Pixie Hollow - Disney Fairies Online Forums

Pixie Hollow - Disney Fairies Online Forums (https://www.pixiehollowforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fairy Bookclub (https://www.pixiehollowforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Disney Fairies Graphic Novels (https://www.pixiehollowforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16098)

Onionleaf 10-17-2015 10:54 PM

Disney Fairies Graphic Novels

Has anyone heard of (or purchased) these graphic novels before? I was browsing Amazon (again, hehe) and came across these volumes. Being an avid manga reader, I thought this was a pretty neat find and was not expecting for Disney Fairies comics to even exist!

Here's the link to the publisher's website: http://papercutz.com/comics/disney-fairies

There are plenty of preview pages on Amazon that you can have a look at. Here's just an example from a simple Google Images search:

Click the image to view the full version

Looking at some of the preview pages, the character designs and their personalities seem a bit different to what we're used to, but it was interesting to see the fairies we know appear in a different art style.

Sapphira110 10-17-2015 11:32 PM

I have about eight of them, and they are really nice. I love the art, it's so bright and cheerful; it really takes me back to Pixie Hollow. The writing is closer to the chapter novels than the movies; and feature the older, original fairies (Rani, Lily, Prilla, Beck, Bess, Fira...) more than the newer ones (Silvermist, Iridessa, Rosetta, Fawn...) Plus, there are plenty of stories of all-new fairies as well as a few with Hook and Peter Pan. If you like manga, or comics in general, OR lots and lots of gorgeous art of Disney Fairies, I would definitely snatch them up.

Onionleaf 10-19-2015 01:31 AM

That's awesome! I agree that the art is very cheerful, the artists did a great job with it.
And it's nice to see the book fairies making an appearance, it's like they don't even exist in the movies. :Confused:

Do you have a favorite volume or are they all equally good? (Just thinking of perhaps purchasing one for now to see what it's like :))

Sapphira110 10-20-2015 11:20 PM

I think my favorite would be volume 4, "Tinker Bell to the Rescue", but they are all so good.

Neverbelle 10-21-2015 08:40 AM

I'm not really used to reading comics, but I love reading anything which immerses me into the world of Disney Fairies, so I'd like to give these a try sometime... *bookmarks link* Thanks for sharing, Alexia! :sigs-object-042:

Blaze_of_Glory 10-22-2015 06:10 PM

I've read several of these graphic novels, and I find them really cute. :) The artwork is great, and actually, the fairies' personalities aren't too different, though they stick more to the chapter books' depictions than the movies.
Most of them are comprised of five or six short stories, though Tinker Bell to the Rescue is more like one story split into four parts. I agree with Sapphira, that was one of my favorites too. I also liked Tinker Bell the Perfect Fairy. (Or at least, I think it was that one. It's been a while since I read them.) :)

popcorn1234 10-22-2015 07:05 PM

I only read part of one of the graphic novels once, in a bookstore while on vacation. Unfortunately, none of my local bookstores carry them (:Sad:), but I haven't quite reached the point of buying them electronically yet. I admit, they look really nice, and the one story I read put a huge smile on my face just hearing a new story about my favorite book fairies for the first time in so many years...
So I hope I can check out more sometime soon! :Happy:

Neverbelle 10-22-2015 09:30 PM

Reading all the comments here really makes me wanna buy one of these... I so long to be back in the beautiful world of Pixie Hollow!

StormyLightningberry 10-28-2015 03:21 AM

Are they comic book versions of existing chapter books stories?

Onionleaf 10-28-2015 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StormyLightningberry (Post 307841)
Are they comic book versions of existing chapter books stories?

The comic books with the same title as the movies most likely follow the storyline of the films, but as for the others, judging by their titles and the preview pages on Amazon, they seem to be completely new stories. I'm probably not the best person to ask as I don't own the comics, but I've read almost all of the chapter books and none of the stories in the comic book novels sound familiar.

Thank you for the feedback, everyone! I'm definitely considering purchasing a copy. The shipment costs are so expensive for orders to NZ, so I hope that I can make it more worth it with a bulk purchase of books.

Sapphira110 10-28-2015 02:52 PM

I hate shipping costs, have you tried Amazon, Onionleaf? I'm not sure if it's an option, but if you spend a certain amount you get free shipping.

And StormyLightningberry, the stories in the comics are completely new and different from the chapter novels, except for the ones based on the movies. There are stories about fashion shows, little adventures to Captain Hook's ship, talking to Peter Pan, and a lost fairy.

Onionleaf 10-29-2015 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sapphira110 (Post 307851)
I hate shipping costs, have you tried Amazon, Onionleaf? I'm not sure if it's an option, but if you spend a certain amount you get free shipping.

Unfortunately, the shipping costs on Amazon are exactly the ones that I was talking about. :Sad: They add on around $25 for shipment to NZ which I think is a total rip-off (or maybe I'm just used to taking the free shipping offer when purchasing things online :Innocent:). I am hoping that the $25 is high as it goes so that I'll be able to purchase items in bulk. I'll check tomorrow to see if it's a fixed cost or not - it takes a while as it only shows shipping costs at the very last step of the checkout process, which is very annoying. Plus, I have to make sure to check the "allows shipment to New Zealand" option every time I browse the site, as not all items are actually available for us here. And sadly, free shipping does not apply to New Zealand purchases, otherwise there would have been no problem at all. (Ah, me and my bargain hunting woes, lol :rolleyes:)

Daisy GlitterConfetti 12-31-2015 01:23 PM

Those comics sound flitterific! At first I thought they were the magazines they used to sell in my stores, which had a short comic on a few pages. But the artwork is more like manga and as I read on, it seems it's an actual comic book. I didn't even know those existed! :shocked:

I'm definitely going to look into these. :xwink:

Sapphira110 08-14-2017 02:49 AM

They now have Japanese-translated-into-English comics/manga. I just got the first volume this month - haven't read it yet, but I know what it's about. The comics appear to be manga versions of the original chapter novels, starting with "Vidia and the Fairy Crown"...

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...6/?format=300w

Coming in October:

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...6/?format=300w

This one is based on the book "Tink in a Fairy Fix"

The third volumes appears to be "Rain in the Mermaid Lagoon".

I personally can't wait for them to finally get this story out:

I learned about it a long time ago and thought it looked soooo cute! The story sounds a bit too much like Prilla's story where a new fairy arrives and is trying to find her place in the Hollow.

Just felt like getting the word out about these gems, especially with the decline of Disney Fairies - I can't even find the dolls in stores anymore :(