PHForums Home PHForums PHForums Gallery PHF Arcade User Control Panel Register! Member List Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search Forums

Go Back   Pixie Hollow - Disney Fairies Online Forums > Other > Arts, Creativity, Sigs, & Avatars > Paint By Numbers

Paint By Numbers Post your tutorial and how-to guides here for the art community!

Old Gimp Help! [Merged]

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 07-24-2012, 04:44 PM
BK
View Lilac Rosewillow's Photo Album
Lilac Rosewillow's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Patriot Pixie's 2012 Award Riddle Participant's Award Summer 2012 Award 
Total Awards: 3

Lilac Rosewillow has disabled reputation
Well I'm kind of piecing together this whole GIMP madness but is anyone a GIMP master? PM me please! Thanks in advance!
xoxo
-Lilac Rosewillow
Old 07-24-2012, 05:24 PM
Getting to Know You
View Julie Dazzleshimmer's Photo Album
Julie Dazzleshimmer's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Arcade Champ Arcade Champ Arcade Champ July the 4th Award 2017 First Day of Spring Award 2017 Pixie Get A New Name Award 2017 PHF Winter Award 2016 Arcade Champ 
Total Awards: 137

My Mood: QuiteMad
Julie Dazzleshimmer is on Tink's Buddy ListJulie Dazzleshimmer is on Tink's Buddy ListJulie Dazzleshimmer is on Tink's Buddy ListJulie Dazzleshimmer is on Tink's Buddy ListJulie Dazzleshimmer is on Tink's Buddy ListJulie Dazzleshimmer is on Tink's Buddy List
Garden Talent
I just downloaded Gimp and so far I'm liking it! I love how we can make our own brushes on there, I made a sparkle one! Yay sparkles!
Old 08-05-2012, 10:37 PM
hi!
View RosesOfScarlet's Photo Album
RosesOfScarlet's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Winter 2015 Award 2013 Thanksgiving Award Halloween 2013 Award Autumn 2013 Award Fairy Friends To The End Award Scavenger Hunt Winner's Award Super Secret Ninja Cowboy Hausfrau 2013 Award International Literacy Day 2013 Award 
Total Awards: 41

My Mood: Happy
RosesOfScarlet glows with pixie dustRosesOfScarlet glows with pixie dustRosesOfScarlet glows with pixie dustRosesOfScarlet glows with pixie dustRosesOfScarlet glows with pixie dustRosesOfScarlet glows with pixie dust
Garden Talent Garden Talent Tinker Talent
Gimp

Hi everyone! So I have a question about GIMP.

I've been wanting to make myself profile pictures and avatars and stuff like that for a while now. I want to put my fairy in a picture but with a different background. I don't know if you can do that with GIMP, though. I want to download it but I'm also not sure if it will mess up my computer or change things. If anyone can answer me, I would be SO grateful! Thanks!
Old 08-05-2012, 11:42 PM
Getting to Know You
View Julie Dazzleshimmer's Photo Album
Julie Dazzleshimmer's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Arcade Champ Arcade Champ Arcade Champ July the 4th Award 2017 First Day of Spring Award 2017 Pixie Get A New Name Award 2017 PHF Winter Award 2016 Arcade Champ 
Total Awards: 137

My Mood: QuiteMad
Julie Dazzleshimmer is on Tink's Buddy ListJulie Dazzleshimmer is on Tink's Buddy ListJulie Dazzleshimmer is on Tink's Buddy ListJulie Dazzleshimmer is on Tink's Buddy ListJulie Dazzleshimmer is on Tink's Buddy ListJulie Dazzleshimmer is on Tink's Buddy List
Garden Talent
I definitely recommend GIMP! It doesn't mess up your computer at all, it's 100% safe. It can do everything you listed too! It takes awhile to get used to though.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:57 PM
☼♦Shine bright♦☼
View Iceglow's Photo Album
Iceglow's Fairy
Awards Showcase
St. Partrick's Day Award 2014 Pixie Resolution 2014 Award Halloween 2013 Award Fairy Friends To The End Award Super Secret Ninja Cowboy Hausfrau 2013 Award J.M. Barrie Day 2013 Award 2013 Happy Valentine's Day Award Guess The Picture Winner's Award 
Total Awards: 28

My Mood: Snow!
Iceglow is a talented FairyIceglow is a talented Fairy
Light Talent Light Talent Light Talent
But then again isnt there a virius GIMP?
Old 08-06-2012, 01:32 AM
Is a Pixie
View bayberry bubbleweather's Photo Album
bayberry bubbleweather's Fairy
Awards Showcase
May The 4th Be With You 2014 Award Happy Holidays'09 Award National Cookie Day 2013 Award Halloween 2013 Award Autumn 2013 Award Fairy Friends To The End Award Super Secret Ninja Cowboy Hausfrau 2013 Award International Literacy Day 2013 Award 
Total Awards: 37

My Mood: Sleepyy
bayberry bubbleweather met the Queenbayberry bubbleweather met the Queenbayberry bubbleweather met the Queenbayberry bubbleweather met the Queenbayberry bubbleweather met the Queenbayberry bubbleweather met the Queen
Water Talent
i can safetly say that gimp is completely safe ( as long as you download it from the gimp site, it has org in the end just search it on google) and yes that is possible. You will need to paste your fairy and make another layer with the background you need. The background layer needs to be behind the fairy layer. Then click the fairy and take the eraser tool and start erasing the white background of the fairy ( if you are using the picture from the adobe printer thing) and the background you want will start showing you can also use a tool but i don't remember the name of it. There is also a guide here that shows how to make the wings lighten using opacity and i am sure there is for adding a background behind the fairy. Iris's is one that comes to mind and you should be able to copy its steps to gimp. ( i think the magic want is called something else there)

and virius, like i said as long as you download from the correct site you will not get any. There might be a video showing how to download it and such ( not sure)

hope it helped a little and sorry for it being so long xD
Old 08-06-2012, 02:17 AM
hi!
RosesOfScarlet's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Winter 2015 Award 2013 Thanksgiving Award Halloween 2013 Award Autumn 2013 Award Fairy Friends To The End Award Scavenger Hunt Winner's Award Super Secret Ninja Cowboy Hausfrau 2013 Award International Literacy Day 2013 Award 

RosesOfScarlet glows with pixie dustRosesOfScarlet glows with pixie dustRosesOfScarlet glows with pixie dustRosesOfScarlet glows with pixie dustRosesOfScarlet glows with pixie dustRosesOfScarlet glows with pixie dust
Thank you all! I really appreciate it!

But, I want to know something else too! Does it change ANYTHING on your computer? LIke make it slow or change your browser or your home page? Because when I downloaded PDFlite, it did that.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:01 AM
Summer's end, fall begin
View Julie Roseblossom's Photo Album
Julie Roseblossom's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Fairy Friends To The End Award Patriotic Fairy's 2013 Award International Fairy Day Award 2013 Summer 2013 Award J.M. Barrie Day 2013 Award May The 4th Be With You 2013 Award Spring 2013 Award St. Patrick Day 2013 Award 
Total Awards: 54

My Mood: Artistic
Julie Roseblossom has made Fairy Mary's A listJulie Roseblossom has made Fairy Mary's A listJulie Roseblossom has made Fairy Mary's A listJulie Roseblossom has made Fairy Mary's A listJulie Roseblossom has made Fairy Mary's A list
Water Talent Garden Talent Animal Talent
Make the computer slow? Maybe a little tiny bit, but only when it's being used. It is a high graphics program once you start making bigger projects. Change stuff on your computer? No.

Enjoy GIMP - I use it for everything, it's a wonderful program.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:41 AM
hi!
RosesOfScarlet's Fairy
Awards Showcase

Thank you Julie! I really appreciate it you all!
Old 08-07-2012, 04:49 PM
Graphic + Wishing fairy!
View Gloria Rosepetal's Photo Album
Gloria Rosepetal's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Pixie Resolution 2014 Award Spring 2013 Award Guess The Picture Winner's Award Pixie Resolution Award Winter 2012 Solstice Award Make A Wish Award Thankful Award Happy Holidays'12 Award 
Total Awards: 17

My Mood: Purrfect
Gloria Rosepetal is a wiz at Fairy TagGloria Rosepetal is a wiz at Fairy Tag
Garden Talent Light Talent Tinker Talent
Confused Gimp

Well....I've been reading everyone's comments. I just want to know how to use different syles in text. I know how to but I'm sure that there are more settings than that. Can you say how to do it?
Old 08-08-2012, 02:03 AM
Tinkering away
View Onionleaf's Photo Album
Onionleaf's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Thanksgiving 2017 Award Halloween 2017 Award Autumn Equinox Award 2017 Pet Training 2017 Award International Friendship Day Award 2017 July the 4th Award 2017 Summer Solstice Award 2017 Pixie Write An Acrostic Poem Award 2017 
Total Awards: 170

My Mood: Flutterish
Onionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond reputeOnionleaf is a Fairy beyond repute
Tinker Talent Water Talent
I'm not quite sure on what you mean by "different styles", Fantasia.. If you mean using different fonts, you can click on the "Aa" square box, and choose from the list of fonts you may use. There is no option for bolding, italicising or underlining your words, so you have to use other tools to get the same effect.

To bold your text, you need to select your text layer, right-click it and select "Alpha to Selection". Then go to Select > Grow..., choose how much you want to increase it by, then click OK. Make a new layer underneath the text layer, and fill in the selection with either the same color as the text or a different one for a cooler effect. It can come out rather grainy if the text is small though, so it doesn't always work. To italicise, you can use the Shear tool on the text layer, and you can slant the text to one side.

If you'd like to use a cool font that you have downloaded online, simply install it onto your computer and it will automatically be added to the font list on GIMP. I am sure that the settings differ between each type of computer system, but on my Windows 7, I go to Start > Control Panel, then search up the word "font", and click on the menu, then drag my new font file onto the list of installed fonts. It will automatically install the font for you.

There is also a button at the bottom of the Font menu (on GIMP) that is called "Text Along Path". It allows you to make your text follow a different shape, such as a curve or a circle. It will take me a while to explain though, as I only found this option just a moment ago (lol!), so I'm still figuring it out myself.

Hopefully this has answered your question Fantasia. If not, well then I'll have to try again next time. ^^

Profile pic by Mia L ~ Thank you! ♥ ~ Site Rules ~ Pixie Hollow Wiki
Old 08-28-2012, 09:35 PM
Is Back For a Few Days :)
View vetcat1234's Photo Album
vetcat1234's Fairy
Awards Showcase
St. Patrick Day 2016 Award Fairy Friends To The End Award Patriotic Fairy's 2013 Award International Fairy Day Award 2013 Summer 2013 Award J.M. Barrie Day 2013 Award May The 4th Be With You 2013 Award Graphic Trio Award 
Total Awards: 60

My Mood: Sugar-Rush
vetcat1234 is on Tink's Buddy Listvetcat1234 is on Tink's Buddy Listvetcat1234 is on Tink's Buddy Listvetcat1234 is on Tink's Buddy Listvetcat1234 is on Tink's Buddy Listvetcat1234 is on Tink's Buddy Listvetcat1234 is on Tink's Buddy List
Water Talent Water Talent Garden Talent
GIMP help!

Hi, everyone! So, I've been trying to make my own 3D fairy. However, I'm stuck right now. I don't know how to crop something(in GIMP). By cropping, I mean like choosing exactly where you want to crop, not just a box like in the crop tool. Do you use the Scissors tool? If so, how do you do it? Thanks for the help!

~Cat

Sarah Ajay Oak
Credits: Avatar: Twilight Signature: Jenny. Thanks!
Old 08-28-2012, 09:42 PM
The Quenchiest
View CactusJuicy's Photo Album
CactusJuicy's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Autumn 2013 Award Fairy Friends To The End Award Super Secret Ninja Cowboy Hausfrau 2013 Award International Literacy Day 2013 Award Patriotic Fairy's 2013 Award Summer 2013 Award Crossword Puzzle Winner's Award May The 4th Be With You 2013 Award 
Total Awards: 31

My Mood: Asleep
CactusJuicy met the QueenCactusJuicy met the QueenCactusJuicy met the QueenCactusJuicy met the QueenCactusJuicy met the Queen
Water Talent Garden Talent Light Talent
I am sorry I'm not very familiar faith GIMP, but I think like most programs it would have a lasso tool? That might take a while to precisely delete everything want gone, but if there is a 'magic wand' kind of tool it will select everything that is one color - for example a white background. Sorry for not being much help.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:46 PM
Miss you all <3
View Julie Sunripple's Photo Album
Julie Sunripple's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Winter 2015 Award Halloween 2015 Award Autumn 2015 Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2015 Award Super Secret Ninja Cowboy Hausfrau 2015 Award Klingon Appreciation Day 2015 Award Summer 2015 Award May The 4th 2015 Award 
Total Awards: 65

My Mood: fairyish
Julie Sunripple is on Tink's Buddy ListJulie Sunripple is on Tink's Buddy ListJulie Sunripple is on Tink's Buddy ListJulie Sunripple is on Tink's Buddy ListJulie Sunripple is on Tink's Buddy ListJulie Sunripple is on Tink's Buddy ListJulie Sunripple is on Tink's Buddy List
Light Talent Tinker Talent Water Talent
I use the Free Select Tool, which looks like a lasso and is the third button in the toolbar. Hope this helps.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:57 PM
hi!
RosesOfScarlet's Fairy
Awards Showcase

How to use GIMP?

Hi everyone! I jst downloaded ''GIMP'' and I have no clue how it works. If anyone who is an ''expert'' at GIMP, can you help me please?