Pixie Hollow - Disney Fairies Online Forums

Pixie Hollow - Disney Fairies Online Forums (https://www.pixiehollowforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fairy Bookclub (https://www.pixiehollowforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   "The 100 Dresses" and "Admirable Crichton" (https://www.pixiehollowforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11198)

StormyLightningberry 06-18-2012 05:45 AM

"The 100 Dresses" and "Admirable Crichton"

Should I read "The 100 Dresses"? It's an old children's story. But what age is it good for?

Also, I saw a silent movie today based on a play called "Admirable Crichton" which was written by J. M. Barrie (who also wrote a book called "Peter Pan.") It was good but the ending veered off in the wrong direction, and it turned out to be a happy ending in a different way than I was expecting. I think people from long ago had different attitudes than we do today.

Stormy

Straw 06-18-2012 01:21 PM

The only one I've read out of those two is "The 100 Dresses". It's been a while since I've read it, I used to read it all the time when I was about seven years old. I don't remember it being a very long book or anything. I do remember loving the book, so I'd recommend it.

Mia_Sparkle_Fairy 08-16-2012 12:12 AM

The 100 Dresses? YES. It's really cool, I've read it.

Lilac Rosewillow 08-27-2012 01:58 AM

I've never read either one but it's worth a try! :) I think you should go for it (and make sure to post a book review ;))... If ya need any help than PM me!!!
xoxo
-Lilac Rosewillow

Olivia Diamondsky 08-27-2012 02:29 AM

Ooh a book review, that sounds pretty intresting ... so um what chapter r u on???
ha ha ha

StormyLightningberry 08-29-2012 01:44 PM

The 100 Dresses Review

Oops, I read the whole thing.

Review:
"The 100 Dresses" is about Maddie, her best friend Peggy, and how they treat the foreign girl Wanda. Wanda always wears the same dress to school but says she has 100 dresses in her closet, so there is a mystery there. The book is 7 chapters long and the edition I read had about 80 pages and lots of illustrations, but not on every page. It was easy reading.

The setting was a small town in the USA. Some of the words and phrases were not current. Like saying "good marks" for "good grades" and "to have fun with her" for "to make fun of her."

The author did a good job on showing the personalities of Maddie, Peggy, Wanda and the teacher.

It was emotional, and Maddie had a difficult dilemma.

I liked it! On the rainbow scale with seven colors from Red to Violet, I give it an "Indigo!"

I think this story might be good for girls from ages 7 to 11. Or older. Boys might not be as interested in the fashions and the girls socializing.

I have more to say but it totally gives away the ending.

Stormy

RiverLunaMorningvalley 10-05-2013 10:12 PM

OMG OMG! *gasps*

I LOVE THE 100 DRESSES!!!! It's a really good book Stormy! You should try it.

~ Luna :Paper:

Olivia Diamondsky 10-06-2013 02:20 AM

When I was in school they said "If you get good marks, you can go to a movie this week-end" yup marks grades, same thing Stormy. ;)

Lila Starshine 10-06-2013 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StormyLightningberry (Post 211911)
I liked it! On the rainbow scale with seven colors from Red to Violet, I give it an "Indigo!"

I love the rainbow scale! ^_^ I'll have to use that, too "Oh, that book? Definitely an indigo." :Laughing:

StormyLightningberry 10-06-2013 02:15 PM

The Rainbow Scale and Mass Spectrometry

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lila Starshine (Post 264915)
I love the rainbow scale! ^_^ I'll have to use that, too "Oh, that book? Definitely an indigo." :Laughing:

I thought of a connection between your fairy name, Starshine, and the Rainbow Scale. Astronomers can look at the exact color of starshine and then use the rainbow colors in that starlight to figure out what is burning in that star even though it is so far away.

:star:Stormy :Rainbow: LIGHTINGberry:star:

Lila Starshine 10-06-2013 09:22 PM

:Clapping: I love it, maybe Lila can use that knowledge to find a new Pixie Hollow in another Neverland! ;)