View Single Post
Old 11-08-2020, 11:17 PM
Hanging out in Estoriana
View Liri Dazzlebeam's Photo Album
Liri Dazzlebeam's Fairy
Awards Showcase
Friendship Award 2019 Summer Solstice Award 2017 Valentine's Day Award 2017 National Puzzle Day Klingon Appreciation Day 2016 Patriot Pixie's 2016 Award May the Fourth 2016 Award 2016 Happy Valentine's Day Award 
Total Awards: 16

My Mood: Adventurous
Liri Dazzlebeam is a talented Fairy
Light Talent
Hey! Sorry it took so long, was dealing with health issues and then election... I started writing this in September! Haha. Well, here it is at last, sorry it's so long, I wanted to have all three interactions with the Spirit of the Forest in one post.

Yue
After I finished explaining what was going on to Katerina, I showed her the prophecy lines I thought referred to her.
“That’s… dramatic, isn’t it?” Katerina said with a nervous laugh after reading the lines. “How can you be sure that it means me?”

I could tell that a part of her was starting to believe all I had said, but after growing up thinking magic and fairytales were just myths, I understood it would be hard for Katerina to accept it all. I silently watched her consider the prophecy lines, then she seemed to come to some conclusion.

“I mean, it’s just too much to believe in, isn’t it?” She pointed out, trying to think rationally. “That you would literally run into the one person you needed to find for your quest, in the middle of nowhere, just when you were about to start your journey? I mean, a coincidence that big just doesn’t happen in real life.”
“What if it’s not a coincidence though?” I asked her eagerly, gently nudging her towards trying to believe what I knew in my heart. “What if it was all… meant to happen? The prophecy mentions that you’ll find the person you seek in your darkest hour. When you were lost, and frightened, you came across us. Maybe it’s our destiny to help you find your mother. Just like it’s yours to be a part of us.”

This is all something bigger than us, and whatever that thing is - call it destiny, fate, a calling, whatever - it’s drawing us all together and guiding us to where we need to go. Whether we feel capable or not.

Katerina smiled. “I’m sorry, Yue, but… I don’t believe in fate.”
I smiled back in understanding, knowing it would take more than my words and my life story to convince her. This is something she needs to experience to believe. “I know it’s a lot to take in, but I really believe that you’re the one we’ve been looking for. Will you at least give us a chance? Accompany us as far as Santoff Claussen, and maybe you’ll find something there that will give you a clue.”
She nodded. “Okay. I have nowhere else to go anyway… and you did save me. Truly, I’m grateful.” She hesitated, then, “Also… thanks. For being willing to listen.”
“Of course.” I broke into a warm smile.
“What is this Santoff Claussen like, anyway?” Katerina asked. “How will we know when we get there? I’ve never heard of such a place, and I’ve lived in Russia my entire life. Siberia is right by us.”
I smiled again, a bit mysteriously. “Well… that’s something we should discuss together. Come on, let’s catch up to the others. We’re almost there!”

Ayla
“Wow,” Noelle marvelled as she and I trekked onwards at the front of the pack, I flew and she walked alongside. “I’ve never watched the sun rise from the middle of a snowy forest before! I mean, you’d think I’d have done it at least once, given how Arendelle is literally a snowy kingdom surrounded by woods! But nope, Mom never let me stay up the entire night. The few times I did, it was when you and I were having sleepovers, remember?”
“Of course!” I grinned at my best friend. “You used to hide under the covers after I told scary stories. Remember the one about the yeti in your closet? Auntie Calla was so confused when you refused to change your clothes for a week!”
“Oh yeah?” Noelle smirked. “You were the one who was so terrified after I told that story about a poltergeist, you thought the coat rack in the corner of your room was a ghost!”

We both burst out laughing. Dad had immortalized these incidents, from back when I was seven and Noelle six, in one of the enormous family albums we kept. He was the eternal Guardian of Fun, after all!
In fact, we were laughing so much, we forgot to watch where I was going. “Oof!” Noelle exclaimed as she crashed face first into something rough and sturdy.

“Are you okay?” I asked, rushing over.
“Yeah.” Noelle stood up and stared at what she had just bumped into. It was dark brown under the thick covering of snow, and its surface felt like… bark? “A branch?” She asked.

But it wasn’t. Our eyes followed the long, snaking length of gnarled wood. It was twisted, branching, and looked distinctly like…
“A tree root…” Noelle said slowly, unable to believe her eyes. “But what kind of tree has roots this big?”
My eyes grew huge, with wonder and excitement… though I wasn’t surprised like Noelle was. “Looks like we’re finally here!” I exclaimed. I then raised my voice to call out above the howl of the wind through the trees, “Yue! Hurry up, we’re here!”

In a few moments, all of the Legacies had gathered around the enormous tree root, staring at the branching network that stretched into the distance, just barely visible under the heavy snow cover. As the brilliant orange hues of the dawning sky painted over the pure white snowscape, we became aware of the enormous shadow that loomed over us all. We all tilted our heads up, up, up, into the twisting network of branches that seemed to stretch into the sky itself. A massive oak tree, tall as the castle of Arendelle, stood guard over all the smaller pines and evergreens, that seemed as tiny as a child’s play set in comparison. I was itching to fly to the top of the massive tree, but I forced myself to wait to explain first.
“Whoa,” I heard someone whisper, almost under their breath, as we all stared in awe.

I cleared her throat, telling myself to focus. “Now that we’re here, it’s time to reveal the truth about the village of Santoff Claussen.”
“Dad told us about this before we left,” Yue added, “But we wanted to wait for everyone to gather before telling you all.”

“In the forest hinterlands of eastern Siberia, sat the little town of Santoff Claussen,” I began, remembering what I had been told - straight from the ancient wisdom of the Guardians, passed down through countless ages of mortals.
“Ombric, who would now be known as Father Time, searched far and wide for a place to create a town where people who valued imagination and dreams could make their home. A meteor crash turned out to be the perfect location, for in the center of the crater a lone sapling had been left unharmed by the crash, and Ombric discovered it had been imbued with ancient starlight. It grew into a magnificent tree named Big Root, in which Ombric made his home. He welcomed all with kind hearts and curious minds, and the small village of Santoff Claussen was founded.”

“To protect the village, Ombric designed layers of magical barriers. He cultivated an encircling hedge of bracken and vines a hundred feet high with thorns as long as spears, their growth hastened by the stardust that had seeped into the ground. He conjured a great black bear that would serve as the village's guardian. Upon the village's outer rim, he planted the largest oak trees in the world, whose roots could rise up and block the path of evildoers. And lastly, he created a beguiling temptress, the Spirit of the Forest. Only those found to be pure of heart by the Spirit and the Bear, shall be allowed to pass into the town.”

There was a moment of silence as I finished recounting the tale. My mind wandered for a moment, thinking about the wise old Guardian I had never met before.
“How can we prove that we’re pure of heart?” Noelle asked eagerly, drawing my attention back to the task at hand. “Is there some sort of test we have to take or…?”
“We don’t know,” Yue answered. “Dad said we must make our own way through these woods and prove ourselves to be pure of heart.”

“Well, only one way to find out!” Noelle turned to the enormous ring of oak roots that surrounded us. “We’re here to save our entire world - and possibly every other magical realm as well - from falling into destruction and oblivion, after all! What could be a purer motive than that?”
I couldn’t hold back my curiosity any longer, and I flew straight up through the branches, at the same time my friend stepped over the roots.

A moment later, I heard Noelle call out, “Come on! What are you waiting for?”

“Whoa!” I exclaimed from above, high up in the tree’s endless branches - branches that stretched out further than I could see, attached to the massive trunk that climbed ever higher above me. “These really are the biggest oaks in the world! I can’t even see the top from here.” I wanted to continue higher, but I heard Yue call out to me from below.
“Come on Ayla! You can explore later! Estoriana is counting on us!”
I sighed, but knew my sister was right, and started to descend towards the ground.

I reached the group just in time to hear Noelle exclaim, “Who knows what sights are awaiting us next? This is going to be the adventure of a lifetime!”
I grinned at my best friend before flying off ahead, “Come on!”

"It's close," I called out from up ahead. "I can feel it!" I began speeding up, the snowy landscape whizzing past in a blur. "Last one to the village is a rotten egg!"
"Hey, no fair!" I heard Soraya protest, then I was out of earshot. A few minutes later, Soraya flew up behind me on her magic carpet - with Noelle, Lissa, Tamsin, and Aspen on board. We raced the rest of the way, until we pulled up short when faced with a massive hedge wall at the edge of the trees.

The wall of hedge made up of bracken and vines stretched into the sky, a hundred feet tall. All along the wall, thorns spiked out, sharp as pointed spears. Dad had said that stardust infused into the land had hastened the growth of this hedge wall. Looking at it now, I could believe it. Ancient, potent magic radiated in every direction, daring intruders to attempt to breach the village's defenses.
"We're here," Soraya breathed, and the rest of the Legacies came up behind us.

Before I could respond, the most gigantic bear I had ever seen loomed out from the trees next to us. I heard someone shriek, and we all froze in place. The Bear was nearly the size of a cottage, and it looked fierce and strong.
“The guard Bear!” I whispered, afraid to anger the Bear.
“Now what?!” Lissa whispered back.
“Ummmm…” My voice trailed off. I had no idea.

Dad told me what Uncle North did when he first faced the defences of Santoff Claussen, but that time the Spirit of the Forest tempted Uncle North with riches before he even saw the Bear! Wait… where is the Spirit?!

I looked around me, whirling in a circle, but then everything froze.

I couldn’t move, but I could see that my companions had been frozen as well. Before I could do more than notice that fact though, an ethereal woman appeared in front of me and suddenly I was alone with her.
“Where are my friends?!” I exclaimed.
“Peace, they are fine. For now at least. They must prove themselves.” The beautiful Spirit replied. I relaxed marginally, realizing they must still be beside me despite my inability to see them.
“You are the Spirit of the Forest, who guards Santoff Claussen.” I stated.
“Ah, you know who I am. And of what I guard. How would that be?” The Spirit glided closer, examining me intently. It felt like she saw straight into my soul, and after a moment she tilted her head. “You remind me of an old friend of mine. You have a mark about you that matches theirs.”
“My dad.” I replied, “His name is Jack Frost, but you knew him as Nightlight.”

“Aaaah,” The woman replied, a faint smile gracing her lovely features. “Nightlight, I had wondered what became of him. He left this place centuries ago and never returned. So he has a family now. A child.”
“Two children actually. My sister Yue is here with me too. And he is different than he was when you knew him, he is now an immortal winter sprite and the Guardian of Fun, protector of Earth’s Children.” I answered.
“Different indeed. Though some things never change, he was a protector of our children here as well.” She stated, and I nodded in acknowledgement of the truth of her words. “Well, child of Nightlight, why should I let you pass into Santoff Claussen? How should I know you are pure of heart and intentions?” The Spirit asked me, gazing intently at me once more.
“You have seen my soul already,” I replied, “and souls don’t lie. I come to this place at the guidance of another you also know, Katherine, Mother Goose.”
“Ah, my little Katherine, all grown up now I expect. Though you haven’t truly answered my question, child of Nightlight.”

“I… I don’t know who I will become, a Guardian like my father or something else, but I do know that my people need me right now. Both of my peoples. My mother comes from a world called Estoriana, and the people there are disappearing, because the people here don’t believe in them anymore. I come to Santoff Claussen to try to find Katherine, to try to learn how I might help save my people.” My voice broke then, the fears I had hidden until now were rushing out, “I don’t know how we will manage it, but I have to try to save them! Please… I just need to save my people… my world.” A sob tore from my throat, and I sank to my knees.

Yue
“Well, child of Nightlight, why should I let you pass into Santoff Claussen? How should I know you are pure of heart and intentions?” The Spirit asked me, gazing intently at me once more.
“I am a healer, and a mediator. It is in my blood, from the line of Rapunzel through my mother. I come seeking guidance of how to save my people from disappearing forever.” I replied, looking into the Spirit’s eyes earnestly.
“Ah, you are a healer yes, that I can see. But how can you hope to save your people when you can’t even accept yourself?”
“I do accept myself! I am a healer and a mediator, that is who I am and who I was always meant to be!” I retorted, hoping the spirit would leave it at that.
“Child of Nightlight, you only accept part of yourself. What of your mother’s other lineage, from her father? What of the lineage of your father Nightlight?”
“I inherited none of my father’s powers, Ayla inherited his powers!” I protested.
“I speak not of your father’s powers. Your father is a protector, is he not? And you hide from your grandfather’s lineage still.” The Spirit replied calmly. I looked down, then after a minute I met the Spirit’s ethereal eyes again.
“I… I have no skills as a warrior, no way to protect those I care about other than my skills as a healer and mediator. I do not know if I can ever become the warrior everyone expects me to be. I don’t want to let them down, but I am a failure as a warrior. I don’t want to harm anyone, no matter who they are… but I do know that I would give my life to protect those I care about…” Tears filled my eyes, I fell to my knees, “I will try my best to become a protector like my parents, aunt, and grandfather… just please, please let us continue our quest so we can try to save our people!”

Mireya
Scarlet and I walked up behind the group as we caught up to the silver-haired child of Jack Frost and the group on the flying carpet. My eyes widened as we stood before the massive wall, larger than any hedge I had ever seen before. But before I could examine the wall further, the most gigantic bear I had ever seen loomed out from the trees next to us. I heard someone shriek, and we all froze in place. The Bear was nearly the size of a cottage, and it looked fierce and strong.
“The guard Bear!” The silver-haired girl whispered.
“Now what?!” The girl from Wonderland whispered back.
“Ummmm…” The Frost girl trailed off, clearly uncertain. Then she whirled in a circle, looking for something, and I remembered the second guardian the Frost sisters had told us about. The Spirit of the Forest.

Before I could look for the Spirit, everything froze.

I couldn’t move, but I could see that the others been frozen as well. Before I could do more than notice that fact though, an ethereal woman appeared in front of me and suddenly I was alone with her.
“What did you do with everyone?!” I exclaimed.
“Peace, they are fine. For now at least. They must prove themselves.” The beautiful Spirit replied. I kept my guard up, narrowing my eyes at the woman.
“You are the Spirit of the Forest, who guards Santoff Claussen.” I stated, crossing my arms.
“Ah, you know who I am. And of what I guard. How would that be?” The Spirit glided closer, examining me intently. It felt like she saw straight into my soul - not a comfortable feeling, and after a moment she tilted her head.
“The Frost girls told us about you.” I replied shortly.
“I see.” The Spirit replied, her face expressionless. “And who might you be?”
“My name is Mireya.” I replied reluctantly.
“Your parents, Mireya? Who would they be?”
“Why does that matter?” I retorted guardedly.
“How am I to judge you able to enter the village I protect if I know not who raised you?”

“My mother was descended from Esmeralda.” I eventually replied, “And my father is no one of consequence.”
“Ah, but that is not entirely true, is it. Your mother was a descendant of Esmeralda yes, but most would not consider your father of no consequence.”
“If you already know who he is then why ask me?” I snapped. “You have likely already judged me just for being his child, so why even talk with me at all?” I turned away from the Spirit, outwardly angry but somewhere deep inside felt hurt.
“I do not judge based on who one’s parents are, child of the Piper. I judge based off what is inside one’s heart and soul, based off whether they are pure of intentions regarding their wish to enter Santoff Claussen.” The Spirit replied softly, touching my shoulder briefly. I turned back to face her, hiding my surprise that she hadn’t automatically dismissed me for my parentage.

“Well, child of the Piper, why should I let you pass into Santoff Claussen? How should I know you are pure of heart and intentions?” The Spirit asked me, gazing intently at me once more.
“I merely wish to find the way to protect my people from disappearing.” I replied.
“Hmm. Partly true, but there is more.”
“Fine. And I want to gain freedom for my father and myself, as we were wrongfully imprisoned.”
“Child, stop ignoring the truth inside your heart. Those statements were true, but they aren’t the core reason you are on this quest.” The Spirit stated, her eyes boring into me. I froze, unwilling to delve into my heart, afraid of what I’d find there.

“I mean Santoff Claussen and its inhabitants no harm, honestly! I just… I just…”
“There is no one here but me and you to hear what your heart has to say.” The Spirit coaxed. I took a deep breath, and closed my eyes, hugging myself. I finally faced the truth hidden deep inside myself, and saw the ice-blue eyes and face I knew better than my own.

“I… I came because Neva asked me to, she asked for my help. I just want to help Neva, to protect her and help her with her quest, to be by her side in this journey. Because… she is the most important person to me. I… I have always loved her.” I stood in silence, my words echoing in my ears - my eyes tightly shut and my arms around myself, waiting for the Spirit’s judgement.

“Welcome to Santoff Claussen, children.”

(Hope you liked it! I was imagining that the Spirit is talking to us all at the same time [in separate isolated conversations], so that when she says ‘Welcome to Santoff Claussen, children’ it is after she has already judged their motives/heart/soul, accepted them all, and unfrozen time - bringing them back together. Hope that sounds good to everyone.)