stormy_ has mastered their Fairy magic
Animal Talent Animal Talent Tinker Talent
Heart Bookworms Unite!

I still read actual books, and I have stacks of them! I also prefer a real book in my hand than an e-book. I like the experience of a tangible book; turning the pages and the smell (especially of older books!) and just snuggling up with a book. There's a certain something you can't get from technology that's in a physical book. If you want to be an author than I say go for it! Don't let anyone's negativity make you give up on your dream!

Books are a uniquely portable magic
Old 04-29-2015, 11:06 PM
Busy with Pets or Books
View AutumnNeversprite's Photo Album
AutumnNeversprite's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Autumn Equinox Award 2017 Autumn 2015 Award St. Partrick's Day Award 2015 Pixie Resolutions Award Thankful For Award Autumn 2014 Award 2014 Summer Award Patriotic Fairy's 2014 Award 
Total Awards: 19

My Mood: Artistic
AutumnNeversprite is a Fast FlyerAutumnNeversprite is a Fast FlyerAutumnNeversprite is a Fast Flyer
Animal Talent Water Talent Water Talent
I think you should keep trying it's just a matter of finding out really what people want to read more than anything. Plus you got to have a hooking start, gripping plots and hopefully not too many cliffhangers.
Besides the biggest thing about writing is WHO you are writing for I mean kids have to read for school so if anything try writing for younger people. (IF your not doing so now.)
Also try checking sites out where you can post some of your work i'm not saying fully blown stories just like some sample work that way you can meet other writers and maybe get an idea of what people are wanting to see.
BUT always make sure to write stuff for yourself sometimes it helps to put your work aside and do a little something for you every now and then.
I love to read i honestly have more books then i have space for really.
Old 04-30-2015, 01:24 PM
Storytelling-Talent
Sapphira110's Fairy
Awards Showcase

I'm a bit of a selfish writer, actually. The whole reason I chose to become one is that I was inspired to share my own stories. I've been writing since I was nine years old and my Mom thought that I would probably choose that as my career, but I told her "No way, I only write for myself, I don't want others to see it". Years went by and I suddenly wanted to share all those stories in my head. My thinking is that: It's not fair that I can't write the story that I want to write just because people supposedly don't want to read it. How does anyone know until it's been tried?

One book I wrote was because I wanted to do my own version of Studio Ghibli's "Castle in the Sky", I really wanted the main characters to explore the floating island, but not a lot of that was done. They showed scenes of the place, but then it was all about stopping some mad man from using the castle in the sky as a war weapon. So my book has my own characters exploring different areas in my own city in the sky.

I do write for the young, and they are all fantasy stories, which I hear is pretty popular. Plus I mainly read books for kids, so I know what is what.
Old 04-30-2015, 02:54 PM
Administrator
View Lori's Photo Album
Lori's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Thankful for 2019 Friendship Award 2019 Fourth of July 2019 Thanksgiving 2017 Award Halloween 2017 Award Autumn Equinox Award 2017 International Friendship Day Award 2017 July the 4th Award 2017 
Total Awards: 50

Lori has made Fairy Mary's A listLori has made Fairy Mary's A listLori has made Fairy Mary's A listLori has made Fairy Mary's A listLori has made Fairy Mary's A list
Don't get discouraged! Chase your dreams!

I'm currently trying to have a career in editing. It's been so much harder to get started in this career than I ever thought it would be, however, it's worth it to me since it's what I want to do.

I have a Master's Degree in writing and had many wonderful writers as classmates. I have seen my former classmates publish articles, short stories, novels, etc. However, they also have other jobs to earn money. Many of these jobs are related to writing though - teaching writing, working for magazines, working for publishing companies, etc. If you want to be a writer, you can achieve this dream as long as you are willing to work for it!
Old 05-16-2015, 05:35 PM
Twurtless ._.
View fairybacon's Photo Album
fairybacon's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Arcade Champ Patriotic Fairy's 2015 Award Guess Who Winner Award Summer 2015 Award Pixie Hollow Parody Award Apr'15 Coloring Award St. Partrick's Day Award 2015 Happy Valentine's Day 2015 
Total Awards: 52

My Mood: Goofyy
fairybacon is a Fast Flyerfairybacon is a Fast Flyerfairybacon is a Fast Flyerfairybacon is a Fast Flyer
Tinker Talent Water Talent Garden Talent
my opinion on books is that books are absolutely wonderful. Even though the world seemed to have gone fully engulfed with technology i still read very often. Lol i actually finished 2 big chapter books in a week. i, however dont really read actual published books. I read books that people have written and shared on a website called " Quotev " . Honestly i dont think you should give up on being an author. there are still people in the world that will pick up and read!