PHForums Home PHForums PHForums Gallery PHF Arcade User Control Panel Register! Member List Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search Forums

Go Back   Pixie Hollow - Disney Fairies Online Forums > Other > Arts, Creativity, Sigs, & Avatars > Paint By Numbers

Paint By Numbers Post your tutorial and how-to guides here for the art community!

Old Helpful Graphic Tutorials (Last Updated: 12-14-08)

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 12-14-2008, 05:16 PM
Slamina from VMK
View Dawn Peppertree's Photo Album
Dawn Peppertree's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Fairy Friends To The End Award Guess The Picture Winner's Award Happy Holidays'12 Award Thankful Award PHF's Oct'12 Design A Costume Participant's Award Spring 2012 Award St. Patrick's Day 2012 Award Leap Year Award 2012 
Total Awards: 17

My Mood: fairyish
Dawn Peppertree met the QueenDawn Peppertree met the QueenDawn Peppertree met the QueenDawn Peppertree met the QueenDawn Peppertree met the QueenDawn Peppertree met the Queen
Animal Talent Garden Talent Tinker Talent
Helpful Graphic Tutorials (Last Updated: 12-14-08)

These tutorials are for GIMP but are compatible with other graphic software/programs such as Photoshop. If you get stuck on any part, please let me know! I'll help you to the best of my ability. Also, I do not care for credit on any of these tutorials, BUT I would love to see your results!

Disclaimer: Please know that some parts of some tutorials will be similar to tutorials that you can find elsewhere. I add my own twists and alter them to my liking, which is something that I recommend for all who try out these tutorials. While I do not claim full credit for these tutorials, some of the steps originated with me.

Let's Get Started!

Tutorial 1
Sprite Rendering and Effects

Result:

You will need a Sprite for this tutorial. You can find them at any sprite supporting site. If you need help finding a Sprite, private message me and I'll try to get a link approved by a moderator where you can find some.

Step 1:
Create a new image. The size does not matter, although I'd suggest anything in between 500x150 and 300x100. For this tutorial, I'll use a popular size, 360x100. After you've OKed it, select the Blend Tool. Change the Foreground color to something that will compliment your Sprite and Background color to black (000000). Then do a linear gradient across your image, and it should look something like this:

Step 2:
Paste in your sprite anywhere on the image. Duplicate that layer 4 times (Layer >>> Duplicate Layer). Hide all of the duplicated layers (Dialogs >>> Layers >>> Click the "Eyes" next to the layers). On the original Sprite layer, smudge it around with a small brush. Afterwards, go to Filters >>> Noise >>> Pick...and make sure Repeat and Random are at 100. Here is how mine turned out:

Step 3:
Unhide the Sprite Layer above that and go to Filters >>> Distorts >>> Ripple... and OK it. Set the layer mode to Dodge at a 50% opacity level. Unhide the Sprite Layer above that and repeat the Ripple action, except make sure that the Orientation in the Ripple effect is set as Vertical. Change the layer mode to Dodge at 25%. It should look something like this:

Step 4:
Unhide the Sprite layer above that. Copy and paste the sprite within that layer in different locations of the image twice.

After that, go to Filters >>> Distorts >>> IWarp. Here is where the fun starts! In the top left corner where you see a preview of your graphic, use your mouse to drag around the image. Feel free to go crazy. Get as crazy as possible, it's critical to the quality of your finished product. Please remember that later in this tutorial when you are asked to open IWarp again. Play around with the different settings on the right side of the IWarp toolbox. When you are satisfied OK it. Here is how mine turned out:

Erase, with a soft brush, anything that you do not like. Set the layer mode to Screen at 40%.

Step 5:
Unhide the last Sprite Layer. Rename this layer to "Copy" by going to the Layer Dialogs Box (Dialogs >>> Layers), right clicking the layer, and clicking Edit Layer Attributes.You can slightly adjust the location of this Sprite. If you choose to do so, when you are satisfied with the location, go to Layer >>> Layer to Image Size.

Step 6:
In the Layer Dialog Box (Dialogs >>> Layers), scroll all the way down and click the Background Layer (the layer at the very bottom). Go to Layer >>> New Layer >>> Name the layer "Sparks," >>> Click OK. Brush around the layer with the Sparks brush. The more sparks the better. Hide that layer when you are done. In the Layer Dialog Box, scroll all the way up and click on the layer at the very top. Go to Layer >>> New Layer. Go to Edit >>> Copy Visible >>> Paste. If necessary go to Layer >>> Anchor Layer. Go to Filters >>> Map >>> Displace. When the Displace toolbox appears, for X and Y make sure that they are both connected to the Sparks layer you just created. Make sure that "Smear" is selected. OK it, and erase anything that you do not want. Set the layer mode to Screen at 87%. Here is how mine turned out:

Step 7:
Go to Layer >>> New Layer. Go to Edit >>> Copy Visible >>> Edit >>> Paste. If necessary go to Layer >>> Anchor Layer. Redo the Displace Filter again, only setting the layer mode to Screen at 50%. If your graphic gets too bright, go to Layer >>> New Layer, then go to Edit >>> Copy Visible >>> Edit >>> Paste, if necessary go to Layer >>> Anchor Layer, and adjust your brightness contrast by going to Colors >>> Brightness-Contrast... When you are satisfied, OK it and set the layer mode to Darken Only at 50%.

Step 8:
Go to Layer >>> New Layer. Copy the Sprite in the layer you named "Copy," and paste it within this layer. Set the layer mode to Multiply at 30%. Go to Layer >>> New layer. Go to Edit >>> Copy Visible >>> Edit >>> Paste. If necessary go to >>> Layer >>> Anchor Layer. Change the foreground color in the toolbox to anything that you want (I chose red), and change the background color to black (000000). Do a Gradient Map by going to Colors >>> Map >>> Gradient Map. Set the Layer Mode to Hue at 50%. Go to Layer >>> New Layer. Go to Edit >>> Copy Visible >>> Edit >>> Paste. If necessary go to >>> Layer >>> Anchor Layer. Set your foreground and background colors to white (FFFFFF) and black (000000), and do another gradient map. Set the Layer Mode to Color at 50%. Here is how mine turned out:

Step 9:
Go to Layer >>> New Layer. Select the Ellipse Select Tool. Make a circle around the Sprite, and fill it with the main color of your graphic. Go to Select >>> None, if necessary. Go to Filters >>> Blur >>> Motion Blur. Set the Length to 200, and edit the angle to your liking. OK it, and erase anything that you don't want. Set the Layer Mode to Screen at 30%. Here is how mine turned out:

Step 10:
Go to Layer >>> New Layer. Copy the layer you named "Copy," and Paste it in the new layer. Set the Layer Mode to Lighten Only at 80%.

Step 11:
Go to Layer >>> New Layer. Go to Edit >>> Copy Visible >>> Edit >>> Paste. If necessary go to Layer >>> Anchor Layer. Go to Filters >>> Artistic >>> GIMPressionist. Make sure "Canvas" is selected and Click Apply. Switch to the Brush Tab and make sure wavy.pgm is selected. OK it and set the Layer Mode to Lighten Only at 20%. Here is how mine turned out:

Step 12:
Go to Layer >>> New Layer. Go to Edit >>> Copy Visible >>> Edit >>> Paste. Change the foreground color in the tool box to a light color of your choosing (I chose light blue), and change the background color to black. Do another Gradient Map and set the layer mode to Soft Light at 50%. Here is how mine turned out:

It's blurry because I added blur effects, which is not required. I soon deleted the blur effects towards the end as I realized it's not what I wanted.

Step 13:
Go to Layer >>> New Layer. Copy the layer you named "Copy," and Paste it in the new layer. Set the Layer Mode to Multiply at 50%.

Step 14:
Go to Layer >>> New Layer. Go to Edit >>> Copy Visible >>> Edit >>> Paste. If necessary go to Layer >>> Anchor Layer. Go to Filters >>> Map >>> Make Seamless. Go to Filters >>> Distorts >>> IWarp. More fun! Attack your graphic with some awesome effects. When you are done, OK it and erase anything you do not want. Set the Layer Mode to Lighten Only at 20%. Here is how mine turned out:

Step 15:
Go to Layer >>> New Layer. Copy the layer you named "Copy," and Paste it in the new layer. Duplicate the layer 4 times, moving each layer to a different location of the image. It should look something like this:

After that is done, go through each of those layers and go to Layer >>> Layer to Image Size. Here comes the fun! Use IWarp to crazify your graphic again for each of those layers. When you are done, erase anything that you do not want, and set the layer modes to soft light and/or overlay at different opacity levels. Anything that works for you. Here is how mine turned out:

Step 16:
Go to Layer >>> New layer. Go to Edit >>> Copy Visible >>> Edit >>> Paste. If necessary, go to Layer >>> Anchor Layer. Do another Gradient Map with color choices of your choosing (I chose yellow and blue). Set the Layer Mode to Hue at 20%. Here is how mine turned out:

Step 17:
Go to Layer >>> New layer. Go to Edit >>> Copy Visible >>> Edit >>> Paste. If necessary, go to Layer >>> Anchor Layer. Do another Gradient Map with black (000000) and white (FFFFFF) colors. Set the Layer Mode to Color at 30%. Here is how mine turned out:

Step 18:
Go to Layer >>> New layer. Go to Edit >>> Copy Visible >>> Edit >>> Paste. If necessary, go to Layer >>> Anchor Layer. Go to Filters >>> Map >>> Displace >>> Click OK. Set the Layer Mode to Grain Merge at 30%.

Step 19:
Go to Layer >>> New layer. Go to Edit >>> Copy Visible >>> Edit >>> Paste. If necessary, go to Layer >>> Anchor Layer. Open IWarp and make effects around your Sprite. When you are done OK it and erase anything that you don't like. Add anything you want...text, border, etc... and you are done! here is my finished product:

I added a green and blue gradient map, and took away some things I found unnecessary.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:27 PM
BK
View Lilac Rosewillow's Photo Album
Lilac Rosewillow's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Patriot Pixie's 2012 Award Riddle Participant's Award Summer 2012 Award 
Total Awards: 3

Lilac Rosewillow has disabled reputation
Wow this is great! Thanks so much! I know that this is four years old but it was really helpful! Please do more!!!
xoxo
-Lilac Rosewillow