View Single Post
Old 03-04-2017, 08:56 PM
Is in my comfy place
View Blaze_of_Glory's Photo Album
Blaze_of_Glory's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Friendship Award 2019 Fourth of July 2019 Arcade Champ Arcade Champ Arcade Champ Halloween 2017 Award Scavenger Hunt 2017 Award Arcade Champ 
Total Awards: 87

My Mood: Reading
Blaze_of_Glory glows with pixie dustBlaze_of_Glory glows with pixie dustBlaze_of_Glory glows with pixie dustBlaze_of_Glory glows with pixie dustBlaze_of_Glory glows with pixie dustBlaze_of_Glory glows with pixie dust
Water Talent Light Talent Animal Talent
Thanks Alexa! And great first post.

Come on... Just a little further...
I reached for the next branch, inching my way up the solid trunk of the ancient oak tree. Sweat beaded on my forehead, and my arms were aching and straining. But I could see light coming through the thick canopy of leaves.
By the time I finally reached the top branches that were still thick enough to support my weight, I was panting with the exertion. But it was worth it, for when I got into a comfortable sitting position on the branch and leaned back against the trunk of the tree, the view was as spectacular as ever.
I could see the entire courtyard, over the tops of the buildings and shops, to the people bustling about their daily lives. Here, this close to the Wall, the buildings were small and shabby, the streets unswept. It was the poor who lived out in the neighborhoods by the Wall. The King, his family, and courtiers dwelled in the very center of the city.

Speaking of which... I had an hour, maybe two, before I was expected back at the castle for my chores. It wasn't very often that I had the time to make the trip out here anymore. The King was working his servants harder than ever, in preparation for yet another great feast where the nobility would pretend to discuss important affairs. In reality, it was just another excuse to throw a grand party.
Everyone knew that nothing "important" ever happened inside our walled city. We had no wars, no conflict with rival kingdoms like in the olden days. It had been centuries since any of us had even been outside the Wall, which was now strictly illegal - any attempt to climb over meant an instant trip to the King's dungeons. Not that much of the population would attempt to do so anyways - we'd all heard the stories. Bloodthirsty beasts prowled the land. The terrain was rough and treacherous. Sudden storms, bandit tribes, aliens, monsters, you name it, it's been rumored. Some of the stories were so ridiculous I had to restrain myself to keep from bursting out laughing. I'd gotten in trouble with the head of the servants countless times for giggling during yet another "ominous" tale of what the world was like outside the walls. It was perhaps the most entertaining part of my job.

I leaned back and basked in the warm sunlight. What did any of us know, after all? The stories passed down through the centuries were so muddled, had been changed so many times that many of them were downright ludicrous now.
I tipped my head back all the way. From my vantage point, I could just see over the tip-top of the enormous walls, making out a hint of greenery beyond. It certainly didn't look anything like the stories foretold.
The sun was almost directly overhead now. If I didn't get going now, I'd be behind on my chores again and would have to work overtime. With a sigh, I shimmied down the trunk of the oak tree and began my trek through the city back towards the King's castle.

(If anyone wants to run into Blythe, feel free to. )

Thank you Stormy and Alyce!