View Single Post
Old 03-23-2019, 04:18 AM
Is in my comfy place
View Blaze_of_Glory's Photo Album
Blaze_of_Glory's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Friendship Award 2019 Fourth of July 2019 Arcade Champ Arcade Champ Arcade Champ Halloween 2017 Award Scavenger Hunt 2017 Award Arcade Champ 
Total Awards: 87

My Mood: Reading
Blaze_of_Glory glows with pixie dustBlaze_of_Glory glows with pixie dustBlaze_of_Glory glows with pixie dustBlaze_of_Glory glows with pixie dustBlaze_of_Glory glows with pixie dustBlaze_of_Glory glows with pixie dust
Water Talent Light Talent Animal Talent
Soraya

"Soraya! Did you take my earrings?" Amani bounded into my room, hands on her hips.
"Of course not!" I adjusted the golden coronet that sat atop my long brown hair, styled into curled ringlets by two of the royal hairdressers. "Why is your first thought always to suspect me? You probably just misplaced them."
She rolled her eyes. "How many times have I just 'misplaced' something, compared to how often you've 'borrowed' something from me, then promptly lost it?" Amani snatched up a pair of sapphire earrings from my dresser. "Okay, I guess these will do for now."
"Hey!" I protested indignantly. It wasn't entirely unfair; I did have a bad habit of being scatterbrained at times, but as always, my sister had to get her own way. And I distinctly did not remember borrowing any jewelry from her.
She studied me for a moment, her expression softening. "You look great."

I'd never had an interest in balls and parties, finding them to be a waste of time. I'd much rather take a carpet ride over the wide open plains, or go on an adventure deep in the Enchanted Forest. But if I had to go to this one, at least I'd try to have some fun with it. My deep red dress was made of a soft, flowing fabric that floated around me like a cloud when I twirled around. I smiled, arranging the flowing red ribbon around my shoulders. "Not nearly as good as you." In contrast to my loose, flowy garments, Amani was dressed in a close-fitting gown of deepest blue, with a golden tiara perched atop her head, her hair in a long braid over one shoulder. She looked like a queen.
Just then, Mom poked her head into the room, beaming at the sight of us. "Oh, my darlings, you look wonderful." Then her smile fades and a shadow seems to fall over her face. "I'm afraid I have some bad news. Your father and I won't be able to make it to the ball today."
Amani was on her feet in a flash. "Why? What's wrong? Is there some sort of emergency?"Mom hesitated for a moment before answering her. "Not an emergency, but it's not a good time for us to leave the kingdom right now. It's not just the oasis that has dried up. Multiple streams and small creeks have gone dry as well. There's serious water shortages in the area, and we need to help the villagers. We may need to prepare for a drought."

I frowned. Now this was a serious problem. Agrabah was a desert kingdom, and if all our sources of water were drying up, we had a serious issue on our hands. We hadn't had a drought in nearly a decade, though. Maybe there really was something out of the ordinary with the weather this year.
"Maybe I shouldn't go either," my sister fretted. "I should probably stay and help out - "
"No," Mom told her, smiling again. "It may be nothing, just a dry spell that will pass. If worst comes to worst, we can always ask for magical assistance. It's Soraya's first time meeting all the other descendants and their families, you can't miss it. Be sure to take care of your sister."
I placed my hands firmly on my hips. "I can take care of myself, thank you very much!"
Mom laughed. "Of course you can. My little warrior." She kissed the top of my head. "Don't worry about us. You two have a great time."

I stood on the edge of the magic carpet, arms spread wide like I was trying to take flight. The world below was a blur of greens and browns, everything looking tiny and insignificant from this distance. Some might have been afraid to stand like this, but I knew Carpet wouldn't let me fall. I enjoyed the sensation of the wind in my hair and the loose, silky folds of my skirts.

"Would you sit down?" Amani scolded, sitting cross-legged in the center, prim as always. "It took hours to do your hair! You want to make a good first impression, don't you?"
I rolled my eyes. "I just hope all the other descendants aren't boring sticks in the mud like you. Someone has got to be willing to have some fun around here!"
"Your idea of fun always seem to involve something disastrous following, so forgive me for not - "

"We're here!" I interrupted, looking down to see the tips of the trees give away to the famous clearing that was the site of the Great Banishment, one of the most magical places in all of Estoriana. The trees surrounding the clearing all had strings of sparkling fairy lights strung through their branches. I caught my breath. Even from this height, I could tell that it was absolutely breathtaking.
Despite myself, I felt a prickle of excitement. What must the other descendants be like?

(Liri, Night, can Soraya talk to Ayla and Noelle at the ball? Since she's also pretty rebellious and fun-loving.)
Here are Soraya and Amani in their ball outfits:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Soraya ball.jpg (221.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Amani ball.jpg (160.9 KB, 8 views)

Thank you Stormy and Alyce!